New 1man Tube Tent

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
Ridgerunner

Re: New 1man Tube Tent

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:32 pm

I made a fishing shed out of them plastics tarp last 2 winter i use spray adhesive on the over lap then spray again then duck tape

I love to ice fish. We don't get too many days down here with good ice and clear skies with no wind to sit on a five gallon bucket and pull up those starving panfish. Oops, do you ice fish alot ? Put a picture of your icehut in the shelters forum for us to see along with a pic of a mess of fish :lol: What do you fish for?

Oops, those are not plastic tarps, they are survival sleeping bags. ;) or are you referring to a different tarp?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Oh, so I found a sealer that looks like a paper punch, try get a picture tomorrow, it a home use one so I'll have to test on some plastic of similar thickness, The bags in question are silvered Plastic bags, not crumply like space blankets, slightly thicker, and quiet, also they are a lot stronger. The sealer i found has open side so i can seal a section and slide the bag up. like a sewing machine. I am awaiting a reply from the banner company, see if they'll make custom poles for me. :D and i've been working on another stove as well, might go to the stove of the month...

will continue later today, It is 1:00 am (GMT +2) need to be at work in 5 hours...
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:03 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
I made a fishing shed out of them plastics tarp last 2 winter i use spray adhesive on the over lap then spray again then duck tape

I love to ice fish. We don't get too many days down here with good ice and clear skies with no wind to sit on a five gallon bucket and pull up those starving panfish. Oops, do you ice fish alot ? Put a picture of your icehut in the shelters forum for us to see along with a pic of a mess of fish :lol: What do you fish for?

Oops, those are not plastic tarps, they are survival sleeping bags. ;) or are you referring to a different tarp?

The tarps the ones that you cover your wood pile. I dont ice fish any more gave it all way. One time i went ice fishing when it was 30 below only got 3 holes made the ice was 3 feet deep took a half day then said the h-- with this went home.Had the truck on the ice kept it runing to keep warm.
Man play with fire man get burnt

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:59 am

I would not make it a single wall desing because you may end up with a lot of condensation

I would make a rain fly that will cover the whole tent and the top section of the tent from head to toe I would have netting so you get good venting to keep the condensation way down and be able to see the stars when you don't need the fly.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 pm

There is a shop here called Seattle Fabrics(http://www.seattlefabrics.com/) that has a pretty good selection of all things for making tents,bags,packs,sails,whatever.. from materials to clips,nylon straps,etc..but that is about as far away as possible from your location.I've found a lot of my "tentmaking material" to be from other thrift store tents I pick up.I spent the money on a used sewing machine($20) and a Pfaff Hobbylock serger instead($14)..from the thrift stores also of course.I realize yours may be a lot worse than my stores.
One of the tents I made is a large single tarp tent form an old orange GERRY convertible tarp/tube tent/A frame/sidewall affair..a tube tent that had a big zipper down through the floor.I recut it more to a cone(for two people) and added the cut-off pieces for doors on the front,added about 10" of mesh around the bottom perimeter.I still need to figure out a floor..or sleep on a poncho with some velcro spots to catch on ones on the mesh,It can go wide for two,beaks at both ends with the pole through the edge of the front beak..has cost me about $10 so far..LOL!I can through up a picture if you want to see it.
<p>I figure the cone might be more protective than a straight through tent,however your climate might require more ventilation than protection from cold,rain ,and wind.
<p>I'm building another more on the lines of the single hoop Akto now,have some pics of that also,out of a blue/gray old coleman fly for a dome..working on the inner tent and floor now.What can I say..I'M CHEAP! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Sorry about that post kinda out of sync with the sealer talk..I'm new and got lost in the page count...Oh well...
<p>I usually have pretty good access to foodsavers in the local thrift stores and always wondered about redoing a heat strip(make it longer) out of one of those so a person could make something about 3 feet long and flat out the ends for sealing continuous strips with some kind of clamp system..but figured the ends would get fried and the center not sealed more than likely with my luck...just a thought.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Shelter Skelter”