Combining lightweight tents with hammock tarps .....

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Combining lightweight tents with hammock tarps .....

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:48 pm

I spent a lot of today trying out different configurations of using a super lightweight tent with a hammock tarp partially suspended over the tent for more room,a better covered entry(especially if water can go in your tent with the door open!)..here's some pictures and variable for pitching..and the original 1lb-13oz tent:

This tarp is the one I made with the optional drop down corners on two corners(some pictures show them tied up).I'm thinking of adding the other two corners;pretty handy for more coverage with minimum weight added,when wanted,straightout or down..lots of options!The pitches shown are all different with different coverage here and there only adding my second leki trekking pole(modified 90 degree whacked-off handles),some using the same tie-outs as the tent,others using more stakes,etc..etc..just some ideas of what you can gain as far as covered areas for cooking,gear storage,shade,whatever with a minimal amount of weight gain..as our weather gets worse here in the PNW....Just something to think about!
I can pitch the tarp over the entire tent for double wall protection(and more side protection) if needed also.Total weight of the tent,tarp,stakes,17 stakes,one small pole(not counting the treks) is right at around 3lbs.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Re: Combining lightweight tents with hammock tarps .....

Postby DarenN » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:17 pm

good stuff RG!!
i used my Hennessy Hex Fly over my tarp tent back in July. saved me from a wet week. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Same here for the monsoon we encountered at Goat Flats..I'm SO GLAD I packed that hammock tarp along at the last minute.. ;)
I still want to travel light but need to about double my weight on the sleeping bag.I'm looking(crossing fingers) at two more overnight trips on the coast this month and the weather can change awful quick out there,hopefully leaving here tomorrow for one..better safe than sorry!
It had to be pretty close to freezing last night around here.. :o..You must of had about the same,Daren.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:52 pm

realityguy wrote: It had to be pretty close to freezing last night around here.. :o..You must of had about the same,Daren.

Yep! :( the last few tomatos got frost bit. :( i didn't leave the house till later in the day so i didn't have to scrape windows. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:24 pm

We got the frost last night also. I went over to Stumpjumpers and my gourd plot looked brown and dead. The leaves turned overnight.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:59 pm

We have a ton of green tomatoes that aren't going to make it,especially big romas.On the other hand..the chojuro asian pears are going gangbusters so well I had to pick some yesterday to keep the tree from breaking..still a lot on the tree!

Yeah..some have coon and squirrelly marks..ever see a squirrel try to carry off 3" diameter pears? :lol:

Not going to the coast hiking tomorrow. :cry: .supposed to rain all week..got other things I need to do..

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:36 am

realityguy wrote:We have a ton of green tomatoes that aren't going to make it,especially big romas.On the other hand..the chojuro asian pears are going gangbusters so well I had to pick some yesterday to keep the tree from breaking..still a lot on the tree!

Wow, they are not even pear shaped. Look more like an apple.

Yeah..some have coon and squirrelly marks..ever see a squirrel try to carry off 3" diameter pears? :lol:

Not going to the coast hiking tomorrow. :cry: .supposed to rain all week..got other things I need to do..

Like going Thriftin" ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:29 am

Like going Thriftin" ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's one..I also need to clean the garage(what a gawd awful mess!) enough so I can empty the van tools in there..need to go to the other place and bring home a couple loads of firewood..and maybe squeeze a couple hiking trips while I'm there(mow the lawn,weedwhack,etc..).I don't like leaving a couple thousand $ worth of tools in a car at a trailhead near a reservation.There must be some reason the ONP tells you not to do that! ;)
I also want to sew up the undertent..but I'm short silnylon for the overtent and would like to find some more nylon strapping in different weights than I already have(THRIFT STORES!).
The entire thing is "sewn already" in my head,right down to the seams,tent clips(have),mesh(have)ripstop(have),2-6' zippers(have,one for front wall,one for fly)..I need to get it out of there! :o
I also need to list a lot of seasonal goodies on craigs now(Apple press,couple acme juicers,big tent,crampons,HP & TI calculators..while the "bite is on"... :mrgreen:
One other thing..two more wallyworlds on the way to the other house..more rural type..may have the silnylon I need.One of the three local ones is supposed to get a shipment of $1.50 stuff this week..gotta keep checking there.There other two don't carry squat! :evil:

Return to “Shelter Skelter”