fabric weight

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
ConnieD

Re: fabric weight

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 19, 2010 8:11 pm

It is not, but instructions for treating nylon, making it SilNylon, are over at Hammock Forum.

I put in my order.

I am making an ultralightweight "travel" hammock. WooHoo! Maybe I will treat some of it for an ultralightweight tarp?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 pm

I passed on a complete parachute at the thrift store the other day..for $10..didn't know what I would do with it...It seemed to be really light material,not waterproof in any way.36" width..pretty skinny and puts the seams for a hammock in just the wrong spots.Yopu might get away with running the 36" down the middle and adding a couple 10-18"side pieces that wouldn't get as much stress...

This one started with a 44" wide center piece and 8-10" wide sidepieces that tapered down from there..works fine..I think material was 1.9oz per SQ yard..or lineal.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 pm

My Grand Trunk UL Travel hammock is 9'6" x 4'6"

Their Grand Trunk Nano-7 is 9' x 4' and some say it is too narrow for them.

I am thinking I would like to see out the side.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Seems in a hammock are not a good idea but in a tarp, you could get by with the seems as the stress is much lower.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 20, 2010 6:57 pm

I did make a lighter one out of only the 44" stuff and can sleep okay in the thing,did at Toleak Point with a larger tarp.
That's the one I've been messing with with the goretex cape.With the cape that doubles as a tarp(and my raingear during the summer..weighs 2lbs 2 oz..probably 2-6oz with stakes,a simple tie system,etc..but as I said,that includes necessary raingear also..or the equivalent of a jacket's and pack cover's worth along with full shelter,not counting bag and CCF foam,another 2 to 2-1/2 lbs.

This one does have internal side pockets and a thermarest or CCF full length pad pocket.With the goretex cover,I can button it down snug with a couple small lightweight nonload rated(wallyworld) carabiners over the bugmesh and it should breath fine..

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Cuz, It looks like you have takin' a real likin' to swinging in trees! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu May 20, 2010 10:15 pm

Nah..just like to sew. :roll: :lol: ..I leave the swinging in trees to apes and people from Ohio.. :mrgreen:

Okay..so when are you going to finish that cadillac of yours? ;)

:lol: :lol:

I took some time the other day and it took me quite a while to find my "beach cabana". I need to add a couple more clips to the thing at midspan and I think a front vestible zipper(s) I never got around to... :roll: or just a couple tiedowns instead to save on weight..sitting at 2lbs 11oz as is..without stake weight..no poles needed if I pack trek poles or use trees...

Hmm..wonder if I could borrow that baker as my cabana girl... :twisted:

While I was looking through tent and hammock bags, :roll: I weighed and wrote down all the weights of the items,added stakes in the bags, or whatever else they needed to be complete and ready to go by just grabbing them.Most run 2 to 3 lbs complete.
I do have another I started but might change it into another secret project...I aborted that single tarptent in the middle of the build,something didn't jive right when adding the vestible...???..I'd rather use the coated material for this other "dual purpose" project(oops!Spilling some beans.. :o ).... :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 21, 2010 11:20 am

Are you taking the Cabana with on this weekend outing?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

jounderw

Postby jounderw » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:19 pm

I also truly enjoy DIY projects and love that you are so gung ho about this one as well. Please offer some photos or advice on how it all went, what you would and wouldn't do again, and how long it took you to complete. Hopefully you go the correct weight and yardage!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:47 pm

I also truly enjoy DIY projects and love that you are so gung ho about this one as well. Please offer some photos or advice on how it all went, what you would and wouldn't do again, and how long it took you to complete. Hopefully you go the correct weight and yardage!

Jounderw..which project were you talking about?Some weights are shown,some plans are shown..Are you interested in hammocks or tents?I've been leaning towards redoing my backpacks now but the last tent was the "starflight" one..I still need to get the floor sewn in there..getting sidetracked lately.. :roll:

:lol:

Return to “Shelter Skelter”