Minimalist tent shelter ideas..

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Minimalist tent shelter ideas..

Postby realityguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:51 am

As I mentioned on the other tent thread,I might be making one more tent..but trying to keep the "pack" weight to 1lb-12oz..using wallyworld type 1.9oz nylon..or close to that weight.I'm interested in seeing any and all minimal tent ideas with a few things in mind:
A)Larger than a bivy.Hopefully around 30-36" high in one section of the tent.Hopefully a person can change clothes inside,get up on a shoulder,read a book,or whatever without claustrophobic conditions in a rainstorm.
B) large enough to maintain a person,his pack,and a pair of boots from getting wet.
C)Must have a floor.I'm interested in tents..but tarps are okay also as long as the ground cloth and everything needed is included in the weight factor.I don't think mud makes a necessary floor... :lol:
D)Ideas using a minimal amount of sewing.
E)Ideas using a minimal amount of materials.
F)Poles?..well that just adds weight but be my guest..
G)Amount of stakes..another weight problem that is best kept to a minimum for a "pitch".
H)Dirt floor covered vestibles or areas are okay for packs and gear as long as the access is easy from inside the tent.
I)Trek poles,overhead tieoffs,limbs are okay for support.
Any interesting shapes,features,etc are a plus..as long as the work/cost isn't too involved for Joe Blow to construct the idea.Drawings,paper models,whatever are helpful to people wanting to make them.Keep in mind this is a DO-IT-YOURSELF thread..let's try and keep it that way and within reason.
Calculations:material will be calculated at 2oz per square yard,mesh at 1oz per square yard,stakes at 1/2 oz,and poles at 1oz per foot..just to give people an idea of the final weight looking at the plan.This gives all ideas an equal shot.I can see significant weight drops using specialized materials,stakes, and poles but this evens the playing field for all who post.Everyone can take advantage of the weight drops equally and ideas can be calculated and standardized while on paper.It's up to the individuals to spend $$$ to get those advantages building the tent.
This is an "idea" thread,not a contest;a thread for people interested in constructing a shelter for themselves.I have several different ideas in my head,but haven't actually fully thought them out yet.Maybe someone is thinking on the same lines or shape.Here we can share ideas,improvements,little features that make the job easier,quicker,and better.
Tents have become a pricey commodity!On the other hand,a person can build one almost anywhere in the US for 25% or less of the retail cost of something similar with a little knowledge and sewing skills,even first timers.
The smaller the tent,the less materials,the more it costs!WHY?I understand the materials are pricey,but there are cheaper options with a minimal weight gain..especially in silnylon.
Enjoy!
Last edited by realityguy on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Re: Minimalist tent shelter ideas..

Postby realityguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:37 am

Just as a starter..here's a plan for the "scrap tent" idea from the other thread.This is improved from building that tent.Hopefully there is enough information for someone to copy the sheet,use their body height/weight to make it work for them.The "scrap tent" was built with "scraps".Some things have changed on this plan.The front height hasn't been calculated yet but the angles sides should be about 33-34" high at an angle..might make a 30" high tent.
The floor cut-off material is added to the sides of the center portion to increase that dimension and height.The foot width is variable.If a person can get by with an 18" wide triangle at the foot,it means the extra material can go to the center walls for more height.
The dimensions are vague for that reason.What fits me at 5-7 will not fit someone else that is 6-4.
The tent material in the plan is used as best as possibly with literally no scraps..However I do see now that I forgot to add a vent cover(look at the scrap tent pictures on the other thread) and a "zipper cover" which requires a piece about 5" wide x40"(1/2" tucked in on either edge,ironed,folded in half,ironed,then stitched up twice on the folded edges 1/8" from the edge,then 1/4" farther in..making a doubled strip 2" wide..wide enough for velcro and the zipper area.The cover is sewn on the tent the same way with 2 rows of thread,1/8" from the fold and a second row 1/4" or so from the first row,if possible.)In other words,your material needed needs another 5" of lineal length.The material for the tent is based on 46" wide stuff.If you can get 60",that's a whole lot better and makes a higher tent!
The sewin is minimal..there are no upper center seams because the top material rolls over the top and over the vestible.However.if a person feels they need more strength at the center line,double the material in the center and add a 1/2"seam there without cutting the material,using a double row of stitching.
Tie-out locations are shown.Bottom seams are just doubled over twice,1/2" per fold.The mesh around the perimeter of the floor the same.You can use 'fell seams"(google that and sew/keep a sample so you understand the material needed and the LAP DIRECTION it will end up).Take into account the extra material needed for proper laps(another reason dimensions aren't given in the plan)Any dimensions on the plan are FINAL ones and suggestions...Nothing is set in stone because of variable size people...

The plan is a rough idea drawn before I had my second mocha this morning..just to give people an idea of what it takes to make one,tie-out locations,and an idea for the materials needed.It can also be used to calculate final weight using the figures above.
The "scrap tent" I built before..suffers from the back end height being pretty tight.I will add some more strips to the lower sides there(when I get some more scraps :lol: ) and move the tie-outs down..which may cause me to have to pitch the middle slightly higher for angle..no problem because of the mesh and it'll only be used during the summer.The drawing shows the corrected back end using full 46" width material.Notice due to the angle of the top ridge,the vertical center line will change.The higher the center(wider material at that point),the more the sides will have to be cut back at the bottom edges to keep the lines right.That line isn't square to the material and the back end may have to be pitched to get a corrected center vertical angle..or amount to be cut off for square/plumb/vertical to the ground.
I'm not set on my next tent being one of these..but it is simple,works fine, and easy to build.I'm still looking at other ideas if someone has one. ;)
Last edited by realityguy on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

texron

Postby texron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm

great plans, can't wait to see how it turns out. That's pretty light. My hammock weighs in at 1lb 15oz. You could build a hammock as well :shock:
My wally world stopped carrying material, she said about 1/4th of all stores will be discontinuing their stock.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Texron..I may not be building another like that.In the 3D thread I built one similar out of "scrap" pieces(why it was called a "scrap" tent) I had left over from building the other tent..see near the end of that thread to see what the two looked like side by side.I just put the "scrap" tent away in a stuff sack,larger than the original sack I had it in before.This one carries the stakes also in a plastic toothbrush case and everything including the sack,tc,stakes and pole weighs 1lb-9oz packed.I can get myself,pack,and boots in there comfortably,along with a thermarest full pad..although the lower corners of the pad hang over mesh,short pad doesn't.
I'm looking for ideas for another tent but maybe not build the same kind if someone has a better idea.If I can't find another one I like,I'll build the one in the plan.
There are also earlier posts/pictures of that scrap tent in the other thread..with me and gear in it to give you an idea of its size.Keep in mind that the "plan" one has a taller back end.
As far as wally's..I have two,one that has the material and one that doesn't hardly carry sewing supplies.Right now I can get an uncoated white ripstop 60" wide(picked up 7 yards) and they did have the uncoated brown in a 46" width..why I got the white.I might make another light hammock out of that white to see how it holds up because it wopuld be lighter than the other hammock I made..and maybe white uncoated walls for more light in a tent that would have top and bottom in a silnylon,probably the green(have a couple more big chunks)..if I go that route with a double wall tent,I figure it would have to be something like a rainbow with a vestible, roof,floor,and rear beak of coated stuff..but what would I be gaining if I added the weight of the double walls?..I may not use it.
I liked the light properties(meaning light,not lightweight)of the white..why I picked it up.it may end up as "skylights" in other tents.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:26 pm

i think the Night Wing has great potential of being one of the lightest shelters around. i built mine out of a polyester tarp with a heavier polyester floor and it still came in at 2lbs 1.1oz . not bad, concidering the material i used.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultraligh ... htWing.pdf

a good set of plans in pdf format. the instructions are minimal, but the sewing is pretty simple. it was my first sewing project, and i pulled it off. ;)

i'll take the challenge. i've ordered 1.1oz (1.3 w/coating) silnylon to build it again. i ordered enough material so that i can build the floor out of 1.1 as well. i think it will come in under a pound and a half, but i'm just quessing.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

texron

Postby texron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:08 pm

realityguy wrote:Texron..I may not be building another like that.In the 3D thread I built one similar out of "scrap" pieces(why it was called a "scrap" tent) I had left over from building the other tent..see near the end of that thread to see what the two looked like side by side.I just put the "scrap" tent away in a stuff sack,larger than the original sack I had it in before.This one carries the stakes also in a plastic toothbrush case and everything including the sack,tc,stakes and pole weighs 1lb-9oz packed.I can get myself,pack,and boots in there comfortably,along with a thermarest full pad..although the lower corners of the pad hang over mesh,short pad doesn't.
I'm looking for ideas for another tent but maybe not build the same kind if someone has a better idea.If I can't find another one I like,I'll build the one in the plan.
There are also earlier posts/pictures of that scrap tent in the other thread..with me and gear in it to give you an idea of its size.Keep in mind that the "plan" one has a taller back end.
As far as wally's..I have two,one that has the material and one that doesn't hardly carry sewing supplies.Right now I can get an uncoated white ripstop 60" wide(picked up 7 yards) and they did have the uncoated brown in a 46" width..why I got the white.I might make another light hammock out of that white to see how it holds up because it wopuld be lighter than the other hammock I made..and maybe white uncoated walls for more light in a tent that would have top and bottom in a silnylon,probably the green(have a couple more big chunks)..if I go that route with a double wall tent,I figure it would have to be something like a rainbow with a vestible, roof,floor,and rear beak of coated stuff..but what would I be gaining if I added the weight of the double walls?..I may not use it.
I liked the light properties(meaning light,not lightweight)of the white..why I picked it up.it may end up as "skylights" in other tents.

I have a white tarp around here somewhere, old Kelty, the full moon shining through was pretty cool. i remember having trouble sleeping it was so bright :) Good luck with your build. I need to learn to do that kind of work.

texron

Postby texron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:09 pm

DarenN wrote:i think the Night Wing has great potential of being one of the lightest shelters around. i built mine out of a polyester tarp with a heavier polyester floor and it still came in at 2lbs 1.1oz . not bad, concidering the material i used.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultraligh ... htWing.pdf

a good set of plans in pdf format. the instructions are minimal, but the sewing is pretty simple. it was my first sewing project, and i pulled it off. ;)

i'll take the challenge. i've ordered 1.1oz (1.3 w/coating) silnylon to build it again. i ordered enough material so that i can build the floor out of 1.1 as well. i think it will come in under a pound and a half, but i'm just quessing.

Daren.......

that looks pretty cool, really lighweight. Wish I could sew more than a button on my pants :geek:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Daren and I both(I believe him also) were pretty naive about sewing until we took up these projects we've finished.I'd modified a couple other tents/tarps..nothing major and made my mistakes but learned in the process..that's the important part.
Daren..I do have a eureka fly(from an alpine meadow 2) that looks a lot like a nightwing that would give me a jump on the build,having only to add doors,mesh,and a floor...but I think it would put me over that point and back into tents of weights I already have and would use otherwise..That's why that project is on hold also...I also have the teepee fly in this picture,1lb-10oz that I was going to add a floor,mesh,screen door to..but too heavy already.I'll save those for future projects.

URL=http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/realityguy/?action=view&current=eurekaflyalpinemed2c.jpg]Image[/URL]

Daren..did you ever weigh the material you used for the night wing?Do you recall the yardage for that?mesh yards,etc...just wondering.. if you plugged in the weights above for "materials" how would it measure up?Of course that could be used as a two person tent..so should qualify for another pound or so..What do you think..three pound limit for a two person?..or 2-1/2lb?Remember I was trying to stay minimal using a plan and specified weights for materials.That makes it tougher! ;)
If you figure yardage,things are pretty tight and it doesn't allow much leeway for size.1-1/2 lb tent at 2oz per yard only allows you a maximum of 12 yards of material to get close.if you figure 3 yards for the roof and three yards for the floor,half the weight is used up..another 3 yards for walls brings it up to 18 oz.with 6ounces to spare for zippers,mesh,tie-outs,poles and stakes..figure 6 stakes at the weight above eats half of that...just to get things in perspective... :mrgreen:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:34 pm

it would take me hours and hours to figure out the yardage i used. you can do it from the plans, if you like. :D ;) i'm not up for it. :mrgreen:

would weighing a 12" by 12" piece of fabric and multiplying by 9 be an accurate way to figure oz/sq-yard? seems it might be too light of a basis to be accurate.
i don't want to start cutting up what little fabric i have left, just to find the weight of it.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:54 pm

a one square foot piece of the tarp weighs in at 0.3 ounce. times 9= 2.7 ounces.
floor...................................................0.4.....................3.6........

Return to “Shelter Skelter”