Temperature Adjustable Clothing

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
muelaner

Temperature Adjustable Clothing

Postby muelaner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi all, I just posted my designs for a radically new ultralight clothing system. The basic idea is a single lightly insulated layer with radical ventilation options allowing it to deal with a very side range of temperatures. So you never have to take it off! The way the ventilation zips are arranged means you can also convert it into a bivi/sleeping bag!

It would be great to know what people think and even better so see someone develop their own system based on this design.

Ridgerunner

Re: Temperature Adjustable Clothing

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:22 am

Very interesting concept Doc. I'm not sold on the idea of the clothing being suitable for warm days and freezing night temperatures. It also seems like the time it would take to unzip all the zippers and then pull and cinch the cords, one could remove their pack and shell jacket and put their pack back on. I like your outside the box thinking. Have you made and tested such an outfit yourself?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

muelaner

Postby muelaner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:13 am

Thanks for your reply Ridgerunner. I agree that one suit would not be suitable for a hot day and a freezing night. The idea is to cope with a very wide range of temperatures rather than all temperatures encountered on earth. When in the fully vented mode it gives about as much insulation as a full pack with a hip belt gives.

I you were to time how long it takes to do all the zips and draw cords then it will certainly take more time than it would take to take off the pack and change cloths if you did that quickly. This really isn't the point though. The temperature generally doesn't go from very hot to very cold so quickly. You don't have to stop to undo a zip or pull a draw-cord. In real use you will be making adjustments to the suit while you walk. You open some vents as you walk, then you are still hot, you pull a draw cord... It's not about the total time to go from fully dressed to fully undressed, it's about being able to make adjustments as you walk, without stopping or removing your pack (if you still need one).

I have made some very rough prototypes but it is obviously a complex design and I don't have any real sewing skills so nothing really suitable for field testing. I'm hoping someone with more skills will have a go at developing this idea.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Walking and venting is ok with me. Standing in my underwear, unzipping and the re-zipping the parts together to make the sleeping bag doesn't sound too good :o shiver me timbers :mrgreen:

Just yesterday I had a wasp get between my outer shirt and tee shirt. First thought it may have be a tick the way it felt but it was a wasp. My wife was able to get released from between the two layers. With all the zippers undone and fabric flapping in the breeze I seen many more chances for insects to get lodged in places we don't want them :D

It was 45 degrees in my tent overnight and when I got up out of my sleeping bag it was chilly and I didn't waste any time putting my clothes on. I'm in a large tent so all was well. Going solo with a hammock or small size tent will be a challenge with the all in one Temp. Adj. Clothing.

When you get up and out of a sleeping bag, it has time to air out/dry while your getting dressed. That won't be the case with TAC. In a few days things will be a little ripe and animals will begin to follow you :P
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:38 pm

A little research found this web site; http://www.selkbagusa.com/
This is a similar idea in production but you have better venting options ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Shelter Skelter”