Minimalist tent shelter ideas..

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
zelph

Re: Minimalist tent shelter ideas..

Postby zelph » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:07 pm

realityguy wrote:
maybe, maybe not. i have a brand new -12C (10F) down mummy bag.....

But you still gotta get out of that to pee! :mrgreen: .When that cold breeze whistles up your butt while you're putting your clothes on ,you'll be thinking.."Gee,it sure would be nice to have a wall there!"....... :lol: ..That's why I have some covers with velcro...I have the option to use it ..or not... ;)

I had an idea how to pee while still in the mummy bag :mrgreen:

http://www.biorelief.com/incontinence-products/#

My father had to use one of these systems after his prostate surgery.(condom chatheter) All that needs be done is to run a length of tube out the zippers end and over to a tree. :DB: :DP:

You'll find the bags interesting also for remote fueled stoves. :D Always nice to have dual purpose items :lol:

Click on "leg Bag/ T tap"
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

texron

Postby texron » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:42 pm

zelph wrote:
realityguy wrote:
maybe, maybe not. i have a brand new -12C (10F) down mummy bag.....

But you still gotta get out of that to pee! :mrgreen: .When that cold breeze whistles up your butt while you're putting your clothes on ,you'll be thinking.."Gee,it sure would be nice to have a wall there!"....... :lol: ..That's why I have some covers with velcro...I have the option to use it ..or not... ;)

I had an idea how to pee while still in the mummy bag :mrgreen:

http://www.biorelief.com/incontinence-products/#

My father had to use one of these systems after his prostate surgery.(condom chatheter) All that needs be done is to run a length of tube out the zippers end and over to a tree. :DB: :DP:

You'll find the bags interesting also for remote fueled stoves. :D Always nice to have dual purpose items :lol:

Click on "leg Bag/ T tap"

think I'd just wait til morning

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:05 pm

My point was that you can't do everything inside a -12 degree mummy bag(half the time you may not even be able to sleep in the thing because it'll be too hot!)..Sometime you are going to have to face that cold cruel world outside the bag..can you even change clothes in that thing? :o ..Probably not... :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:04 pm

ok ok! i'm thinking about it! 8-) i have an idea percolating that would not add the weight of a bunch of zipper. just a few velcro tabs and a piece of silnylon to cover the screen. happy now? ;) i think you might be doing this just to make sure that my shelter doesn't come out lighter than yours! :o :lol:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:12 pm

That's what I was talking about..but I sewd mine on one edge and velcroed a strip on the opposite.I think the small one I used tabs(don't remember).I can cover half(corner to corner) or whatever seems necessary.
The weight of yours verses mine is immaterial..but are you sure you can handle packing all that extra weight of that option? :o

:DB: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:23 pm

realityguy wrote:but are you sure you can handle packing all that extra weight of that option?

i'm sure my kayak can handle it! :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 pm

I think on one the size of yours..I'd use 6 tabs..3 across the bottom and one on the middle of each side.thatt way you can open just the top half if you want venting..but not venting your keister..gives you options as to how much venting you want.I think you find you'll probably sew along one side or bottom down the road and set it up so you can roll and tie it.
I'm wondering if you've seen those new velcro ties you can buy..I bought a package that comes in a roll of 25 for $5...

They have one side of the velcro on each side..sew them through a seam and you have a door keeper.I need to pull a few stitches and add them in on one tent and maybe for the center curtain for the other.They weigh practically nothing.That's what I have at the top for holding the two poles in place.Pull a few stitches,slip them through,then sew back over the spot..or just sew across the center of an open area..easy to install!
You can also use them by themselves just to keep ropes,cords,or anything together,without sewing them to anything.I think I got them at Wally's...pretty handy item! :DB: (yeah..they deserve at least a banana,don't you think?... :lol: )

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Daren..if you can't find them and need 10 or so..PM..20 cents a piece and shipped cheap.. ;) I don't think I'll need 25.. :mrgreen:

One more thing..they are 8" long so if you need short ones(to keep the weight down.. :lol: ) You could cut them in half and make two out of one!
Last edited by realityguy on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:40 pm

i have some. thanks.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 pm

realityguy wrote:That's what I was talking about..but I sewd mine on one edge and velcroed a strip on the opposite.I think the small one I used tabs(don't remember).I can cover half(corner to corner) or whatever seems necessary.
The weight of yours verses mine is immaterial..but are you sure you can handle packing all that extra weight of that option? :o

:lol:

my thinking was leaning towards making it somewhat modular.
in the early season, carry the end cover(s). leave them at home during the summer. carry them in the fall.
for the front cover i was thinking a small vestibule. just out as far as the pole, and vertical at that point. even with the top peak rolled down to create a vent, it would still be dry, due to the overhang of the main shelter canopy.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”