Fire for your shelter

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
zelph

Fire for your shelter

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:39 pm

I was at a museum yesterday and saw the layout of a wood fire used inside of a Hut type living structure used by native Americans. Thought it was interesting and worth a try this coming summer.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Fire for your shelter

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Nice, self-contained. You just would not want to burn Osage as sparks tend to rocket at anytime! :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:54 pm

It would be interesting to hear from the experts(Natives) what wood they used. I would imagine that the fire would have been under constant watch.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Ridgerunner wrote: You just would not want to burn Osage as sparks tend to rocket at anytime!

likewise with Western Red Cedar. it burns hot and fast but constantly throws sparks.
i'm not sure what type of wood would be best for that situation. maybe spruce or fir? hardwood? it might help to know what part of the world that exhibit is supposed to depict. eg: mahogany is a weed in SE Asia. :o
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

NePilgrim

Postby NePilgrim » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Anyone know what type of base is used to pile the wood on, such as material of the base? Nowadays, we have several things we could use, but was curious what native Indians would've used. Stone maybe?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:48 pm

To me it appears whoever built the display had no concept of fire,sparks,what burns and what doesn't burn..I don't think native americans were that stupid to have their mats so close to the firepit.I think Zelph should contact the museum's curator and ask him those questions...Somebody screwed up bigtime on that display..anybody that's ever sat around a campfire dodging sparks knows better than that.How much you wanna bet the display builder lives in NEW downtown Manhattan..after the big bead sale?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:24 am

All my research says the fires were on bare ground. Leather clothing is resistant to sparks.

The display needs to be changed to show a smaller fire. Indians make small fires, white man make huge fires.(Dances With Wolves) :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Leather clothing is resistant to sparks.

Grass mats aren't... :lol: Personally..I think it was the display builder trying to squeeze ALL a teepee's or other dwelling's contents into a space 1/10 of the true size or less,hoping no one would notice or question its authenticity... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:13 pm

museums around the world have destroyed many historical Kayaks just by the way they display them. the shape of the boat is no where near what it's supposed to be. people who survey these bent and twisted kayaks have to extrapolate what they think the boats' shape originally was.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 05, 2010 8:21 pm

I think that type of layout for a "campfire" is right out of Boy's Life, in the 1950's, a scout magazine.

Maybe the Boy Scouts are still teaching that layout for a "campfire"?

By the way: Firewood that is dry, or, isn't high-pitch doesn't throw sparks.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”