DIY lite for your shelter

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
zelph

DIY lite for your shelter

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Light up your shelter with a DIY LED(light emitting diode) light.

I'm using a 12 led (12volt) replacement tail light/break light bul. Purchased at a mega truck stop off the tollway. Where the truckers shop.

led's operate on low voltage. Resistors are used to reduce the vehicles 12 v down to whats required for the led's. You cans see the resistors in the photos.

This is a project that is work-in-process. If you like tinkering, you may want to make one of these.

I will wire it so that only six diodes will be working when the battery is connected to the terminals. A small momentary on switch will be incorporated to make all 12 diodes light up for MEGA light requirements. The one photo shows 6 led's lit up.

Image The entire bulb is waterproof. Little resistors inside. Thing looks cool.

A few years ago I made this LED lite using a large diameter led. Snaps onto a nine volt battery.

I have mini survival kits in my autos and grab and run backpacks. The kits are contained in rectangular altoids tins. When I can get a round toit, I take a photo of one.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

TobyJennings

Re: DIY lite for your shelter

Postby TobyJennings » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 am

zelph wrote:Light up your shelter with a DIY LED(light emitting diode) light.

I'm using a 12
led light (12volt) replacement tail light/break light bul. Purchased at a mega truck stop off the tollway. Where the truckers shop.

led's operate on low voltage. Resistors are used to reduce the vehicles 12 v down to whats required for the led's. You cans see the resistors in the photos.

This is a project that is work-in-process. If you like tinkering, you may want to make one of these.

I will wire it so that only six diodes will be working when the battery is connected to the terminals. A small momentary on switch will be incorporated to make all 12 diodes light up for MEGA light requirements. The one photo shows 6 led's lit up.

Image The entire bulb is waterproof. Little resistors inside. Thing looks cool.

A few years ago I made this LED lite using a large diameter led. Snaps onto a nine volt battery.

I have mini survival kits in my autos and grab and run backpacks. The kits are contained in rectangular altoids tins. When I can get a round toit, I take a photo of one.

Hello man I hope you will reply to my post.. I am searching for similar kits and not able to find in the market.. Can you please help in finding these lights kits.. Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
Last edited by TobyJennings on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Re: DIY lite for your shelter

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:21 am

The parts are available at Radio Shack stores with the exception of the automotive style multi led bulbs which is available at automotive stores. Have fun building your own. :D Thanks for your inquiry.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Shelter Skelter”