Really wanna try a hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
JBRanger

Re: Really wanna try a hammock...

Postby JBRanger » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:05 am

Got the hammock! WOOT! Now, to figure out how to set this thing up. Yesterday and today were/are wet so maybe I can get a break in the clouds and go set it up. Anyone got tips on setting up a HH? Let me know! Thanks! :DP:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 am

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Well, took my hammock and got it setup! It took me a bit as I didn't quite see what they were doing with the rope. But, a bowline knot tied in both ends and was able to pull and keep it taught. Got it setup and spent the latter part of my lunch break inside. :) I'm bringing this to work everyday!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:30 pm

They are addicting JBRanger. I prefer hanging to the ground anytime. They make a great lounge chair and my Speers has an 8x10 tarp that comes in real handy for a quick setup in the rain for lunch on the trail or just getting out of a downpour for a spell. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:05 pm

I prefer hanging to the ground anytime.

Most hammock hangers like their hammocks hung a bit higher than RR,I guess... :roll:

Well..that's the way I read it! :cry:

:lol:

RR ..sidebar..got the CF/CW rev.IV today...back on topic... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 pm

realityguy wrote:
I prefer hanging to the ground anytime.

Most hammock hangers like their hammocks hung a bit higher than RR,I guess... :roll:

Well..that's the way I read it! :cry:
I'll spell it out for you Cuz...I prefer hanging in my hammock compared to sleeping in a tent on the ground :P Although, there have been times I woke up with my hammock skimming the ground :o that's when I know it's time to drop 10 lbs or secure my knots better! :lol:

:lol:

RR ..sidebar..got the CF/CW rev.IV today...back on topic... :mrgreen:

CLASSIC
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Okay..Now I know I didn't say half that quote :o ...Are you sure you ain't related to the local even -toed ungulates around here?Sure sounds like it! :lol:

That's also why I use treehuggers for hanging ...once you set the strap around the trees and clip in the hammock,put your junk in,hang the gear hammock and jump inside,it'll stretch some..but then jump out and set the carabiner at the next loop or whatever you can get..you should be good to go for the night...

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am

local even-toed ungulates
WOOT!

Are you in upside-down Australia? That part of the world where hurricanes, tropical storms and toilet bowls flow backward? Where practically everything is "on the barbie"?

I got a Grand Trunk UL Travel hammock on sale, just to try it out.

It came with big enough nylon lines for anything and hooks they had replaced on a newer model The reason for the markdown in price? It was already an inexpensive hammock.

I took one look at that ladder-knot system and said: there must be something better.

At hammock forum, I really liked the looks of the WhoOpie slings, made by Opie.

I saw that really big and heavy guys were using them, so they must be strong enough.

I ordered WhoOpie slings, Tree Hugger webbing and the adjustable ridgeline.

They arrived. They are so beautifully made, so lightweight and compact I can stuff the whole kit in the hammock stuff sack, which is it's own pocket.

I strongly recommend it. After you get the ridgeline adjusted to suit you, somewhere close to 100" for a flat-position for you sleeping diagonally, the hammock setup every time is really fast.

Many people purchase Dutch clips from the forum store, making hammock setup even more convenient.

I like small carabiners, from my mountainclimbing days. I even mentioned, in the Introduction section, my first hammock was a Choinard Pea Pod for hanging bivy on a rock wall. Now, there is a thread about hanging one end of the hammock on a rock, which is an excellent idea. Often there is a rock and a tree, but not two trees, especially not two trees at the right distance.

Well, I kind of wandered off in my story. I wanted to say, now, I am a "tree hugger" because now I have Tree Huggers?

Are we all, now, "tree huggers" because we reach our arms around trees to set up our hammock?

Enough for philosophical questions..

Now, go on over there and introduce yourself, if you haven't already.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:53 am

I have introduced myself over there. I keep hearing about the woopie slings but still don't TOTALLY understand how they work. Any input there?

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 pm

do a search on youtube. i think there is a vid that shows how they work.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Return to “Shelter Skelter”