Really wanna try a hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
ConnieD

Re: Really wanna try a hammock...

Postby ConnieD » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

The amsteel blue is very strong.

You do not use knots. The line has loops formed in the ends you may use as part of the easy knots they show you, or you may use a toggle, a carabiner or a ring, or use the webbing to make an easily removeable knot they show you.

Once set up, the WhoOpie slings are adjustble, as is the ridgeline, because the free ends are used to adjust the length, because they slide inside the spliced channel inside the amsteel blue.

I like the simple knots and two small carabiners.

After you see some different setups, you will have your preference, no doubt. They are really simple.

Shrug has funny videos on YouTube.

Maybe, look at the knot-guy first! Opie.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm

i used the HH knot system the first time out with mine. it's not that difficult to tie, and unties easily.

after that first trip i tried the Niteize Figure Nines. never had a problem with fraying of the spectra lines. they worked just great, and were faster to set up than any knot-work could possibly be.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:41 am

Yea after watching some vids and seeing some pics I think I see how it works.

As for my setup. I just have a simple bowline left in the line. I run the line through the tree huggers and back through the bowline. Pull tight and just put in a small hitch knot and it stays put. Real fast. Or atleast fast enough for me as I don't have to retie the bowlines every time. They just stay there.

I really wanna give the woopie slings a go as I hear they are faster and a little lighter. So far, I'm loving this thing. Even with my way of setting it up it's still faster than setting up my TT Contrail and I could set it up REALLY fast! It's just nice to setup camp real fast and kick back, or go help other friends finish their setups. Good times. Thanks for the info.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 03, 2010 9:28 am

Now you have to have a roof over your head and a cover for mosquitoes.(do they have toes? :roll: )

Is there a time savings after adding the amenities compared to setting up the Contrail?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 am

Um, with rain fly, an additional amount of time to get it just right but it's just the asymmetrical fly. I'm sure for harder rain or winter a larger tarp is in order (looks at the thread about a multicam tarp). So, yea probably a bit more with the tarp as well. However, if I add on the asymm tarp and buncle it all up inside the snake skins and leave it all attached it would be slightly faster. Of course we're talking sub minute differences here so.... Oh well, it's still fast, and WAY more comfy than sleeping on the ground! :lol:

.... oh and yes it does have a built in mosquito netting (EXTREMELY important here in the SE).

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 03, 2010 6:39 pm

I understand an assym tarp is for reasonably good weather and wind protection requires a MacCat Deluxe size tarp with tie-outs or the tent-pole in "pockets" mentioned over at the Hammock Forum. It is called the tarp pole modification: http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id64.html scroll down the page.

How long is your hammock with you in it? Then a minimum of + 6" on each end to keep off rain, plus some provision for a "rain drop" (a piece of string, a piece of webbing hanging down).

I am thinking, I would like the one with the "tent-pole" in pockets, but in the tarp I like best.

Some people over there use a Bishop's bag, open on both ends gathered by a string like any ditty bag.

Some people over there say they put their tarp in a mesh pocket, outside their pack, because it is likely to be wet.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am

So, I got to try a hammock for a few mins on my last hike. Man, I really want to try a hammock as a shelter now. Really comfy.

I'm new to hammock use. Have not hung mine yet. I look at the hammock as a sleeping pad/bed. I don't look at it as a shelter A tent would be a shelter. A tarp would be the the shelter for the hammock.

Do hammockers swing in the breeze? :D On windy, rainy days/nights do the tarps prevent movement of the hammocks?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 am

Generally asymetrical hammocks have tie-outs at those points to widen the hammock and to prevent that swinging in the breeze,but I haven't tried mine in hurricanes. :roll: ..no noticeable rock in beach breezes but I was hanging with one end more into the wind.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 am

I bought a Grand Trunk UL Travel hammock to not spend too much money, if I don't like it. Now, I have ordered a tarp intended for the hammock. It is the minimum 6" on either end longer than the hammock.

I have been really inspired by this particular thread.

The reason? Because I am that new to hammock camping, it is completely new. I read about it in the forums, but I have never met a hammock camper and I do not know anyone considering hammock camping in my everyday life.

It seems to be an AT phenomenon. Is it?

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue May 04, 2010 12:37 pm

ConnieD wrote:It seems to be an AT phenomenon. Is it?

Hennessy Hammocks are a really big thing with the kayakers/canoers in the PNW and SW British Columbia.
i bought one and used it for one season but found it too cold at night. but that was camping on islands on the open ocean.
i've gone back to ground with an MSR Hubba tent.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Shelter Skelter”