"Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Re: "Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:35 am

I like the look of your hammock, it kind of looks like a warbonnet blackbird. :D

:o . :lol: .Don't tell that to Texron! :mrgreen: ..I hate to tell him mine cost me about $18...(revision..figured below in the next post:not counting the treehuggers and carabiners) :mrgreen:

I've only slept in it a couple times..no problems as far as moisture..but they were "dry runs";no rain.I have yet to try it in crappy weather yet.
Last edited by realityguy on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:06 pm

Okay..I figure I better break down MY costs.Bear in mind most of the items I used I bought at thrift stores for DIRT CHEAP and the factors will be my thrift store prices.You'll have to adjust YOUR costs accordingly if you have to buy at a retail price(OUCH! :o )..but you can get a good idea of the costs of making the same in your neck of the woods and using local markets and your scrounging:

*8yards of Fly/tarp material(silnylon)..at Goodwill at 25 cents a yard= $2.00
*4 yards of "Wallyworld"(walmart) bugmesh @$1.50 a yard= $6.00
*8 yards of hammock Tafetta(goodwill at 25 cents a yard) = $2.00
Includes the extra sides,pocket and gear hammock material
Nylon straps/tieout mat.(thrift store buy $1 a large roll,got lots of extra!)= $1.00
Roughly 30ft for fly,hammock,gear hammock
zipper for hammock(about 100+ long,old sleeping bag $4,thrft store buy) $4.00
Velcro 12" for pocket attachment($1 a foot,pd retail) $1.00
Rope for ridgeline,tieouts($1 a roll,thrift store buy,50' or so) $1.00
Thread for sewing(serger roll 100% polyester,thrift store $1.00 a roll) $1.00
two grommets on nylon strap( for ridgeline thru mesh holes from old tent) free
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total for project ----> $18.00
*Note: the silnylon,tafetta,and bug mesh were OVERfigured for lengths..actually only 10' of the 12' shown were used..your hammock length may be longer and for simplicity,I rounded it UP to the 4 yards or 144" verses the 120" I used.The extra material can make more pockets! :mrgreen:

Bear in mind that this doesn't include any carabiners and treehugger sets because these are universal for my hammocks..figure about $40..treehuggers.com and wallyworld for the cheap carabiner sets..Wally's charges about $4 for 5 of different sizes..I have two sets for 10 total..strong enough for gear storage and fly,NOT for the hammock!I use the treehugger carabiners for that.Rubber snubbers...well,there are posts on here for making those..got a couple bucks into those with thrift store buys of rubber tubing and smaller rope,need to make a few more of those but have the material at hand..leftovers.Any adjustable clips on the nylon strapping were stolen off of old now-unused packs. :DB:

The above info is for reference use only..your hammock more than likely will cost more!I don't think others are as good as scrounging as I am... :mrgreen: This will give you a good idea of what is needed as far as materials for one.Yes,the nylon strapping can be reduced and more rope(spectra cord) or line can be used in various places as far as tie-out lines,guylines,ridgeline or wherever one deems it possible to save money,weight,or for more strength.This is just a rough estimate of materials for one so you know what is needed and where it is needed.
The "serger" thread spool..holds an unending amount of thread!I got tired of buying expensive smaller spools and use the serger thread as my spool for the machine by just laying the thing behind the machine and sewing directly from that huge spool..after filling all the bobbins I have of the same color(if using that one color only..I keep a couple other small bobbins empty for matching tent patch jobs when needed)..just another idea for saving money on thread costs.
It's a very good idea to buy at least a half dozen bobbins for your sewing machine if you are sewing tents or hammocks! ;) Enjoy!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks for the in depth rundown of costs and parts.

The above info is for reference use only..your hammock more than likely will cost more!I don't think others are as good as scrounging as I am...

I think you're right, nobody can do as good as you for scrounging. You are in and out of too many stores. :mrgreen:

I know you enjoy it imensely :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:16 pm

I think you're right, nobody can do as good as you for scrounging. You are in and out of too many stores. :mrgreen:

I know you enjoy it imensely :D

The one thing I haven't been able in thrift astores is velcro..then last week I found 22' of 1-1/2" stuff(cut it in half for 44' of 3/4"!)at $1.50 per roll for each half..I used to cringe paying $1 a foot! :o

So..Zelph..when are you starting on yours? ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:58 am

So..Zelph..when are you starting on yours?

Whooooo!!!! that's a tough question to answer. Hmmmm(thinkthink) ah yes!....This year I'll start :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:04 am

This year I'll start :mrgreen:

Boy,that's really locking in your start time... :lol:

RR's got one going..If I get a little time off I'll be making one more light one in a week or two..see how small and light I can make one.I already have the tarps so I figure it's about a 1-2 day project.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:16 am

That was the best I could. It was an honest guesstimate :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:57 pm

I already have the tarps so I figure it's about a 1-2 day project

You sure can tell who the seamsters are around here! :lol: Mine is in the beginning stages and hopefully the basic hammock part will be done tomorrow. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:37 pm

It's quick to build one(Attention Zelph!)..Think about it..once the material is cut off for length,roll and sew the perimeter edges.Done!Then you add whatever you want for a pad pocket..sew the perimeter of that..Done!Fold the ends and sew the perimeter of the zipper,velcro,and mesh where needed.The hammock is pretty much completed at that point,other than a couple tie-outs,tree ends(can be nylon strapping knotted on there..or?) A little velcro strip for pockets takes about an hour including making the pocket strip.(rectangular piece of cloth with the edges rolled and finished,a strip of velcro sewn across the back of one edge,fold it in half with one edge an inch longer than the other,sew up the two ends making one big pocket,then sew a couple more times across to make smaller pockets any size you need..Done!).My next one will probably have the pocket strip sewn on permanent right below the bottom of the bug mesh on the back side opposite the door..Why not?!..saving the velcro(and weight) for other purposes. ;) .I'm beginning to think that there isn't any good reason to make it removable..or pull out of place if you roll over on it.(Attention RR!)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:06 am

I hear you RG.....lots of ideas swirling around in these empty walls upstairs :lol: This project is being modified all the time. :lol: The basic hammock is done! :DP: Now for the bugnet and then all the bells and whistles that change your basic Pinto into a Cadillac which I'm sure will come at a cost(weight) but thats OK 'cause when your in a Cadillac, you don't worry what the Pinto people think! :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Shelter Skelter”