Boy scout miner's tent dimensions..make your own light one?

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Boy scout miner's tent dimensions..make your own light one?

Postby realityguy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:40 am

Boy Scout Miner's tent dimensions:
It is a real nice design,just takes material.The seams run sideways rather than up and down as shown in the bag picture.Each lower panel is 42" high,93 across the bottom and 44-1/2 across the top.The upper panels are 44-1/2" across the bottom,and 43 high at the midpoint(51" down the edges).
Those are FINISHED dimensions..so I would add an inch to each edge for rough and the door side add an extra inch for each half in width(because of the door edge..The door comes up 17" from the peak.LOTS of room inside!It's supposed to have an expanding 6' pole and some different stakes.This one has some 1/2" 10-12" NAILS!..about a 1/2 lb each.The spikes weigh 2lbs 5oz..the entire tent in canvas weighs about 10 pounds.
I think in nylon,I'd make two of the upper panels in mesh and the other two in noncoated white ripstop,providing lots of light and ventilation.Then make a second upper section about the same size in coated stuff,using grommets ot tieouts at the midpoints of the sides to hold it out from the tent.It would be nice to have that outer fly with a zipper so you can totally remove it from around the top when you hang it that way.
There is a tie-out on top,one grommet in each corner,and another grommet in the middle of the sides on three sides.The door side has a grommet on each edge of the door.
There is a 3" or so overlap sewn over the door edge and ties that should be changed to a zipper with the overlap and velcro strips as I've shown in other threads.
The interior height at the peak IS 6' tall so you can stand up..but remember that height drops off quick with the skinny peak area.
The floor area is 7-9x7-9, lots of room,especially without a pole.I'd add a 7'x7' floor and 10" of mesh so you can raise it off the ground a few inches for full ventilation all the way around,elastic cord on the four corners to stretch it out that hook to the outside corner tent stakes.It would be easy to design the tent taller by adding another flat panel across each bottom side,say 20"wide(using the same top to bottom dimension ratio..or even straight walls!) or even larger for something huge!
The top to bottom in the middle of each side panel is 86" high.
That should be enough info for someone to make a lightweight one out of nylon.I haven't figured out material amounts yet but figure about 29-30 square feet per side and 49 square feet for the floor...The middle of the side is 7-2" high and the bottom is 7-9" so you can calculate the material that way.To figure mesh,the top separate panel height is 43" high by 44-1/2" wide.You probably can run some vertical seams in thecenter of the upper panels to use up corners cut off the bottom panel's materials..something to think about to eliminate waste with the angled cuts.You also use up some vertical cut pieces along side the door edges...
Last edited by realityguy on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Re: Boy scout miner's tent dimensions..make your own light one?

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:44 pm

thanks for the info. it should be interesting to see how this looks and works in a more lite weight material. :D
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:55 pm

It probably would look like this but square instead of a hexagon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MV ... F3AFAN4JVT

..and have more room with the corners.. ;)

..Well,actually more like this..that other was only an inside nest....

http://www.amazon.com/GoLite-Shangri-La ... d_sim_sg_1
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Of course, you will have to make the floor/bugnet nest that fits inside :P and it will still be a fraction of the weight of the boyscout version! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:13 pm

The stakes were actually spikes..real spikes!..Can you imagine those poor boys packing a ten pound tent..They don't make scouts like they used to.. :lol:

I figure maybe a one sided mesh door(or two from the corners) with velcro..two upper panels of mesh and the other two of white ripstop..use a 10" mesh strip all the way around a 7x7 floor so the tent could be raised 4" or so off the ground..Lots of through ventialtion and light.Your only fly needed would be a 1/2 one for the top half(down over the mesh and uncoated white ripstop(have them both).
I think a full mesh "nest" is a bit much..the little bit you get to use it around here.It would be nice where you can sit or stand and look out...once you raise the fly..Hmm..maybe a miniblind cord through the peak to do it...? :mrgreen:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:36 am

The stakes were actually spikes..real spikes!..Can you imagine those poor boys packing a ten pound tent..They don't make scouts like they used to..

They were just getting them prepared for the kind of weight our military men have to carry around ! :(
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:30 am

realityguy wrote:They don't make scouts like they used to.. :lol:

Last I checked, the method of assembly was still exactly the same. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:44 am

I think they added a "wuss" factor..or a brain...as in."Why the heck am I packing all this weight when I can be a..."gram weinie"? :lol:

Okay..just kidding,people!..don't get excited... :o
:mrgreen:

Are there any standards for weights of scout packs/gear today?..just wondering since I'm not invovled with the new scouts..Do they have to use "scout approved gear"? :?:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Vibe wrote:
realityguy wrote:They don't make scouts like they used to.. :lol:

They enter as little peeps and exit as "eagles" 2 things they all like is "fire" and "food"
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Shelter Skelter”