Tested a bunch of DIY gear this weekend

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
gear-report

Tested a bunch of DIY gear this weekend

Postby gear-report » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Thought I'd share a quick trip report from a group hammock hang this past weekend.
I used mostly DIY gear that I had not used in the field before. :shock:
My daughter used a Hennessy Hammock... had to be conservative with a 7 year old on her first backpacking trip. :)

http://gear-report.com/birkhead-wildern ... -pictures/

Birkhead Mountain Wilderness is a bit East of the AT in the Uwharrie national forest in central NC.

Ridgerunner

Re: Tested a bunch of DIY gear this weekend

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Nice first trip for your daughter, Jeff. Did she sleep well in the hammock? I hope she enjoyed herself. It looks like she did. That rock formation does look like a dog swimming in the leaves. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm

that looks like a lot of fun and a very nice area to camp. GReat job on the hammock and everything else too.
Chapeau for getting your girl out. :D

gear-report

Postby gear-report » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice first trip for your daughter, Jeff. Did she sleep well in the hammock? I hope she enjoyed herself. It looks like she did.

Hehehe. Yeah. She was worn out from the hike and asleep by 8pm. I had to wake her up a bit past 8am... so she slept 12 hours!!
For me, the IX UQ + fleece TQ + sleeping bag would have been WAY too much. But that is just how she likes it.

I was a bit concerned that if she wasn't having a good time it would turn out to feel like a LONG weekend instead of an overnight.
She was great and told me on the way home that she will go with me any time I want.
I'll call that a success. :)

Ridgerunner wrote: That rock formation does look like a dog swimming in the leaves. :lol:

[/quote]
No joke, it kind of freaked me out when I saw it. :o
:)

gear-report

Postby gear-report » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 pm

cadyak wrote:that looks like a lot of fun and a very nice area to camp. GReat job on the hammock and everything else too.
Chapeau for getting your girl out. :D

Yep. Nice park. Felt rather remote, so none of the "camping on top of your neighbor" issues that you might find in a commercial campground... but enough traffic on the trails that you didn't feel completely alone either.
She is going to be a handful at Girl Scout camp when they try to limit HOW she camps, cooks, etc. :)
I don't think they allow hammocks OR alcohol stoves. :geek:

Return to “Shelter Skelter”