"Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
zelph

Re: "Have at it!"..Okay,I did..2nd homebrew hammock...

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks RG, well said on the ins and outs of both. Appreciate it. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Weatherwise..I wouldn't bother in cold weather with a hammock.You have to pack more crap to keep warm.Getting in and out is harder with a hammock.Hammocks are better when YOU WANT A BREEZE..not trying TO KEEP ONE OUT. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:45 pm

I did use one long narrow "snake skin" for the hammock and the tarp altogether.

That simplified things for me.

I left the tie lines in place. Only the tree huggers were separate, in a ziplock bag.

I think an outside pocket on the one long "snakeskin" would be better, for me.

That would keep everything "hammock" together.

My experience is like realityguy ...not private enough for a campground. note: I do not want to use one of those huge enclosure tarps. I would rather have a tent in an established campground.

I think I will use my lightweight hammock setup for bicycle touring.

I still plan on using it for rough terrain, or, for kayaking alone.

gear-report

Postby gear-report » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 am

Great real-world usage comments, realityguy.
I imagine we will have to think about what the site will support when we decide on tent vs hammock at my son's cub scout "family camp".
Due to privacy issues, dressing under the tarp will likely be an issue. We'll have to head to the bath house to change, or change in the hammock.
I guess we've got some more back yard testing to do before we decide on tent vs hammock for the April trip.

All the rest of our camping is in sites where privacy is not an issue, as they are accessed via backpacking, boat, or kayak.
Last edited by gear-report on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:56 pm

So far I've only used the hammocks during the summer on the Olympic Coast beaches at midweek,so the privacy issues were nada..since I was the only person(or someone camped 1/2 mile down the beach)around,but I can see in a crowded campground that it could be a problem.Changing clothes in a hammock..is a pita verses a tent(unless it's a bivy which is also a pita.My tents are 3'-4' high so not a problem).Standing outside under the tarp is about the only way to do it.
My other camping is or will be mostly alpine meadows..which can also be a problem because of a lack of trees or designated campsites..but it might be possible in the small clumps of trees that are there..as at Goat Flats..but there is the chance of someone grabbing those few areas before you get there..with tents or hammocks.
Ideally..since I hike all the time with trek poles,I would like to construct a hammock/tent system where if the trees aren't there for hanging when I get to a site,I can suspend the hammock/tarp ends off of the trek poles for support where I can sleep inside the hammock and bugmesh but on the ground on the pad,say over a footprint for hammock protection since it isn't waterproof.Side access to that type of system is necessary because of the hammock zipper so the tarp might have to be hung higher on one side for access.or a low entry from the end to the side and more than likely brushing against a tarp to get in.The important thing is that even if you don't get a good treed site,you can still camp comfortably without them if necessary or at least have the options.I do need to make another hextarp with the "squared-off" tied up end flaps so I can make it a complete "tent" if necessary for better protection.
Making a "tent configuration tarp" or converting one I have to that configuartion will probably be my next project.I have a tarp with two flaps already(over the out-pitched asymetrical sides)..might just add the other two on there.it might be nice to add a couple larger ones that may produce an actual vestibule out the ends when they velcro or zip together or are suspended straight out,allowing more coverage for cooking,etc.. :roll: ..Okay..yeah..I'm thinking again... :lol: I'll have to see what I have left in waterproof material...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 pm

We'll have to head to the bath house to change, or change in the hammock.
I guess we've got some more back yard testing to do before we decide on tent vs hammock for the April trip.

I had the thought to maybe sew up a clothes changing garment..............kinda like a moo-moo without sleeve holes. A rectangle made of very light weight fabric. White bug net is somewhat opaque and would be cooler during the summer. it could be rectangular bag shape with a head hole.

I googled Moo-Moo to find a photo and then found a video :mrgreen:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gear-report

Postby gear-report » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm

realityguy wrote:...I can see in a crowded campground that it could be a problem.Changing clothes in a hammock..is a pita verses a tent(unless it's a bivy which is also a pita.My tents are 3'-4' high so not a problem).Standing outside under the tarp is about the only way to do it....
Making a "tent configuration tarp" or converting one I have to that configuartion will probably be my next project.I have a tarp with two flaps already(over the out-pitched asymetrical sides)..might just add the other two on there.it might be nice to add a couple larger ones that may produce an actual vestibule out the ends when they velcro or zip together or are suspended straight out,allowing more coverage for cooking,etc.. :roll: ..Okay..yeah..I'm thinking again... :lol: I'll have to see what I have left in waterproof material...

You might find this tarp design interesting:

Pretty good weather coverage with minimal material. Doors on ends close fully.
Full width of main body is whatever the width of your sil is. 60" in my case, although Gargoyle uses 65" wide sil for the ones he sells.
the side triangles add a lot to the weather coverage at a reduced weight vs. a full 5' wide tarp.
This one is 11' long at the ridgeline and 13' at the tips of the doors.
I've been pictures of over ~20 different ways to pitch this tarp. Pretty versatile.
Here is Gargoyle's site:
http://gargoylegear.webs.com/

I like your idea of adding doors to your tarp. I may actually add doors to my HH Hex clone soon. Well, likely a grizz beak instead of doors. I like that the grizz beak can be removed when not needed and doesn't use any sort of velcro, zipper, etc. to attach. The Grizz beak looks like a pretty quick project to throw together.
http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id64.html

gear-report

Postby gear-report » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 pm

zelph wrote:...
I had the thought to maybe sew up a clothes changing garment..............kinda like a moo-moo without sleeve holes. A rectangle made of very light weight fabric. White bug net is somewhat opaque and would be cooler during the summer. it could be rectangular bag shape with a head hole.

Sounds like a poncho would work for this, with the sides buttoned shut.
You could "Moo" when you wear it, for effect. :lol:

gear-report

Postby gear-report » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm

ConnieD wrote:I think an outside pocket on the one long "snakeskin" would be better, for me.
That would keep everything "hammock" together.

Good thinking. I put small pockets on the ends of my snake skins for holding the amsteel suspension whoopie slings. I've tried a "dangling pouch" and a long, narrow sleeve. I think I like the integrated sleeve better than the dangling pouch.
Based on your suggestion, I'll go back and add bigger pockets on the wider part of the skins to hold the tree straps so all parts will be together.
Here is how I make mine:
http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-diy- ... tarp-myog/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 am

I only use small "socks" at the ends to cover them and catch any rain drips down the hammocks instead of full skins and use separate small stuff sacks for the tarps/hammocks/and suspension.That way I can mix and match pieces for using different tarps/hammocks/suspension systems(have a couple the same)..depending on my needs/desires for each trip..depending on terrain/bugs or not/weather/trees, etc.I can also leave one mixed set at each residence,here and out on the Olympic Peninsula..according to what goes best in that area.
If you've only got one set that all goes together every time..by all means,make skins.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”