Really wanna try a hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
JBRanger

Re: Really wanna try a hammock...

Postby JBRanger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Oh sorry. A full report is definitely due.

I'm loving my hammock. I've used it on several trips now. Coldest night was the last trip and that was high 40's. I have a poncho liner as an UQ and it works well to about 50. I truly need a warmer UQ, rather maybe a better fitting UQ. The fit is just as important as the rest of it. If you have ANY air gaps you will get a cold spot.

I'm currently gathering material for a winter UQ. It's looking like winter is approaching quickly so I better get to it.

All in all, extremely comfortable, once you get used to it and find your "sweet spot".

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:04 pm

An underquilt is something I may have to look into for a DIY project. I wonder if Zelph will ever have a review of his Blackbird? :o :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:08 am

Ridgerunner wrote:An underquilt is something I may have to look into for a DIY project. I wonder if Zelph will ever have a review of his Blackbird? :o :lol:

I missed my chance of trying it out in warm weather :( The cold is upon us and would never get to sleep without being toasty warm :o I'll see if I can make something work inside my greenhouse to support it. In the middle of winter I'll be hanging in the sunshine :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:59 am

or you could just put a couple large eye-screws on each side of your den and watch the ballgame while you are hanging in total comfort! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:44 am

I know I've seen posts on the net for 2x4 "hammock stands"..that look good and are functional to boot!Maybe you should try the blackbird in your greenhouse...I doubt it'll ever see the great outdoors... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:07 am

There are hollow tube steel hammock stands for "backyard hammocks" I have considered. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm going to work something out, maybe go south, way south :lol:

There are hollow tube steel hammock stands for "backyard hammocks" I have considered. :D

That's easy, I like easy............great idea :D I can then adapt the 2" tubing into my flu pipe :o

mikepetersen

Postby mikepetersen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 am

Travel with a hammock which has under quilt and try to use a hammock trap to get some relief from any cold and rainy condition.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 pm

mikepetersen wrote:Travel with a hammock which has under quilt and try to use a hammock trap to get some relief from any cold and rainy condition.

You mean a hammock tarp. My wife and I will be testing a new tarp in the next few days. going to a local private park for a big campout gathering.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”