Nice design for Tarp Tent

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
zelph

Nice design for Tarp Tent

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:56 am

What does realityguy have in his warehouse that is similar to this one:

http://www.tarptent.com/sneakpeek.html
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Nice design for Tarp Tent

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 pm

New patent pending products coming Fall 2011.
:lol: ..Okay..was that a trick question?

However..theirs are priced higher.. :mrgreen: ..and pointy at the ends..Hmm ...sleeps 1-2 and 32" wide.. :roll: Those must be for REAL skinny folks or they must be stacking them...must be sleeping face to feet of the other person..Yeah..that's gotta be it.I left room at the ends to add the pack inside if needed alongside your feet..instead of leaving it in the mud..or sand..since it's my "beach cabana"...I don't think their vestibule makes a covered lanai...just folds back or removable..Mine's for sipping margaritas in the shade..Yes..their vestibule goes to the ground..mine doesn't..because I was squeezing the entire outside of the thing out of 7'X12' of tarp material..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:50 pm

You need to start patenting your creations or trademark them.

Both you and zelph should sign your work at the very least.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:02 pm

I had a year long course in patent design, in college. Having a prior design is valid.

If you like, you can challenge a patent while it is patent pending at the patent office.

You write the patent office: either the applicant can "buy you out" or fight.

I would call that too small a difference in overall appearance for them to be able to get the patent.

It is up to you.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:31 pm

I don't think a patent on a tent is going to fly very far because small details can change the entire structure into something else.Most of the current designs are copies of designs 30-40 years ago..just a slight change in design and materials is all..basic tube,domes,tipis,a-frame,or other shapes have been copied,modified,manufactured for years.A patent is only going to fly for something identical in size for almost all features and overall measurements.People are kidding themselves if they think patenting something is going to stop others from coming up with something similar to their idea stolen from something else stolen in the past.. :lol:
If you make your own gear and not for resale,copy away!With enough specs put forth as length,width,height..it's not too hard to figure out the rest or something close to it.

And..NO..I'm not insinuating a "certain" named company..copied another company's plan or idea..They all copy each other's better features.That's progress in design..Their plan is different than my plan..it just looks somewhat similar to what I drew up and made before they did..Oh well.If you want..you can take my plan and their pictures and make the same thing either one of us made.. :lol: Shire's tarptents appear to me to be basically flies from older tents that have been modified to eliminate most of the inner tent as mine are..that's all.Most of my plans are the same as some other's ideas of the past minus parts to reduce weight.For instance:Image

The green tents I made up BEFORE I found and bought the GERRY blue ones manufactured in the 1960s..They were just thoughts in my head but they did come out similar in width,length,overall dimensions,features, vestibule, and shape .(mine is better with the 2 side zippers instead of a single down the front causing a person to have to crawl over their gear to reach the zipper to get out!)
My hiking is mostly summer time so I'm not consumed with fighting huge condensation and serious moisture problems...however I do add some methods/ideas/suggestions to take care of some of those problems.My main concerns are lightweight,easy setup(for a 5 year year old..and not needing 6 appropriately placed trees),some concern for storms and weather problems(but not much),and easy(for anyone) to visualize and sew...I do eliminate a lot of bugmesh because I am in the tent to sleep only.I don't need a full beach setup like the cabana..but made that up if someone wanted that setup for themselves.I have yet to use it..maybe this summer.The picture on the 3 Fingers/Goat Flats mountainside is cut-n-paste..it was never there. :roll: ;) It was taken in the backyard..another homemade tent was at Goat Flats..and we didn't even camp in that spot with the other tent.Don't believe everything you see.. :lol:
My threads about making tents are more for others on how to start making their own.Most follow basic ideas that can be used over and over again in other "models" people want to make...f they want something unique ..or features they can't buy in another tent..or just feel like saving a bundle of $$ for something they can probably construct themselves and retaining a sense of pride in doing so!
After a while in sewing,you can pretty much look at a tent design and copy it.I don't suggest selling your copies though.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:39 pm

realityguy wrote:
New patent pending products coming Fall 2011.
:lol: ..Okay..was that a trick question?

This one I really like. You were at your "best" when you made this one. ten thumbs up 8-) Have you taken it to the beach yet?

I'd give a couple of bucks for this one :mrgreen: couple of big ones ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 pm

As I said above:..never used it..that picture was faked..

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I have yet to use it..maybe this summer.

My bad :roll: Nice weather? head on out to give it's maiden campout.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”