tent challenge

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
Ridgerunner

Re: tent challenge

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:01 am

DaddyMnM wrote:Eddie Baurer is an independent brand and is named after it's founder. The company has an interesting history:

http://investors.eddiebauer.com/about/history.cfm

Your absolutely right, DaddyMnM. We have a Eddie Bauer store in Cincinnati and an EB Outlet in Jeffersonville. Most of their clothing is good quality as is most of their gear. Yes, Target does handle a selected line of EB gear. I wasn't to impressed with a large backpack they had but I own a nice mummy bag I picked up at the thrift store that is my go to base camp bag and I have a backpacking tent that is different than the model up above that was on clearance at Target a couple years ago for a song. ;) I missed that song and waited a year to find it on ebay for the right tune. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:30 am

I live within a mile of a former Eddie Baurer headquarters. I used to work for Sundstrand Data Control which shared a parking lot. We had an employee discount as part of the parking lot agreement. This was executed in Seattle where the main store opened to Sundstrand employees only for an after hours party with food, dirnks, and discounts on anything in the store. They actually made some decent outdoor gear back then. That was years ago. Sundstrand was bought out by Allied Signal which bought Honeywell but kept the Honeywell name. Eddie Bauer pulled out of the headquarters building which was torn down and replaced as part of the ever expanding Microsoft campus. Eddie Bauer has transformed itself to mostly selling the license to their name and selling outdoor fashion wear. They've even had their moniker on versions of Ford SUV's and trucks at least locally. For where I am sitting, it looks like they have barely survived and may soon be lost completely like so many other formerly good outdoor brands. I've gotten many good deals over the years from good outdoor businesses that had their final sales on their way to obscurity. Eddie Buaer (My cross country skis were purchased in an employee sale in the closeout section as they stopped selling ski gear.). Early Winters (I have a great framepack that is no longer made but I still use if I am pack mule'ing it). The Swallows Nest (more ski gear and climbing gear). All great stores and now gone, or not really in the game. With the current economy, others may join their fate. There will be good deals on the way down, but then the loss will be felt.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:21 pm

I still have my Eddie Bauer down filled sleeping bag and use it every year. I used to have a Eddie Bauer set of down filled underwear that I used for Ice fishing. He had a store in downtown Chicago at one time that I would go to to drool.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:03 pm

Talking about Eddie Bauer made me realize that I never set up my EB backpacking tent I found on ebay. So when I got home today, I retrieved it and set it up to give all a view. This tent received pretty good reviews with the clear plastic window on the rainfly as the only suspect of possible problems in cold weather. I will tell you the window was stiff but the tent is pretty nice. It is a tadpole design with a vestibule on the entry and aluminum poles. I called every Target within an hours drive when I heard they clearanced them but they all sold out quickly. Poor wording in the Title of an ebay auction :o netted this one for under $25 , including shipping. ;)
ImageImageImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:47 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Talking about Eddie Bauer made me realize that I never set up my EB backpacking tent I found on ebay. So when I got home today, I retrieved it and set it up to give all a view. This tent received pretty good reviews with the clear plastic window on the rainfly as the only suspect of possible problems in cold weather. I will tell you the window was stiff but the tent is pretty nice. It is a tadpole design with a vestibule on the entry and aluminum poles. I called every Target within an hours drive when I heard they clearanced them but they all sold out quickly. Poor wording in the Title of an ebay auction :o netted this one for under $25 , including shipping. ;)
ImageImageImageImage

Nice tent where the snow
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:46 pm

No snow! We had flurries today and maybe snow tomorrow. The last two days were in the 60's. High winds last night as the front moved in. Old man winter has been easy on my heating bill so far! :lol:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:No snow! We had flurries today and maybe snow tomorrow. The last two days were in the 60's. High winds last night as the front moved in. Old man winter has been easy on my heating bill so far! :lol:

right now 3f wind chill 17below even wood the stove is cold
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:57 am

oops56 wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:No snow! We had flurries today and maybe snow tomorrow. The last two days were in the 60's. High winds last night as the front moved in. Old man winter has been easy on my heating bill so far! :lol:

right now 3f wind chill 17below even wood the stove is cold

The best part of the midwest is that we have 4 decently proportioned seasons. Oops, it is too cold, too long in your neck of the woods. Have to chop too much wood! :P

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:59 am

oops where are you again?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Postby hoz » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:09 am

Ridgerunner wrote:ImageImageImageImage

That's a good looking tent. Excellent buy. How much does it weigh?

Return to “Shelter Skelter”