Hmm..ponchos as hammock tarps..

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Re: Hmm..ponchos as hammock tarps..

Postby realityguy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:02 pm

It looks too short :o Your going to get wet during the rain storm :mrgreen:

As I said..I can use smaller carabiners(those big ones I had at the moment is all) and snug the tarp right down to the hammock..and easily add 1oz socks to help cover the ends also...leaks won't be a problem...It covers on the sides well.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:40 am

zelph wrote:It looks too short :o Your going to get wet during the rain storm :mrgreen:

Make another one ;)

I think it would be longer if he turns it the other way and makes the sides the ends! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:44 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
zelph wrote:It looks too short :o Your going to get wet during the rain storm :mrgreen:

Make another one ;)

I think it would be longer if he turns it the other way and makes the sides the ends! :lol:

one thing i found with my HH.
the "regular" fly just wasn't big enough. the larger "Hex-Fly" was the way to go.
now that i've gone back to ground the hex-fly is my tarp.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:36 am

I've got bigger tarps..that wasn't the idea.The idea was to make a dual purpose poncho that could be used for a hammock fly also.Being Goretex,I can pitch it tight to the hammock to where there are no holes and possible leaks and it'll still breath but be waterproof.
Carrying larger tarps means carrying heavier tarps..if I use the same weight materials.Using the tarp as both poncho and tarp saves me packing 12oz and even more if I had to carry a larger tarp and rainjacket.The Goretex was 5x7 and I had no options for something larger.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:38 pm

The Goretex was 5x7 and I had no options for something larger.

You did good!!!!! :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

jounderw

Postby jounderw » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:23 pm

So I have been camping my whole life and have had to use ponchos as tarps countless times. Its called resourcefulness and frugality. ha. But yeah I have also seen someone use old ponchos or buy really cheap new ones and fasten them all together to make a huge tarp, a tent, and a floor. We use them sometimes as rain tarps when we use our nylon hammocks.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:41 pm

I didn't get in much hiking or camping this year and haven't really used the poncho but do take it along on some hikes as an emergency item ..as a "porch" for a smaller tent or hammock cover for the brown hammock.The few trips I went on it never really rained except for one time when I found out mycamo dome/tipi tent leaked a little in a downpour on a Toleak Point hike along the coast.I carried a hammock tarp that trip which the wife and me just spread over us and went back to sleep,never getting wet.
On the way hiking out the next day the beaches were lined with tents and bags spread out across logs or wherever people could hang them to dry out after the real drencher.. :lol: ..Not for us though..The camo held up nice other than sagging a bit from all the water.Under the tent when packing was the only dry area around.
I've added a couple tiny carabiners to the Goretex/hammock package to lock it right down over the hammock if I ever need to..Since the fabric breathes,it should work fine.I never did figure out an overall weight,kind of depends on where I hike and what size the trees are averaging.
The brown hammock/goretex poncho weighs 2lb-5oz with it's normal straps and what's needed for hanging on say 6" diameter trees.That includes a couple small carabiners for snugging the poncho down and tie-off ropes..I don't think the 4-stakes are in there.That does include the built-on mesh,pockets inside, and whatever is needed for setting it up,except those stakes.I like packing stakes in other containers to protect tents and hammocks..and being able to use the stakes for SEVERAL sets of gear...When you've got a lot of tents,it doesn't make sense to havestakes for each one.. :roll:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:03 am

I carried a hammock tarp that trip which the wife and me just spread over us and went back to sleep,never getting wet.

Nice to have had it with you and made for an easy fix to the problem..........good one.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03 am

My DIY 8x10 speers rainfly is so lightweight and takes up hardly any room that it makes sense to always pack it. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:23 am

I usually pack an extra hammock tarp as well..never know when you are going to need a dining room to go with the bedroom... ;)
That 5x7 goretex was to see how small I could get and still be comfortable using a 1lb pack for an overnight..just didn't get to do the solo trip on the coast I wanted to do this year. :cry:

Return to “Shelter Skelter”