"Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Re: "Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Postby realityguy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm

Okay Cuz..It's 9am and it's pouring outside..got the day off work.Materials are gathered up and I'm starting a hammock at 9:30am..loaded and cranked up some John Lee Hooker(Mr. Lucky) on the stereo,brewing up my second double mocha,sent the wife shopping to get her outa here..check in later! :mrgreen: :DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:07 pm

1pm..Lunch break!So far I've got the flat hammock sides/ends sewn up,the pockets made up,added velcro for closures to each pocket and now have half the pad pocket sewn in..another 15 minutes and that other half will be done.Then starting on the bug screen next...It will be sewn across the back and the pockets sewn on just below that starting about the midpoint(just beyond where it would reach the pad pocket..full zipper on the front side with a small curve triangle added at the asymetrical point to ease the corner with the ends sewn shut with the screen attached on the ends( beyond the zipper's length..maybe a few inches at each end)....5 minutes and back to work(wife stopped at Subway. :mrgreen: ) Moving on to BB KING! ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:07 pm

7:00pm..done!I'll get pictures up sometime later...eating dinner now..

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:53 pm

Stevebo, I have a Speers(from kit) and love it. I have been in several all day downpours and stayed bone dry. I am in the process of making another modified speer type hammock while incorporating ideas I've seen or of my own. A seamster I am not, so it is taking time. RG can make one in a days time.....a real seamster that guy is! :lol: As far as condensation on the bottom, usually not. At least I don't remember any but that's not to say there wasn't a little clamyness after one of those all day down pours!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Other pictures are nearby...The one picture that shows the materials shows the true "dark chocolate" color for attracting biologists. :mrgreen:
Inside..has about a 40" panel with four pockets about 8" deep attached permanently from about the center point towards the foot on the back wall,just below the mesh..2 about 8"x8" and 2 about 8"x12" wide with 1/2x1-1/2" velcro closures.The pad pocket holds a closed cell foam pad but will probably hold a thermarest also..haven't tried one yet.I usually hike with the closed cell pad..it's lighter...
I left about 8' of nylon strapping out the ends..don't know exactly yet how I want to hang it.if that's too short,I can add extensions.
I did add the raised ridgeline that goes through a grommet through the mesh near the ends.No hammock knot..but the nylon strapping is knotted tight and the ends of the hammock are whipped finished over the strapping.
Full length zipper on the front,bugmesh is sewn directly on the back.
Asymetrical tie-outs..with a taffeta rounded corner addition for the zipper at that point..rather than a sharp 'L'.
Weight is 1-1/2lbs(taffeta is about 2oz per sq yard)..time to make was 9hours start to finish.I used 5 bobbins of thread and a small portion off of the serger spool.Everything has two rows of stitching.
TS=thrift store buy
Materials:
4-2/3 yards of tafetta $1.25(25 cents a yard-TS
20' of nylon strapping 1.00(for a large roll -TS)
3 yards of bugmesh(48" wide) $5.00(walmart)
couple used brass tent grommets on 1-1/2" of nylon strap(old tent) $0
50'cord for ridgeline, tieout ropes, and whip finishing the ends $1.00-TS
One serger spool of 100% polyester Black thread $1.50-TS
1- about 110" sleeping bag YYk Zipper $4.00(old sleeping bag-TS)

Total cost to me was about $14...

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:04 am

looks really good!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:44 am

Today's project will be making up some "tree wrapper" straps.I've got a roll of wider 1-1/2" strapping I picked up for another dollar and have been unable to use it for anything for hammocks and tents..so..I'll use it up for wrapping trees.The Greenies and Rangers will like the width!I'll probably get a couple pair of treewrappers that I can clip all my hammocks to.
I figure in this neck of the woods they have to be at least 6' long for going around a minimum of an 18" diameter fir tree..Sometimes it's hard to find 2 trees that small the appropriate distance apart around here.I'll probably carry some lightweight looped-on-the-end 2' extenders when needed for the larger trees.
..Cut up the roll and get two sets for my $1..They are overkill;probably able to hoist elephants with them. :o ..The price is right though!
I can cut off quite a bit from my hammock end straps and use carabiners instead for a quick setup..and save some smaller strapping and reduce the weight..make the sets more interchangable.I figure 3 sets of hammock hangers should be enough.
In my digging for more strapping..I found 9' of silnylon I forgot I had..Hmm..guess I'll have to design a "bivy hammock"..something with the silnylon roof as part of the hammock and a strip of expandable mesh around the perimeter under the roof..Uh-oh..My brain is working overtime again... :o
:lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Hung the hammock from the trees with the new treehuggers...
Check out the photos AROUND this one.

I aborted the 1-1/2" wide tree wrappers.The weight would have been about 8 ounces for the set..too heavy.I found another smaller roll and made a skinnier,lighter set of 1" wide ones.Most of the pictures were taken with the wife or myself in them.Pictures do show the pocket setup,pad sleeve,raised ridgeline,and other features.
Treehuggers..Nice setup for quick change using one set for several hammocks at a reasonable price..Google "treehuggers"(treehugger.com?)..I recall they cost about $30 which is actually pretty reasonable!I spent about 2 hours making a set with a lot of monotonous zigzag stitching.If you figure in the time to make a set and the cost of the materials..it's reasonable for price to buy them instead.I had the materials and the time to spare(and about 4-5 extra broken needles).
Treehuggers are weight rated nylon strapping about 6' long(with a loop at each end) with a second piece of strapping attached to it that has3"long loops for about 1/2 the length,about 4 rows of zigzag stitching between each loop.Throw it around a tree,stick one looped end inside the other,pull out your hammock and clip it on the huggers with carabiners(they sell weight rated ones(600lbs?) for about $5 a pair.it's quick,it's easy,and interchangable between hammocks.If you have more than one hammock..they are pretty handy for hanging all of them with one simple system.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Last year you had a lot of hanging time and now comes the big question :D

Do you prefer to go the hammock route or go to ground in a tent and sleep on a mattress of some kind?

Do you find there is a lot of "fiddle factor" in setting up the hammock and tarp?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I didn't get a lot of hanging time last year because I was busy trying to make ends meet,chasing goats,..and I was also testing tents I made...used those instead
However....If I go by myself (no one else I know uses a hammock)in nice weather to the beach or a place I know I'll have good trees for hanging one.I'd take a hammock.If the wife goes with me..we take a tent,she's warm :mrgreen: . :lol:
Fiddle factors are what you make of them..I take treehuggers and carabiners..wrap it around the tree,slip it through the end loop and clip the hammock in place at the tightest one I can reach,all hammocks take the same hangers but I do have two sets of hangers.The wife hasn't tried them yet...Might get her out in the yard with two hammocks setup this year and see if she might wanna hang in the woods, or on the beachside(in trees there).Stake out the two sides of the hammock,the ridgeline across,...and the tarp tieouts are the same as the hammock,unless I want it higher on the sides..then I use a couple more stakes on the sides.If I take two hammocks,I sacrifice packing 2-3 extra pounds between the wife and me.
Weight is about the same but my own tents are lighter than the hammocks..With a hammock, I don't have to clear a space of crap or worry about wet or a slope..as you do under a floor of a tent..but I may have to "bushwhack" for some tieouts.We generally don't have wide open prairies around here for hanging because most people tent and they have rules about minimal coverage,use existing spots,etc.My tents usually cover minimal space with very close tie-outs, if any at all.Both tents and hammocks of mine support sleeppads and I usually pack a lightweight foam one.
Urination/getting dressed factors:Hammocks are terrible in cold weather or in crowded areas like national parks,designated campgrounds,etc.Tents are better in those type areas or temperatures.Out by yourself in uncrowded areas..not a problem.
Packing:My tents use my trek poles,so I generally don't carry anything else over 12" long;and both tents(mine) and hammocks(mine) pack down pretty small..it doesn't really matter.I can't speak for other brands or people's goods...
Access to things while in them:Mine are equal because I set them up with good pockets,places for gear ,etc...I'll sacrifice an oz or two for convenience.
Bugscreens and views are about equal.You gotta have something open to see anything.Hammocks are sometimes hard to get out of but smaller tents usually have "crawl on knee" access.What part of your body normally hurts?That might determine a winner in that catagory.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”