Really wanna try a hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
sudden

Re: Really wanna try a hammock...

Postby sudden » Mon May 10, 2010 10:18 am

This guy put up some nice videos on hammock setup and the whoopie sling construction/use.

http://vimeo.com/10580460
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 10, 2010 12:54 pm

I have the WhoOpie Slings and Tree Huggers from Opie, at Hammock Forums.

They are incredibly lightweight and strong compared to what came with my Grand Trunk UL Travel hammock.

I just sent for the MacEntyre IX UQ underquilt, made with Insultex, another really amazing new "fabric" used in cold weather gear.

Here is the discussion about the underquilt. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... hp?t=16117

Here is a comparison to Thinsulate. http://www.insultex.com/index2.html

Hammock Forums members have been trying it out as underquilts and as top quilts.

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for the link.

Amazing stuff. Did you buy yours from Mac Gear on hammock forums or make one?

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon May 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Duh, just re-read you post connie (bought from opie)

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 am

I sent for the IX UQ from MacEntyre. I don't have a "thread injector".

jeepcachr

Postby jeepcachr » Tue May 11, 2010 1:41 pm

JBRanger wrote:I believe what makes hammock camping and also subsequently breaks it for some is the fact it's a hobby unto itself. You can sleep in just the hammock, but any dip in temp and you get cold quick. So, you have to use pads or underquilts to keep ya warm. This means gadgets and things to buy just for hammock camping. This is the allure and also the turn off for most folks. There's different suspensions, quilts, pads, nets, different hammocks, straps, toggles, etc.

I've slept in my hammock down into some cold temperatures, I've been in nasty rain storms, I've had high winds. I've also done all those things in a tent. On the whole, I've been dryer and warmer in the hammock.

Yes you can get fancy with an under quilt or other hammock specific gear but it's not necessary until you head for low temperatures and even the ground dwellers have to bulk up as the temperature drops. You don't need all the fancy hammock stuff to be more comfortable then a tenter.

Trying to find a tent as light and cheap as a hammock setup is tough to do. Your basic necessity's like a sleeping bag and sleeping pad are going to be needed whether your on the ground or in the air.

I know some can't get used to sleeping in a hammock, but for me I will never go back.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue May 11, 2010 2:12 pm

True. I hope to use it on my first "official hammock trip" sometime within the coming weekends.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Request full report, and pictures!

I agree it seems like a "hobby" for some.

I admit I have been having a hard time sorting it all out.

It seemed to me, the best way to proceed would be to start with an inexpensive "travel" hammock, then, realizing I can make out out of a tarp "in the field" is a useful skill to know...

I "advanced" to the next step, the underquilt dilemna: "the southern exposure". I decided the advancements in IX Insultex justify rewarding the innovator, so I placed my order, in the belief it would be good for Summer temperatures 40-50 F and maybe go as low as high 30's F and then add a big fat down underquilt for "the shoulder seasons" which can be 15 F in the mountains.

It would seem reasonable to have two sets of clothes. I hope "the Emperor has no clothes" is not really what is happening.

Maybe it is astrology, but, today, I reached my BS quota.

I really want this to work out because I canoe and kayak some rocky shores. The hammock camping system "that works" would be much appreciated.

Blues Frog

Postby Blues Frog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:02 pm

DarenN You have a PM. Blues Frog

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:15 am

JBRanger, how are you liking your hammock? I sleep snug like a bug in my Speer hammock. Stumpjumper bought a Henessey backpackers model and the first night in it, he flipped it over twice so the bug netting was on the bottom. He ended up sleeping in his van that night and sold the hammock shortly afterwards. Hammocks aren't for everyone. Fortunately, I sleep better in mine that I do my bed. lol
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Shelter Skelter”