Got Sewing Machine need tarp suggestions

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
zelph

Re: Got Sewing Machine need tarp suggestions

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Very nicely done, samh. Looks to be very roomy. I thought about making a ground tarp, then I happened upon a Black Diamond Betamid at a yard sale for a song plus I put together a Speers hammock kit and now i prefer to hang than the ground plus the silnylon canopy for the hammock is 8 x 10 so I figure, if I had to go to the ground, I could use that. I do use a lightweight tent when I double up with my brother as he does not like hammock camping. To each, their own. As long as I am in the woods, it's all good !

I'll carry extra weight if it's for my comfort. I like warm and food

Zelph, I with you 100% on that philosophy. As a big guy myself, a couple extra pounds one way of the other is not that big of deal. I finally have may big 4 base weight down to the 10 lb. range and look forward to testing it out.

All things relative. Big guys, big muscles an extra 10 lbs is kid stuff, can't even feel it :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

samh

Postby samh » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 pm

Bah. That's BS and you know it. A pound or two less starts to get noticed after a long day on the trail.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:14 am

I have to let you know that I top the scales @ 390 lbs and a pound or two in the pack really doesn't make a difference to me. My pack ways between 35 and 40 pounds depending on what I'm doing. While I try to keep it light if there is something I want to bring and try out a pound or two difference I really can't tell the difference. Maybe a five or ten pound difference I would.

The only place when I lightened up a pound or two that I really noticed a significant difference at the end of the day is when I swapped my hiking boots that weight about 2 lbs a piece for some trail runners that might weigh half a pound if I'm luckky Now that's a difference that can be felt. I almost feel bad when I have to put my hiking boots on for walking in the cold. My trail runners are nice and light and the material they're made of drys really quickly I wear them until it starts getting cold.
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:47 pm

samh wrote:Bah. That's BS and you know it. A pound or two less starts to get noticed after a long day on the trail.

Just jerkin your chain :mrgreen: Don't take me serious. Guys like Pur and myself know what we gotta do to keep our load light. Were not sprinters, we just hike along at our own pace and enjoy all that has been created for us.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

samh

Postby samh » Tue May 13, 2008 11:37 pm

zelph wrote:...we just hike along at our own pace and enjoy all that has been created for us.

Amen.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”