"Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

"Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Okay,I did!..still haven't slept in the first one..guess I'll just hang it in the yard but steal its fly for this one.I have some mods I want to do to that fly..add "roll-up" doors so it'll be dual purpose and the whole nine yards can be pitched as a tent also.I need to add two "corner doors" to the old fly to make it dual purpose with using trek poles,pitched on the ground(with a footprint) where I don't have trees because of where I hike.I'll post some more pictures after that is done.
Added features as shown with the pictures below..I still need to add the DVD player shelf in the foot and the popcorn machine. :lol: ..Pretty comfy!..especially with the built-in thermarest pocket.It's deep but lies flat...Low zipper makes sitting more comfortable than sitting over a high hammock side.Front half of the bug mesh opens up and can be thrown/tied back/rolled over the top ridge line.I did make up a gear shelf "hammock" for underneath also about 6'x2'wide,used 8 yards+ about 1 more lineal for the thermarest pocket inside.(by 45" wide stuff).Full lengthThermarest pocket is actually 2 pockets with a corner cut out for the valve and about a 2" gap in the middle for folding the pad in half and slipping it in and out really easy(in case a person wants to use the pad for a chair also....).I might add another row of pockets/velcro spots on the other side,for use while sitting,or just for more "stuff".

I started a few hours each day tuesday-thursday last week..didn't work on it friday-sunday..then a few more hours yesterday and today...
This is an "IR STEALTH HAMMOCK"...it's green;it isn't shiny;and the wife still doesn't know about it! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Re: "Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Postby DarenN » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 pm

NICE!!!
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:49 pm

I forgot the mesh..had some 24" wide strips left over from making the green tent,enough to do the two side pieces..add about 20'x24" wide of the mesh,36" of velcro(I have some more pockets to do with that piece yet,have enough taffeta to do another pocket set or shelf..
Nylon strapping;10' and another 12-14' for the gear storage hammock.The lower tieouts are slighty wider stuff I had because they have pole sockets built in for a pole over the top,as do the upper tieouts have a sleeve outside the hammock(I can add a clip setup over the mesh to raise it more,but not really needed..)
The ridgeline will have small carabiners(larger ones shown,too much junk..can't find my minis) and can be wrapped around the trees or treehugger)for a higher ridge line up to about 6" above the actual hammock ties.The ridgeline can be tightened inside,free sliding through the mesh,through the grommets, but not enough room for bugs to get through. This setup makes for a really solid "wall to mesh" connection,no velcro or fiddling at the ends because it is integrated as one unit to the nylon for the entire perimeter!The zipper is over 100" long but has nylon sewn covers for about 6" at each end,tying the sides permanently to the top...but still opens wide and easy to get in and out of the hammock.
The pocket set is removable and with another 20 minutes,I'll probably add a second(third?) set of 2"x3/4"velcro tabs for moving it to another location..inside or outside.I can copy the first set of pockets quickly(match the velcro) and make another shorter,longer,or the same length overall one with different widths to the smaller pockets..lots of options!
Shelf?I'm still debating whether it is worthwhile or not to have one in there..pockets might be more convenient and out of the way.One shelf at the far end might be nice..but a pain to reach it..to change channels;I'll need a remote! :o ..but I'll have a pocket for it! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:04 pm

This might be helpful..thermarest isn't inflated at all in the picture..

I don't need to break down the hammock at all to place it in the sleeve with the center small space between the pockets...just open the zipper and it's about a minute in or out.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:58 pm

Nicely done, Cuz!!! Dang, you ARE talented! The bugnet is permanently attached? I like the lower profile for sitting. If you were to use a tent pole to arch the bugnet, would there be any reason to guyout the sides? Lots of nice features at a fraction of the cost of a retail model. Who says you can't sleep at the Hilton when hiking? :lol: You look pretty comfy in there. I can't believe you still haven't slept a night in your first model. :o How long is this model?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Hammock material was 10' long to start..bear in mind that I'm about 180 and 5'-7" or so,so I can get by with a bit shorter hammock than bigger people..Any difference more than what I need is added weight.The bugnet was permanently attached(sewn twice on the perimeter of the top nylon before knotting the strapping on the end and the whipfinishing,which can be redone if there ever is a problem..no "knot" to the hammock material.Material and bugscreen were folded on the ends,sewn for the upper 2" of the nylon below the bug screen to pull more of the upper sides in.I don't see any reason to totally remove it as long as one side goes fully open to the ridgeline.My other one totally unzips/unvelcros and is removable.
The tieouts..I thought about incorporating just a short 6-8" pole in the side at the 'A' point to hold the sides out but I can tie it out to one point out a ways.The tieouts work better with two of them,why I added the second upper one.The pole idea might just be added weight where as it doesn't seem to be needed now.Bear in mind that my fly has the same tie-out points,other than the rollout angled corners so all three are in line..Here's the fly:

I plan on pitching the thing like a tent with the hammock underneath,roll out the existing corners,bent straight down(or close) and add whatever is needed on the opposite corners to complete the "doors"..in the same fashion so they roll up and tie when not needed as a tent.I want the options open if I can or not..find "hangable" trees.
I thnk I do have one more "corner" piece I cut off the original tarp for a pattern.Probably the right direction also.If I can get the edges close together,I may only need to cut one more piece of the coated stuff,saving me a lot of material.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:07 pm

And..one more thing..I don't need a stuff sack.The hammock/fly can be rolled up in the gear storage hammock with the end straps for the ties for the bundle.. :mrgreen:
The gear storage is just a flat piece of the same material with the edges done and with a 1-1/2" wide tube sewn on each end with a loop of strapping through that to pull it together and a single strap that ties(or use carabiners) to the carabiners of the hammock.
I need to get a couple more decent carabiners.I'm using some "not for climbing" heavier temporary steel masterlock ones,but I di have my treehugger ones.Once I get the proper hardware together I'll be using I'll post an overall weight for the package.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Okay..finished the new second hammock fly for this one..making it about 10'x7"-6" stretched out.This one iis longer than the other one.I may modify the other for tent ends since it already has added doors on two of the four corners and didn't cover the asymetrical hammock as well as this one does.The new hammock fly,in a shiny green:
The upper asymetrical wall points work out fine routed to the fly corners so I really only need 4 side stakes with the upper walls and fly to one and the lower tieouts going to another stake inline with the outer ones.The other tieouts are single ones on the fly.
I do need to make some extension loops for the treehuggers..we mius have bigger trees in a yard than you easterners... :mrgreen: The tarp has a couple of quick releases at the tree points that can also be adjusted for tension and tree diameter.
I'll be sleeping in the hammock tonight,still hooked up to the trees and the fly's seams have been sealed.A bird has already christened the fly so I guess I get to drink the champagne instead! :DB: :DP: :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:18 pm

realityguy has talent!!! Really turned out nice, first class.

You and your cuz will be sleeping in the "hiltons" (a pocket for the remote,I still need to add the DVD player shelf in the foot and the popcorn machine. ..Pretty comfy!..especially with the built-in thermarest pocket.I still need to add the DVD player shelf in the foot and the popcorn machine. ..Pretty comfy!..especially with the built-in thermarest pocket. :lol: )
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

stevebo

Postby stevebo » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Do you have any condensation problems on the bottom, using the thermarest? I love hammocks--Im fairly new to them, and am still getting the hang of it (no pun intended!) About a month ago my son and I spent a weekend in the North Georgia Mountains. I have 2 speer hammocks, with a really big tarp to hang over the top of us. To make a long story short, around 6:00 pm it started to rain, so we retired to our hammocks. It rained all night and part of the morning. Thecampsite was a muddy mess, but we were comfortable, safe and dry in our hammocks! There is no way I could have spent that long laying on the ground----my back would have been killing me! I like the look of your hammock, it kind of looks like a warbonnet blackbird. :D

Return to “Shelter Skelter”