In depth tent review videos

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
sudden

In depth tent review videos

Postby sudden » Sun May 01, 2011 10:39 am

Since my grandson is getting into scouting I've been looking for tents.
I think this is the best reviewer I've found so far. Very helpful for me at least.

couldn't get part 3 to show, here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WOqyhwZ ... re=related
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Re: In depth tent review videos

Postby zelph » Sun May 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Got home late, will view tomorrow. Hit the sack early. Drove many, many miles today :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 am

The North Face hat was the clue... :roll: ..The Kelty Gunnison wasn't pitched properly and several clip design tents(and others) do need the in between tie-outs for a proper pitch...Why didn't he set it up properly?
:lol:

Did I hear him correctly that his Boulder 33(by North Face,of course) is a very do-able backpacking tent if each person packs 3lbs..meaning 6lbs?!?!..No thanks...

Sorry..I skipped around a lot in the videos...got bored. :roll: I'm not watching 90 minutes of that..he does have some valid points..

Read my signature... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 pm

sudden,

For scouting, you might consider this one:
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/ess ... rs/product

This MSR tent and a Tyvek groundcloth that doesn't reach the edges would be a "reasonable carry" for a youth. I set up mine with my trekking poles, so I am at 2 lbs. 1 oz for this shelter.

This design is good for DIY/MYOG.

For reference:

I have listed lightweight bivys, tarps, shelters, tarp tents and tents here:
http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline. ... lter1.html

Here is another page:
http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/gear1b.html

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for the replies.

They have use the "buddy" system in scouts. Since he is just starting out with overnight camping he has to share a tent with another kid and they learn together how to share the load and pitch it. I imagine when he gets further along and starts longer hikes he might want something small.

For me the advice in the videos was helpful. I tend to agree with his idea of spending time in the tent and being comfortable.

These are young kids and there's nothing worse for them than being confined in a small space if the weather turns. A decent sized dry tent that a couple of his buds can hang out in seems like more fun than everyone in a separate tent they can't sit up in and can't hang out in till the rain stops.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 pm

If that is the case, have one carry the tent, and, one carry the poles, fly and "footprint" (groundsheet).

Bring games to play, if there is too much rain.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 pm

That would make sense for kids to share a tent and sharing in packing it.I did very little backpacking as a kid because our family and all our cousins shared a stretch of beachfront at a lake..5 sets of cousins all in a row..no need to camp!Yes,we always had a good time during the summers with a minimum 2-3 families there every weekend!That amounted to (4+4+2+2+2=) 14kids possible..all within 4-5 years of age.Fourth of Julys we would have our own war zone with the best fireworks.. :shock: :lol:
I remember one time in a church group like boy scouts where myself and two cousins borrowed a high altitude older four season tent for an off seasonal low-elevation-lake hike..that went bizarre with a blizzard and 6" of snow the second day with the first and third sunny and 70 degrees.
The three of us were drenched with condensation and cramped in what was probably a two "man" tent...being stuck in the tent the second day.It would have been nicer to have a larger tent that day...or less cousins.. :lol:
He does provide some good advice about a lot of features of tents in general and what to look for,beware of,etc...Personally..I like clip designs because they are a lot easier and quicker to setup.I do have a few tents... :roll: (Taking off shoes and counting on my toes also.."Honey..take your shoes off for a minute")
:lol:
I probably would have watched the entire thing if he wasn't wearing his NORTH FACE hat...To me it isn't about "North Face"..just wearing any hat that stuffs a brand name in your face while you are supposedly giving non-biased reviews...Around here we get bombarded mostly by REI(still) and it used to be Eddie Bauer everywhere you turned...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Bring games to play, if there is too much rain.

A deck of cards and poker chips go a long ways. :roll: . :lol: (it's a joke,Connie..)

I don't care to recommend any specific tents for people because everyone has their own needs and desires....However..The Boy Scout Jamborees and that used to stick a lot with the old A-frame Eureka Timberline and Alpine Meadow designs for scouts and scoutmasters..so much so that they made them in three sizes and have used them for probably 30+ years..It was just a well proven design,easy to setup,impervious to rain and wind,easily broken down into packability portions..Although probably in the 5-6lb range.They should be still available(ebay?) and thousands still in service today..new and old.They were/are pretty roomy and room to stand up(kids),hang wet clothes,get dressed, and stretch down the middle.A 2 person one could sleep three kids sideways..aproximately 5x7...

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 03, 2011 3:40 am

That MSR tent webpage has a video about condensation that is good advice for any tent used.

I would look at any and all tents for optional ventilation for condensation.

If you pack a wet tent, it may be ruined.

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 am

He just missed their last campout. They were supposed to bring vintage equipment, even wear older uniforms to that one. I talked to his scoutmaster and found out that they have plenty of tents so I'll wait and see for now.

I did get him a kelty 40deg bag and an additional felt bag to go with it, plus a thermarest ridge ridge rest (non-solar, non-inflatable). The Gander Mountain store near us had the $120 kelty bag clearanced for $33 and the felt bag clearanced for $7. I paid full price $29 for the ridge rest. I got him the larger ridge rest thinking we could cut it down to his size if it's a problem.

I have my old pack I used for my camera gear. It's a nice internal frame with all the bells and whistles (lots of daisy chain, top and bottom attachment points, chest straps and adjusters, hydration etc. It may not fit him yet, but for his first few campouts they will be staying in campgrounds and practicing for a real hike. If it doesn't fit, he can still use it to demonstrate proper loading (they have to prove that they know this to advance).

Thanks again for all the replies

Return to “Shelter Skelter”