winter tarp

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
irrationalsolutions

winter tarp

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:11 pm

i said in another thread that i was planning to make a cat cut winter tarp. i went to walmart today and got all the material they had. its grey and 60in wide and 6yrds long, and was only $9. its not enough for me to make the tarp i want to. i'll have to get more before i start. i have a few questions though before i start.

1 do i want to sew on straps to tie to or do i want to use groments?
2 how do i want to go about sewing this thing?
3 the general concensus is to reinforce the tie off points, so what type of material do i want to use to do this?

any advise is welcomed. :D
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

russb

Re: winter tarp

Postby russb » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 pm

Tabs are better than grommets. Grommets will eventually "pull out".
I am not sure of your "design" so help with how to sew will be very generic. In general use a flat-felled seam for the ridge line and then a rolled hem all around. Sew a small section (triangle or square) of extra material where you put the tabs for reinforcement.

I never find any good fabric at my walmart.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Another place you may want to pose the same question is hammockforums.net it's a sister site of WB but the people there are much more friendly and helpful (in My opinion of course). They do a lot of MYOG there, don't be afraid to ask a question they are very helpful. And what hes said go witht he straps gromets will shred your tarp.The Jacks of JacksRBetter hang out over there as well and don't mind answering a few Q's. Your questions may have already been answered in there archives as well usually one of the senior members will point you in the right direction.

I feel like I'm constantly pointing you away from this website, lol :oops: :lol: . I don't mean to, it's just there are so many places I've been that have a lot of knowledge I think would help you. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:06 pm

well this stuff i found at walmart is not labeled but its grey thin lightweight very slick and i assume waterproof. when i got it home i cupped a small amount in a cup and rubberbanded it in place and poured water in it. i came back later and the water had not leaked through the material was darker where the water was but the darker spot was not larger than the water and no water came through so i assume its the stuff i need.

the tarp i am planning on is a cat cut winter tarp. 11x10. i still have not decided how many tie outs to put on each side but i know i have to do it in three sections long ways in order to get the material wide enough. and i have been told by several people that i want to do the cat cut thing between the tie outs. is there anything else you want or need to know about the tarp? thats all i can think of off the top of my head. if you think of any other info i forgot just ask. :D my mind isnt what it used to be and i'm still young. :cry:

its ok i have been talking to them a little but i'm trying to stick around here i trust this group and dont know them that well yet. :D

russb

Postby russb » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:46 pm

hf.net is a great place. btw I am DuctTape over there. I mostly lurk tho.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:45 pm

IR, you might consider getting a copy of Ed Speers book "Hammock Camping". It has everything ,and I mean everything, you need to know about hammock camping including step by step procedures on making your own hammock. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:53 pm

thanks rr i'll have to look into that.

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:45 am

Hell my tarp took me about 40 mins to make and cost me $12.00

here is a pic from a trip to Crater lake Or i just got home from today

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:49 am

i thought about that but i dont want a white tarp. it never really snows around here.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 am

You can get some ideas from this site

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

I wasn't sure what you were referring to as "Cat Cut" so I plugged it into a search engine.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Return to “Shelter Skelter”