seam sealant

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
ConnieD

seam sealant

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:53 pm

My brand new tarp instructions suggested McNett or G.E. Silicone II.

I found out excellent results for flow control are obtained by mixing G.E. Silicone II with odorless mineral spirits and using a paint stirrer added to a household drill.

It worked for me.

However, this YouTube video suggests cleaning the seam with alcohol.

My tarp was brand new. But is an alcohol "prep" required?

realityguy

Re: seam sealant

Postby realityguy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:17 pm

I haven't cleaned mine and it worked fine on silicone coated nylon.I imagine a new one shouldn't have any problems..what would be on there to prevent it from sticking..just a sewn seam,isn't it?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Right, okay. It's good, then.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 am

I just mixed it by hand with a brush..no power needed there either.It mixes well by hand.I know I used the odorless spirits and I know I used "100% silicone"..what brand there,I don't remember but it was clear.Just mix a small amount in a cat food can or some other similar can..brushes on easy..looks wet when first applied and dries fine.It might show slightly off "sheen" or slightly darker on the seam,just do a clean straight job and it looks fine,hardly noticable.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 am

I mixed mine up by hand as well. Worked great. Also works great for putting on SIL "tub" floors for anti slip on pads. Before i had it, I'd end up in the bottom of my Tarptent. After, everything stayed put. I even thought of doing something similar on my pad for in my hammock so it stays put.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am

WARNING..Don't drink it!..**

**This post being for anyone that reads this thread later and doesn't realize it is still a poisonous solution once it is out of the bottle/tube..perhaps all posts should carry these warnings on public threads... :roll:

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Cleaning any surface prior to gluing or sealing is a good idea. Sometimes abrading the surface is also required. Sometimes a primer is required.
Cleaning new surfaces is primarily done to remove any processing leftovers that could affect adhesion.
Abrading is used to increase surface area and/or expose a fresh surface for bonding.
Primers are required as an intermediate layer on some surfaces (basically, the molecules align in the primer where one end favors the surface and the other favors the adhesive), they allow a stronger bond between two mismatched substances.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:32 pm

In this case,we don't know if using alcohol..whatever type..will have an adverse effect to the material and what it's made of;meaning the coating and material itself..That's what I would be leary of...I know I certainly wouldn't use lacquer thinner or acetone.
However..have at it!Myself,I'd probably take the time and email the supplier of the item and ask them..(or read the warning label.. :lol: )

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 pm

cadyak, Connie, check your SL3 and see if the seams are taped. I think all of the new ones are and they really perform well. If this is the case, you may want to just seal all the the penetrations through the seams such as tie-backs and the elastics for suspending the nest. The other guys are correct in that hand mixing works fine just pour a small amount of spirits and add a little silicone at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.

cadyak, sent me this information in a PM

The Shangri La 3 has taped seams, but I will add a little seam seal at those places.

Thanks, all. Even you, you know who you are.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 pm

The fact is, more people read at forums than ever "register" or "post".

Return to “Shelter Skelter”