seam sealant

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
Ridgerunner

Re: seam sealant

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:58 pm

One tip I would like to share from past experience is if you apply seam sealer to both sides of the seam and need to use a large area for layout, like a garage, let one side completely dry before flipping to do the other side to avoid any fine grit on the floor adhering to the wet sealant on the bottom side even though you may have vigorously swept the floor prior to starting the project. :oops: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:59 pm

This is the best video I've found on making you own sealant.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Nice video. Maybe it is where I got the idea about the paint stirrer and household drill?
If I wanted to coat a tent floor, I suppose it makes the most sense to make a lot of it.

I never had to do this before: all my Sierra Designs and The North Face shelters are taped and seam-sealed.

Of course, they are in perfectly good condition, so I haven't purchased new shelters, until recently. I just had to try the new shelters.

I have heard that you should pull the seam tight, so I put nails in the wall at the right distance to slightly stretch each seam. I stretched each seam to about how I pitch the Oware AsymTarp 1 and the Shangri La 3. I did pitch each one first.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”