tent challenge

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
irrationalsolutions

tent challenge

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:10 am

i was talking to a friend of mine about the new tarp i wanted to make and he issued a challenge to me. for a little history...

this friend is a fair weather friend. we have been friends for years he claims to go camping a lot, however, we have never gone out together. he is always too busy to go. he is really good with diy stuff and "inventive engineering" though.

while we were talking about the tarp i want to make for my new hh he brought up that he was looking for a new tent. i told him that i was also looking into a new tent so we started talking about it and neither of us want to spend any more money than we have to. he was saying how the cheap tents they are making now arent worth buying and are good for nothing. well me being me i said he was wrong. so now the bet is on.

i have to find the cheapest peice of crap tent i can (i need help finding the tent so any idea is more than welcomed). the catch is that it has to be new. his thinking is that you can takw a good tent that has had a few bad outings and fix them. he has seen my old tent set up in the back yard while i was working on it. so i need a new crappy tent, and it has to be cheap. oh i almost forgot it has to be a two or three person tent, and it has to be a real tent.

i need to win this there is a case of capt morgan on the line.

the other rules are...
i can only replace the poles if they break ( and i cant break them on purpose) but i have to replace them with the same poles.
i can replace the rain fly but it has to be diy.
the zippers have to stay the same and so does the netting.

i think thats it.

any ideas on the tent to use?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Re: tent challenge

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:17 am

How cheap is cheap to you ?
SwissGear has a backpacking tent that can be found at some WallyWorlds in the $30 range and Coleman makes a 2 man Weather-tec half dome tent in the $40 range( I bought it after summer ckearance for $15) The Coleman tent is good as is but has no vestibule.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

hoz

Postby hoz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:06 am

Does weight come into the equation? It this a backpacking tent of a car camping tent? Most new "el cheapo" tents are made in China or Korea with no attention to weight reduction. They run 6-8 lbs or more for a 2 -3 person dome. Many have polytarp floors which, though tough, are a pain to fold up and weigh a ton compared to nylon.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:42 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:i have to find the cheapest peice of crap tent i can (i need help finding the tent so any idea is more than welcomed). the catch is that it has to be new. his thinking is that you can takw a good tent that has had a few bad outings and fix them. he has seen my old tent set up in the back yard while i was working on it. so i need a new crappy tent, and it has to be cheap. oh i almost forgot it has to be a two or three person tent, and it has to be a real tent.

i need to win this there is a case of capt morgan on the line.

any ideas on the tent to use?

Well some of these are "sorta" new.
http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bin/a ... SE&CTG=359
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:46 am

the weight doesnt really matter for the bet. however i do need to test it then he wants to set it up in his backyard and spend a night in it with his son to see if i really did it. since i am going to use it at least once i would like it to be lite. i also realize that with the cheap part i will not get a really lite tent. i see cheap as being $30 - $40 or less. he said as cheap as i can get.

p.s.
i really want the case of capt. morgan. its the only thing the wife and i can agree on drinking, other than beer.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

russb

Postby russb » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:54 am

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:15 am

I got my current tent at Academy Sports during a 1/2 price end of model year sale - less that $40 for, what looks like, a knock off of the REI Camp Dome. No vestibule, the rain fly goes all the way to the ground on 2 sides, 2 doors, aluminum poles, and clip set up. I've set it up several times, but only camped in it once so far. Weighs in at just a few ounces over 5 Lbs, but pack down to backpacking size. I'm thinking I might like the vestibules and have been looking at this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Person-BACKPACKIN ... 7C294%3A50

If you hit one of these quick it'd be a great deal...You might want to hurry before I find I can't resist it though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-3-MILITARY-E ... 7C294%3A50
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPS-MOUNTAINEERING ... 7C294%3A50
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:47 pm

If someone wins the auction on the 3 military tents......I'll buy one from them. I just can't afford the $$$$ for the whole lot plus shipping.

hoz

Postby hoz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:56 pm

When I first noticed those Eureka Marine tents on ebay I was pretty hot on getting one, until I noticed the 8 lbs carry weight.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:06 pm

How tall r u and your friend If your 5'10" or so you could get away with the $9.99 junior tent at wally world I had one and it was a great little tent except for the fact My toes touched one end and my head touched the other. I'm 6'1". That $9.99 tent is pretty light but is probably in the $15 price range now since I last used it. My buddy slept fine in it so I know theres room for two He was as tall as me but he sleeps in the fetal position so it wasn't an issue for him. I'm a rather large guy though and the little tent was referred to as my "Dog House" durring a camping trip and it looked like a Bumble Bee because it was yellow and black. I still have it somewhere but I have no idea where. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Return to “Shelter Skelter”