designing tents..measurements..etc...3d mockup

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
zelph

Re: designing tents..measurements..etc...3d mockup

Postby zelph » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:27 am

In-O-Va-Tion :mrgreen: very nice, thinking all the time :D

You're ok, I like how you think :D The "Boss" likes your work also as long as you keeep her into enough egg salad. I like the way she thinks also "eggs" :mrgreen: I like eggs also!!!!! did you know that????? 8-)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:03 am

here we go with the eggs again. :lol:
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:57 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:here we go with the eggs again. :lol:

That just means Zelph REALLY likes the tent and is "soooo excited" that his thoughts go straight to EGGS ! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:57 pm

It's just one of those things that stick in my mind. RealityGuy said his cat likes eggsalad. My cats don't like scrambled eggs, RG said to put mayo on them and they'll eat them. Yuk :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:19 pm

eggsactly! :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am

Zipper covers in and the front is done..I'm redoing the curtain inside to be able to pitch the tent wider at the bottom and higher off the ground when I want more ventilation.It has mesh on the perimeter of the floor(center curtain and dirt floor vestible big enough to get inside) and 1-1/2" high nylon strapping to make the floor more of a bathtub.The top vent cover has velcro on the sides for the bottom half so I can fold the cover up and have the vent exposed in good weather.I need to add a bendable wire on the bottom of the flap to create an arch to keep it open.
The back end is going to be redone for shape..maybe a 12" cross pole,one fixed vertical pole about 15" long..trying to maintain only one tie out on the entire tent.Two Leki treking poles with a 11" cross pole supports the top..or..I added two tieouts on top to eliminate using treking poles..just needs a tree branch or cross line to support the top end.
Zelph..Here's a better picture of the zipper covers.They do a good coverup of all the stitching needed for the zippers,curtain,tie-outs,etc...lot of thread there.. :lol: (less to waterproof now! ;)
Weight now is 1lb 13oz..add about 3' of poles(3 ounces) and 7 stakes(3-1/2 ounces) and another 3 ounces for 1 more zipper,a 4' strip of velcro,some stretch cords for the floor,and about 1/3 yard of mesh...about 2lb 7 ounces with everything but the trek poles.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:46 pm

It looks well made. The zip cover lays nice and flat, no wrinkles at the edges. Your wife did a great job on the sewing. How many hours you got into it approx.?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Your wife did a great job on the sewing. :lol: :lol: :lol: ..Not unless she did it while she was in Honolulu and Los Angeles recently...
I learned one thing at least..got tired of buying spools of thread so I just lay a large serging spool behind the machine..Now if I could find a humungeous bobbin one that would fit in the machine I'd be set.
When the zipper covers are sewn on the top afterwards.they have a better tendency to lay flat like that.I sew two rows about 1/4" apart,attach the 1-1/2" long velcro pieces to the strip before sewing it on..then match it up on the vestible door side and sew that velcro in there last.
The strip covers probably at least four rows(edge,curtain,zipper twice) of sewing underneath it.I figure thread doesn't weigh much. :lol: The vents have four rows of sewing around them after the vent screen edge is folded over and sewn before adding it to a nylon frame.
Hours???I don't wanna think about that..or even know.I work on it only when I really feel like it.This month I've had other pressing matters(like paying bills)...most of the time is spent just thinking about how the heck to do it and in what order...
I still need to do some modifications in the back and for the curtain.I need to add some mesh triangles to make different pitches optional and relieve stress here and there if I change pitches.
The back end failed in that I had a flat 12" wide area on top.With the canted top pitched 12" wide,it would collect water in a puddle near the foot.I need to raise the center and change the bottom end to triangular shape,eliminate the flat top.I'll need to pull the stitching out on both sides and throw in a couple triangles tight at the top points and about 4" near the bottom and tie that into the mesh..so the sides can expand out farther on the bottom.
The front curtain will get a mesh triangle down the center sewn on the left side and zipper from the midpoint at the top to about 5" right of center at the bottom..adding 5" of width to the maximum possible pitch at the floor point of the curtain.The nylon floor is fixed at 42" wide(at the widest point at the curtain with additional 10" of mesh on both sides of that) because that was the maximum width I could get with the bathtub floor..for one piece of coated nylon without seaming.The sides cant in now at the curtain point if I add the zipper without it(see the exterior picture but will straighten out with that additional width to the curtain.I still need to sew in a couple small side triangles of curtain near the ties,add about 3" at the bottom of the curtain..and sew velcro across the bottom of the curtain(velcro is sewn to the bathtub floor edge already).
One of these days(maybe tomorrow)I'll get back to it and finish it up...

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:00 pm

realityguy wrote:I learned one thing at least..got tired of buying spools of thread so I just lay a large serging spool behind the machine..Now if I could find a humungeous bobbin one that would fit in the machine I'd be set.

i got a deal on some polyester thread on large, tapered cones.
so that they would fit on the spindle, i made a tapered wooden plug to fit the inside of the spool. it has a hole in the bottom to accept the spindle on the machine. still, the problem of bobbin capacity........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:09 pm

got a deal on some polyester thread on large, tapered cones.

Those are the serger cones I use..$2 each for 100% polyester thread...
it's easier yet to just make a stand so they stand upright on the table behind where the thread usually goes...

Yeah..same here..that tiny bobbin problem.. :lol: The serger uses 4 of those cones..no bobbin problem until you have to rethread all four lines..that takes a half hour... :o :mrgreen:

Return to “Shelter Skelter”