There's hope for us POOR PEOPLE!

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

There's hope for us POOR PEOPLE!

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:00 pm

I sent this to a couple people on here today..

Well..I played with finishing the tent today..pics attached..single wall,vents on the ends,triple door(fly/screen/inner nylon door)..not happy.Because I went with a 40z heavy floor the woeght comes out to 3lb-7 ounces with heavy stakes and fiberglass poles.I could probably shave 4-5 ounces with aluminum poles and lightweight stakes.I might still add a top vent which might add an ounce or two.
Anyway..coleman tent cost me $5 for the fly,had a broken pole.The inner door(screen and nylon door with zippers,weatherproof over the zipper) was from a cheap dome tent at another $5..poles came with the tents as did most of the nylon webbing tie outs.Zipper for the fly came out of a $3 sleeping bag(and the rest of the bag made two nice beds out back for my cats..they like sleeping out there in the summer).I had some thrift store velcro for a buck and need to add a couple more pieces over the outside fly zipper.
The floor was the biggest expense for $15 for 4 oz waterproof oxford(seattle fabrics on sale at $5 a yard,bought a little extra.)..added a lot of weight but I shouldn't need to carry a footprint...figure about $35 with thrift store thread and that for the serger and sewing machine..add $5 for busted needles..LOL!
Inside...92" long,52" wide,36" high,24" across the ends ,20" height at the ends(short pole lengths)..plenty room for two shorter people like me (5-7..wife 5-0).I figure myself and a backpack would be the taj mahal,emergency two maybe.
Screened vents at both ends with covers,full door vent.
No vestible..but I could probably stake the fly out for a little space there if needed or cooking.
Seam sealer?better buy a quart the way I sew.
Burrito logo? ... covers the damn coleman lantern..I'll make a couple up..black it out or something!Hey..whatta you want for $40...
Should be bugproof,rainproof,river proof(it pans somewhat and no seams in the floor)Snow?,should take some...

*Where's MY Capt.Morgan?I'll settle for Jose or a case of McTarnahan's! :lol:

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Re: There's hope for us POOR PEOPLE!

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Sorry..first picture is the old coleman with a taped pole..guess I should have mentioned that.. :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:15 pm

realityguy wrote:Sorry..first picture is the old coleman with a taped pole..guess I should have mentioned that.. :o

no; it's good to see where it came from. very nice job! it gives the rest of us budding seamsters some hope. ;)

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Thank Gawd the pictures aren't close enough to see the sewing on that thing.It WAS definitely a learning experience... :lol: .I think everybody that's thinking of making one should try to convert one first..THEN spend good money for materials when you have the FULL knowledge of what CAN go wrong.I figure I can use it for a pattern and do it right the first time .. next time.It's cheap education!

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:43 am

looks great! how long did the whole thing take?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:47 am

Time?..hard to tell..most of the time was spent thinking about it , what to do from where I started,and where I was going.I took a somewhat idea I liked(Akto),then modified it to suit what I had for materials, and changed some things to make it easier to make,like the triangular ends and a full floor instead of only 2/3rds and a dirt vestible because I'll probably only use it in summer and mostly good weather times..but it should cover freak storms.
The center had to be extended by a certain amount taken off the back end corners so that kind of set how large the ends could be.To save on lines and tie-outs,I opted for the triangles for a single tie out and two stakes at each end for the lower corners.To keep the top up,rather than tying to a tree,I added a 20" pole that holds up that point so I can tie to a ground stake,no high tie off needed that way.I added a closable vent for some cross ventilation at each end that closes the top half screen with velcro because it's light and simple.
I just took a fold across the middle to make a pole sleeve,then cut a slot for the zipper and sewd that in..however..I found the drop on the end of the roof means that the angle of the material has to slope down also at the lower pole points so some tent material had to be taken off at those lower points.Figure it's less than a 90 degree angle with the roof line to the end verses the pole's vertical.I had to cheat a little because the door was in and cut already on that quarter.
Another problem..I first tried doing the screen type inside wall but from floor to ceiling with a 1/3 dirt vestible..pulled down the roof of the tent and it didn't come out right.I had to pull that back out and rethink what I was going to do inside around the door,mostly for bugs because of my 50-70 degree summer intended use.
I ended up just screening the door area instead but had to set it up about 5 times,take measurements,and fittings to get that to sit right and not pull on the roof.I still need a couple rows of stitching around the door portion.
I've moved tie-offs around,straps,added velcro here and there,pole pockets,,need a few more pieces added,and made a lot of modifications as the project went on.I still need some small mods.
That's the purpose of making the first one out of junkie tents,just to get the bugs out and figure out what works and what doesn't.I've had the sewing machine and serger for probably a month,never really used either before other than one other tarp modified into a tent just before this one.I've probably worked on this over the last month is all,but in small portions of time..thinking in between.I imagine I could do the same thing again from scratch now in about two weeks of working on it a few hours a night..if I had my plans set and all materials in my hands.Using new would probably be easier and come out better..as long as I have the measurements already as I do with this tent if I was going to make another.
Doing this,I learned a lot about serging and sewing..which makes a second one easier also.An industrial machine would make things easier because there is more room under the arch of the machine.I did a lot of stuffing the tent back and forth under a normal size cheap singer so I could sew one direction,then zig-zag some ends for strength,reverse, and do a second strip of sewing.
I suggest anyone thinking about doing it..do some practicing before you sew your main tent.Get used to the machine(s) you are using or you may not like the results.Get used to making the seams the way you want or need..and the way the material acts when sewing..on something before your tent.Your final product isn't really something you want to learn on.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Realityguy!!!!! Hey........what you just told us is worth a lot of saved headaches there. Your experiences sure makes it alot easier for us to see that we need to do a lot of preplanning before diving into such a project. There is a lot of cool tips in there to make things easier. Thanks for your insight!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Couple more tips..plus another "first attempt"

This was an old GERRY tube tent that had a large zipper running down the bottom of it and small beaks at both ends.It made a tube tent(with floor,A frame(no floor),or side wall tent(no floor).Anyway it had screen curtains front and back with no covers.I hacked off the back corners not needing so much room down there,left some of the curtain but added the triangle and an opening top like the other tent at that triangle.The pieces that came off the back corners became the new front doors with a zipper from another cheap tent's fly.I don't know how waterproof it is but it will be over a dirt floor on the vestible area until I add a flap over it or behind it.the vestible is large enough for boots and a backpack but some crawling over them might have to happen if it is used for that.Most of the tie-offs were on the tent,just added a few along the edge where I needed them.
The insides are about 48-60 for width(8' long behind the vestible area and mesh curtain),depending on what is needed(one or two,with wider the doors won't come together but stake out with a foot between or one fixed,the other the door,full mesh curtain thast ties up at the ridge behind either way),and 36" high to sit in.There is a strip of mesh about 10" high sewn around the perimeter(like a tarptent) and I was thinking of using the poncho for a footprint on the edges of the mesh so I may add some velcro to each piece in spots to keep the mesh down(couple sets depending on pitch which ones reach where..maybe some strips for endless pitches).I can pitch it high enough with mesh all the way around,one side up or whatever for ventilation.I may add a top vent somewhere also near the peak with a flap cover.
There is one small pole strung through the front edge of the beak..THE TENT IS UGLY,especially in orange,but it cost me less than $12 all together and weighs 2lb 4 ounces packed with heavy stakes(lighter stakes maybe 2lbs,without the pole pitched as an A frame with tieouts or on a trekking pole in the front,1lb 12oz.).It can be staked out to trees or with one trekking pole as shown...and there is no ground cloth because I'm planning on using the poncho for that.Being UGLY,it may get me a wider campsite!(dang ghetto campers!) :lol: I can sew in a decent floor(3-4 oz stuff) and gain 8-12 ounces..
Other hints..If you haven't yet,and are buying a sewing machine..GET ONE WITH REVERSE,ZIG-ZIG and a MOVING FOOT.It'll save you a TON of work and stuffing/rotating the entire tent back and forth when finishing the ends of the rows of stitches.I didn't and wish I did.Moving a tent back and forth and keeping all the flaps and pieces out from underneath while you are sewing ias a lot of extra work.If You have reverse and zig-zag..use it to simplify your work about 50 percent!
The 4 spool serger:If you don't know..you can line up two pieces of material face to face..The serger trims the two pieces equal on the edge,sews up and down through both pieces,and throws a round overlock stich over the edges of the pieces to bond them together so they don't unravel.This doubled section can be just folded upwards and get a couple rows of stitching side by side on it(triple stitched),but it isn't as pretty inside the tent.If you do the rolling of the pieces together and the two rows of stitches,the seam will probably be stronger and perhaps more watertight,plus look more finished on the inside.
I think it's a good idea to sew all your holddown tabs on last..I was experimenting with the tents as I was sewing them and had some of the tabs sewn in to the bottom of the walls without the floor on..That was a mistake and others had to be added OUTSIDE the tent because the seams were rolled inward..and the first ones removed..or became possibly thermarest tie-offs for slopes? :P ..Oh well..other websites probably have better ideas and suggestions with more experience.My knowledge is usually figured out by doing things the wrong way and then having to fix them later..These definitely were a learning experience..Hopefully I'll do it right the first time on my next one.
The better,easier method of making a tent is to have a wife that will do it for you and treat her like royalty!That's a rare one..and not mine. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:39 pm

The walking foot is a must for multiple layers and attaching webbing for tie downs. I like reinforcements :D Wow, what a luxury, a serger, whoooohooo!!! :o

Being UGLY,it may get me a wider campsite!(dang ghetto campers!) I can sew in a decent floor(3-4 oz stuff) and gain 8-12 ounces..

:lol: :lol: :lol: some will do anything to get more "space"
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:00 am

zelph wrote:The walking foot is a must for multiple layers and attaching webbing for tie downs. I like reinforcements :D Wow, what a luxury, a serger, whoooohooo!!! :o

Being UGLY,it may get me a wider campsite!(dang ghetto campers!) I can sew in a decent floor(3-4 oz stuff) and gain 8-12 ounces..

:lol: :lol: :lol: some will do anything to get more "space"

If I add graffiti,I might get the whole campground. :twisted: ... :lol:

Return to “Shelter Skelter”