Really wanna try a hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
JBRanger

Really wanna try a hammock...

Postby JBRanger » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:50 pm

So, I got to try a hammock for a few mins on my last hike. Man, I really want to try a hammock as a shelter now. Really comfy. The one I was in was a HH. I have NO sewing skills. Should I attempt to make one or buy one?

irrationalsolutions

Re: Really wanna try a hammock...

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:45 pm

well i have any extra hh expedition that has never been hung that i could be talked out of for the right price. :lol:

but i love mine that i use. all it really needs is a bigger tarp and a few stakes to stake out the hammock side lines and the tarp.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Hammocks aren't too hard to make or sew,with minimal sewing skills needed to do so.Mostly what is needed is ambition and a willingness to learn as you go.There are a lot of sites that have hammock making instructions..including this one somewhat.(see the "shelter" forums..)
The time factor isn't really great to sew one up and the projects can be broken down as a "tarp"(useful for other purposes and shelters) and the "hammock" itself.Bugscreens can be on permanent,openable,or totally removable..depending on what conditions you plan on using the thing.
On the other hand,for a reasonable price you can buy one already made that has the features you desire and not have to mess with anything other than hanging and sleeping in the thing.If you liked the hennessy you tried,you may want to go ahead and buy one.If you decide you'd rather have something else down the line,you can probably sell it again for what you paid for it.Hammocks don't really get a lot of wear and tear and usually don't get dirty as tents do..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks alot for the input. Yes, I have checked out some other other posts.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:48 am

I thought of sewing one up but got too busy with other things so I purchased 2, one regular and one "Bridge" style. I want to compare the two on my first outing for this year. I'll do it locally at my favorite campground. The weather forcast will be watched to be sure all things are in my favor. :mrgreen: I'm a "side" sleeper and the ground has been my "goto" choice when out on an adventure. I'll see if I can adapt to hanging from trees. ;)

I have a Warbonnet and a custom made "GrizzBridge" made by "Professor Hammock"

See if you can talk irrationalsolutions down to a good deal on his Hennessy hammock.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:39 pm

zelph wrote:See if you can talk irrationalsolutions down to a good deal on his Hennessy hammock.

Already working on that! :mrgreen:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:13 pm

JBRanger wrote:
zelph wrote:See if you can talk irrationalsolutions down to a good deal on his Hennessy hammock.

Already working on that! :mrgreen:

if you can't pry that one out of IRA's hands i've got a HH Hyperlite Backpacker with the undercover and pad and overcover and snakeskins and treehuggers. as new.

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 am

IRA, give him a deal he can't refuse...........it'll get you closer to your motorcycle ;)

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 pm

He did in fact give me a deal I can't refuse. Just working out some details now.... :DP:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:53 pm

JBRanger wrote:He did in fact give me a deal I can't refuse. Just working out some details now.... :DP:

Great!!! you both come out ahead :D

Return to “Shelter Skelter”