Really wanna try a hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
JBRanger

Re: Really wanna try a hammock...

Postby JBRanger » Tue May 04, 2010 2:00 pm

I believe what makes hammock camping and also subsequently breaks it for some is the fact it's a hobby unto itself. You can sleep in just the hammock, but any dip in temp and you get cold quick. So, you have to use pads or underquilts to keep ya warm. This means gadgets and things to buy just for hammock camping. This is the allure and also the turn off for most folks. There's different suspensions, quilts, pads, nets, different hammocks, straps, toggles, etc. Good times.

Then the other thing is the comfort. It is VERY comfy. 8-)

I definitely find the HH Asym tarp to be too small. A underquilt (probably a IX solution) and a larger tarp are what I'm concentrating on next. Wish that multicam was available! LOL!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 04, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm new also to hammock hanging. I'm looking forward to the days I can get out and start testing the 2 that I have. One is a bridge style and the other a regular. New adventures on the horizon. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 04, 2010 9:40 pm

DarenN,

I plan to use it with my Old Town Loon.

I read at hammock forums most people there either purchase an underquilt (a down sleeping bag would be compressed on the bottom and on the sides) or use IX insulation material (new) and a CCF-closed cell foam sleeping pad.

I understand most of the cold gets in from your southern exposure.

The other source of cold air is wind. The tarps are oversize relative to ground-sleepers requirements to bring down the sides and to, even, close the ends.

I used to live somewhere north of Seattle. The cold and wet can be seriously COLD.

At hammock forums, Shug makes videos like Minus 23 Minnesota. He does it.

I have in mind using my hammock in less extreme temperatures.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 pm

I have in mind using my hammock in less extreme temperatures

Amen, ConnieD ! I have not dealt with extreme cold temps while "hanging" and don't know if I really want to. :lol: I did notice right away that if your pad slips out from under you on cool nights, you are going to notice it. That is why hammock builders are constructing their hammocks with sleeves or other means to hold the pad in place. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 05, 2010 11:06 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
I have in mind using my hammock in less extreme temperatures

Amen, ConnieD ! I have not dealt with extreme cold temps while "hanging" and don't know if I really want to. :lol: I did notice right away that if your pad slips out from under you on cool nights, you are going to notice it. That is why hammock builders are constructing their hammocks with sleeves or other means to hold the pad in place. ;)

They should make the pads with adhesive "wings"

Ranger, where are you hanging your hammock when you're at work?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 am

I'll use the hammocks in the summertime only around here in Seattle..I can't see carrying an extra underquilt to protect myself from the cold;might as well pitch a tent behind a log or bushes in a more protected environment.
I've only been cold once in a hammock out on an ocean beach in october with a wind blowing off the water.I guess you could say my "southern exposure was facing west" at the time. :o .That was over a pad in the hammock pocket..but with a lower sided hammock.I think with a higher sided hammock I might have been better off.

Also..I pitched the hammock in a direction that gave me a view from inside the hammock of the beach allowing the winds off the water to come into the bottom end of the tarp and more directly through the bugscreen.A more "sideways" pitch to the shoreline probably would have been a lot warmer and allow more tarp protection.(just advice)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Wed May 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Check out SPE. Believe it is a Speer Pad Extender. Basically a thing you slide a pad into and it has wings. check hammockforums for it.

As for where I hang my hammock... I hang it in a park area just across the street from work. Only on lunch though. And yes, people look at me with inquiry and envy for thinking to do so. LOL!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 pm

JBRanger wrote:Check out SPE. Believe it is a Speer Pad Extender. Basically a thing you slide a pad into and it has wings. check hammockforums for it.

As for where I hang my hammock... I hang it in a park area just across the street from work. Only on lunch though. And yes, people look at me with inquiry and envy for thinking to do so. LOL!

The SPE would be very easy to make. I made one and permanently sewed it to my hammock. It would have been easier to work with if i had left it unattached.
JBRanger, be careful or you'll go to work one day to find someone else's hammock hanging from your favorite spot. :o I Chose the furthest parking spot in the parking lot at my store that offered a shade tree in the corner of the lot. No one else ever parked there as it was a little walk to the store but when a newby seen me getting into my cool (temp) car in the summer, he decided to take my spot as he starts an hour earlier than me. :evil:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 05, 2010 6:31 pm

No one else ever parked there as it was a little walk to the store but when a newby seen me getting into my cool (temp) car in the summer, he decided to take my spot as he starts an hour earlier than me. :evil:

Pull rank on him, boot him out :o :mrgreen:

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Wed May 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Nah, if that happens I can just tell em I moved because one of the trees I thought was about to fall. Atleast that's what the guys who came to take down some dead trees told me.... LOL! :o :shock: :lol: :twisted:

Return to “Shelter Skelter”