tent challenge

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
oops56

Re: tent challenge

Postby oops56 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:25 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:oops where are you again?

Vemont Cold this mor 1 below wind chill 17 below and a very hungry stove
Man play with fire man get burnt

GAGA

Postby GAGA » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:06 am

irra, did you check out your local Thrift and Goodwill? now is the time, after Christmas people give away more stuff... i saw 3 tents until now but i did not like them, you might find one for this challenge for 5$
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:40 pm

i have tried but they dont have anything. i do try a few times a week but we have so many non-english speaking people in this area and they stay there waiting for the new stuff to be put out. so thats not looking good. the only things i can find is military stuff that they dont know what it is. i am going to check again first thing in the morning though.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Postby hoz » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:06 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:we have so many non-english speaking people in this area and they stay there waiting for the new stuff to be put out.

Tell me about it. Our local "G.W. Strauss" had a 1/2 price sale a couple weeks ago. We stopped in on a whim to see what we could see. The people were actually lined up on both sides of the aisle leading from the back room. They would hijack the racks and carts as the helpers brought out the "new"stuff".

I did luck out and find a pair of nice wool slacks and 2 wool sweaters though. All for under 6 bucks!

GAGA

Postby GAGA » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:56 pm

LOL Irra, i have the same "problem"here, but Latinos have no idea about camping items or other sport items .i realized that by the items i found lately ;) they just want cheap clothes and shoes
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:05 am

The local goodwill uses rope to close off 2 isles at a time so they can unload the carts without being hasseled. Most everyone is aware of the fact that the carts are not to be violated :D :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

alright i've been thinking a little more on this project and i think i know what i'm going to do. i'm still looking for one more tent to see what i am going to do though. challenge has sparked a little light for me now. i'm actually going to make the tent as good as possible for me. i think if i take my time while working and do it right i should be able to end up with a 4 season tent. although i could be wrong and have to make one tent for the challenge and one for me.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:34 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:alright i've been thinking a little more on this project and i think i know what i'm going to do. i'm still looking for one more tent to see what i am going to do though. challenge has sparked a little light for me now. i'm actually going to make the tent as good as possible for me. i think if i take my time while working and do it right i should be able to end up with a 4 season tent. although i could be wrong and have to make one tent for the challenge and one for me.

I think you're right, taking your time, you'll come up with your 4 season tent. Good thinking!!.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:12 pm

Texsport Knollwood Bivy..actually a two person tent with fair headroom/width and a small 3lb pack weight!Most complaints are about crappy sewing and cheap poles that break easy.I picked one up off ebay and the sewing seems to be as lousy as they say it is..with one of the two snubbers for the tie-outs on the fly never even sewn on.I contacted texsport support who mailed one right out..that didn't match the other rubber size or clip.oh well,what do you want for $30 and one of the lightest 2 person tents out there( I"matched" them by replacing them with other ones I've found locally).
<p>Like they say,once you seal all the seams,face the zippers away from the wind,they seem to be a good deal for $30..just don't overstress the lightweight poles,a lot of people breaking those...As long as you understand it's not a $300 item,most people have learned to live with the flaws by the reports and are somewhat happy with the buy.
<p>I picked it up on ebay for $30 with shipping(seller made an error)and a 10% paypal discount(so it cost them money!).I was going to revamp the fly to cover the entire thing and use it more for the inner bugscreen top end and full night view..but have too many other tents now.It's here unused.Probably sell cheap locally on craigs to recoup my money or do what I had planned someday..
<p>Check them out on ebay..10-15 of them are up there all the time.The price seems to go up more towards summer.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 pm

Like they say,once you seal all the seams,face the zippers away from the wind,they seem to be a good deal for $30..just don't overstress the lightweight poles,a lot of people breaking those...As long as you understand it's not a $300 item,most people have learned to live with the flaws by the reports and are somewhat happy with the buy.

You made it work!!!! That's what's important, that's what makes it worth the effort. You got it to work. Bravo!!!! Go for the deals :D

Return to “Shelter Skelter”