Heavier weight winter hammock..

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Heavier weight winter hammock..

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:32 pm

I started this as a "double" hammock several months ago..but the width of my material is only 44"..so it became a heavier duty hammock with a double bottom that I can stuff a full second down(or synthetic sleeping bag inside with a pad on top of that to cut the wind.The inner layer carries most of the weight so it shouldn't compress too bad.

Ridgeline is about 8" higher than the sides and goes through a couple pieces of strapping sewn on the inside for more support.The ridgeline uses a couple small carabiners around the tree and the excess is tied off inside the hammock,once a person is in it, for a tight bugmesh.
The sides are higher in the middle for more of a foot pocket and wind blockage..the liner bag goes almost right up to the zipper line.Heavier YYK full length zippers are used for unzipping one side and throwing the mesh back over the ridge when not needed.Both sides can open up fully but the mesh is not removable,just roll it around the ridgeline.
A pocket strip is overhead out of the way...approximately 6" deep pockets,3 pockets on a 24" strip for whatever doesn't hang from the ridgeline off carabiners.
The secondary upper side tie-outs..the single line is looped around a stake with a carabiner to the top one that can be quickly dettached and hooked to the bottom one if a person wants the bugmesh open,getting in and out(doesn't need to be undone but easier and wider if it is.I wouldn't undo the upper at night,not worth it.)
Hammock is heavy,with two layers of 1.9oz stuff on the bottom side,but probably worth the extra windbreak.A couple of foam windshield covers could be taped together and placed inside,unfolded to cover the 42" wide area there under a person's body..lighter weight than a second bag..or a couple foam pads.Weight is about 3lbs and 3lbs 6oz with my treehugger straps...no tarp.
Asymetrical design..so I can side sleep or lay however I want inside(side,back)..across the hammock at 45 degrees.I might be adding another pocket for slippers over the foot area above the zipper(see the picture with me in it,where the slippers are).
I'll probably redo the whipfinishes to the ends in a brown cord instead of the white..need to do some adjusting of the outsides(pull them in a little)edges.I don't knot my ends,just use the whips.The ends for the tree hanging are short loops of straps for hooking on carabiners so I can use one set of treehuggers for the 4 hammocks I've made..but I have two sets..one for each house.
One more idea I've thinking of is whipping over some short sleeves also on the ends with cordlocks on the outer ends.I can use those as drip stoppers down the tree straps and over the tree strap carabiners..and covering the whipfinished areas with nylon socks..just something I've wanted to try.
Someday I plan on making a matching "tent" tarp for the thing,something with vertical doors on the ends that meet.I'll need to make something up and then try spraying it myself with a silicone concoction for waterproofing.
Cost and materials..Remember my costs are thrift store buys so they don't really represent true prices..adjust accordingly for your sources.
Camo bugmesh(walmart)$1.50 a yard..3-1/3yards=$5.00
Main 1.9oz taffeta nylon material(44"wideX8 yards..extra over 10' length for pockets,small sewn in triangles by zippers,shoe pocket,etc..bulk thrift store buy at 25cents a yard!)..so $2.00(figure normally $1 or 2 for a good deal...)
Ridge line and whip finish lines(miniblind sash cord 2mil/thrift store buy) $1
Tie-out lines..cheap cord for $1
Strapping for side tieouts and end tieout loops..figure $2 at thrift stores in the sewing area.
Thread bought as a serger roll for $1 at thrift store
Zippers..I got a super deal!YYK metal zippers..9' foot long..$1 each..$2..thrift store!I figure that ice shouldn't stop them so why not use them!I'm not weight concerned or I would have found some lighter ones..but these shouldn't ever go bad in the field.
Anyway..everything was cheap..just took a few months to find what I needed..more later.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Re: Heavier weight winter hammock..

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Lookin' good, Cuz! I think you have these hammocks down to a science :lol: I like the camo bugnet but there are no bugs in winter camping :shock:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:31 pm

I know what you are saying.. but it can also be used for a turkey hunting blind by people in Ohio,the reason for the camo..A person doesn't even need to get out of bed in the morning unless he tags ones with lead..make your coffee,do your "gobblin' calls",and eat breakfast right there!You can shoot out both sides and zip up,cover up, and hide when the warden comes callin' because your blind is surrounded by expired turkeys.. :mrgreen:
..and the bugmesh can be used in late afternoons fishing and some mosquito infested lakes that are pretty cool in the early mornings..or as a dew deflector from under your hammock tarp.I guess I should have said "non-summer" rather than "winter"..I still do need to get a double liner pad inside and see if the wife and I will fit inside.That was the original intent..cozy but doable..don't know yet.

I did have to fight off a large jungle cat with a big stick from jumping me in the hammock..

..But she eventually settled down and started seeing the benefits of the thing.

She's lost about 4lbs from 15 this year..so is changing from the raccoon look to the cougar in her old age...She's a tad skittish about tent floors that move in the wind...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Reminds me of the time I was hunting in WNF in eastern Ohio and I decided to sleep in one morning in the hammock. Yes, you guessed it, I was awoke by the sound of a gobbler in the hollow just below me. He kept getting closer so I ended up slipping out of the hammock to retrieve my gun and pursue the bird. Long story short, he was henned up and I did not get to sleep in. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:33 am

It looks great!!!! Looks like a "suspension tent" :o Has all the amenities of a tent. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:44 am

It looks great!!!! Looks like a "suspension tent" :o Has all the amenities of a tent. :D

I plan on a "tent" tarp in the same brown..but will have to spray coat the material for waterproofing..it'll be interesting to see how well that works.I brought home with me a couple pieces 10 yards and 8-1/2yards of "chocolate" from the other house..when I get time.. :roll:
I'm also interested to see if I can suspend it from a couple trekking poles over a "noncamp" site...and clear the ground.. ;)
I did set it up at the other house,put a squarecut down bag in there and a foam mat on top.You could feel the heat being retained by the down and radiated back to your body..so something was working right.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:54 pm

You could feel the heat being retained by the down and radiated back to your body..so something was working right.

That's whatwe like to hear :D things work out for the best :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

mikepetersen

Postby mikepetersen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:06 am

Why are you not using a camping family hammock? A family hammock is one of the best way to give complete relaxation. you can add some low weight cotton mat to get protect from cold.
Last edited by Ridgerunner on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam

Return to “Shelter Skelter”