New 1man Tube Tent

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
seudo_411

Re: New 1man Tube Tent

Postby seudo_411 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:24 am

zelph wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:
I don't think there are any Walmarts in South Africa. Is there Seudo?????

Good point Zelph ! What was I thinking. did not realize to whom I was conversing with. WallyWorld might have factories somewhere there making goods and paying the hired help pennies on the hour. :o :oops: More likely in third world countries. :roll:
we look forward to seeing the new design and my guess would be the solid fiberglas poles would be more flexible....I don't know why I think that either. :lol:

He's way down under!!!! I wonder if that's more southern than where Tony lives in Dundee Land :mrgreen: The land of OZ

Well i'm about 33"54' S, 19"07' E, So I might be the 2nd most southern.

I've been at it the whole day and the closest i can get to water proof ripstop, or even silnylon is Truck tarps that are extremely heavy... :( So i'm starting to look at kite shops for some material. and waterproof it my self.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Use the CUBEN-FIBRE you talked about, then spray it with 3M waterproofer.

So Tony is the redneck southerner :mrgreen:

Suedo or Tony, next time you post also include what time of the day it is when you make the post so we can see the difference in time. Each post is registered by this site's software and appears in the upper left corner. We can then see the difference in time zones. Thank You for doing that ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:11 pm

zelph wrote:Use the CUBEN-FIBRE you talked about, then spray it with 3M waterproofer.

So Tony is the redneck southerner :mrgreen:

Suedo or Tony, next time you post also include what time of the day it is when you make the post so we can see the difference in time. Each post is registered by this site's software and appears in the upper left corner. We can then see the difference in time zones. Thank You for doing that ;)

Not sure exactly how south Tony is but its between the two of us yeah.

I got reply from a kite shop saying they be able to supply me with some nylon. the greatest concern for me is weight not so much waterproofing as it will be a 1 season tent. Oh and CUBEN fibre is $30 per square meter...

Would do you think of the MSR hubba HP. http://www.msrgear.com/tents/hubbahp.asp as a comercial alternative. its only 3lbs.

Oh and time is 22:09 23 Oct 08, and its already 7:09 Friday Morning in OZ... So in short Tony is the future.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:31 pm

[quote="seudo_411
Suedo or Tony, next time you post also include what time of the day it is when you make the post so we can see the difference in time. Each post is registered by this site's software and appears in the upper left corner. We can then see the difference in time zones. Thank You for doing that ;)[/quote]

I got reply from a kite shop saying they be able to supply me with some nylon. the greatest concern for me is weight not so much waterproofing as it will be a 1 season tent. Oh and CUBEN fibre is $30 per square meter...

Would do you think of the MSR hubba HP. http://www.msrgear.com/tents/hubbahp.asp as a comercial alternative. its only 3lbs.

Oh and time is 22:09 23 Oct 08, and its already 7:09 Friday Morning in OZ... So in short Tony is the future.[/quote]

So that's how Tony is so far ahead of us in everything. He gets the early versions of all the new stuff in DIY/MYOG and gets his ideas first. I like how he operates :D

$30.00 per sq. meter is highway robbery. :o

I'd go the route of purchasing the MSR Hubba Footprint, yeh!!! that one looks great for the price.(only 3 pounds, that's nice.)

Thanks for posting the time, it helps to know in Real time when we are talking to each other or cleaning out our garages :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:11 am

The cuben Fiber should be waterproof already. I would make sure to put some ventilation in your tent as these water proof fabrics don't breath and you could end up with a condensation problem. As far as weight cuben fiber although expensive is as light a material as you're probably going to find, it's a gram weenie's wet dream as far as gear material goes.

As for the hollow or solid poles I would go with a hollow carbon weaved arrow instead of the straight fibered kite poles your going to get more strength for less weight and you shouldn't have to worry about splintering. Also they might be readily available at a sporting goods store or such in south africa.

Good luck with your project. I wish I could get as good of a deal for getting sewing projects done! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:39 pm

zelph wrote:
seudo_411

Oh and time is 22:09 23 Oct 08, and its already 7:09 Friday Morning in OZ... So in short Tony is the future.[/quote]

So that's how Tony is so far ahead of us in everything. He gets the early versions of all the new stuff in DIY/MYOG and gets his ideas first. I like how he operates :D

$30.00 per sq. meter is highway robbery. :o

I'd go the route of purchasing the MSR Hubba Footprint, yeh!!! that one looks great for the price.(only 3 pounds, that's nice.)

Thanks for posting the time, it helps to know in Real time when we are talking to each other or cleaning out our garages :lol: [/quote]

I compared the prices of all the parts I would need to make the tent I want to, and weight that up against th MSR Hubba. and I would rather spend a bit more on the MSR tent than go through all the trouble of making a tent, but i'm still gonna make a single season fly/tarp bug thing.

[quote="Pure Mahem wrote:The cuben Fiber should be waterproof already. I would make sure to put some ventilation in your tent as these water proof fabrics don't breath and you could end up with a condensation problem. As far as weight cuben fiber although expensive is as light a material as you're probably going to find, it's a gram weenie's wet dream as far as gear material goes.

As for the hollow or solid poles I would go with a hollow carbon weaved arrow instead of the straight fibered kite poles your going to get more strength for less weight and you shouldn't have to worry about splintering. Also they might be readily available at a sporting goods store or such in south africa.

Good luck with your project. I wish I could get as good of a deal for getting sewing projects done! :mrgreen:

Please explain the carbon weaved arrow, because if its going to be lighter than the standard MSR poles i'll consider it.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:37 am

Basicly its an arrow shaft. I was once considering making a similar tent until I fell into hammock camping. Since then I have not slept on the cold hard ground. When I was contimplating my tent design I found that some arrows made for archery are weaved making them much stronger because the fibers don't all run the same way. My thoughts were to combine connectors I could obtain through a Kite building site with the arrow shafts and some shock cord to construct the poles I would need. However you would have to weigh all the options such as cost vs. benefits gained. It may just be easier for you to use the msr poles instead of giving yourself a design headache. I'm not sure if the arrow shafts would be lighter or heavier but they may be so strong you might not get the bend you need. I was just trying to through some ideas out for your consideration.

Either way good luck with your tent! I'ld love to see some pictures when you get it finished :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:51 am

Pure Mahem wrote:Basicly its an arrow shaft. I was once considering making a similar tent until I fell into hammock camping. Since then I have not slept on the cold hard ground. When I was contimplating my tent design I found that some arrows made for archery are weaved making them much stronger because the fibers don't all run the same way. My thoughts were to combine connectors I could obtain through a Kite building site with the arrow shafts and some shock cord to construct the poles I would need. However you would have to weigh all the options such as cost vs. benefits gained. It may just be easier for you to use the msr poles instead of giving yourself a design headache. I'm not sure if the arrow shafts would be lighter or heavier but they may be so strong you might not get the bend you need. I was just trying to through some ideas out for your consideration.

Either way good luck with your tent! I'ld love to see some pictures when you get it finished :mrgreen:

Oh right so it is simply a carbon fiber pole that was spun, to minimize flexing, hence a straighter arrow. :geek:

I was having a look at some other options, and I came across the worlds lightest commercially available tent, (MYOG's excluded :roll: )
Its called the "Laser Photon" http://www.moontrail.com/terra-nova-laser-photon.php. Max weight 790g :o but $360 it is quite a pricey option considering that the US dollar to South African Rand is $1.00 = R11.36. Still pretty cool, but more importantly what i noticed is that they dropped the most weight with the new design by revamping the poles.

I'll be back with the drawing board tonight.

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:06 pm

You're probably already aware of this but just in case, Roger Caffin has a lot of good info on his site about tent construction.
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/DIY_RNCTents.htm
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:30 pm

dlarson wrote:You're probably already aware of this but just in case, Roger Caffin has a lot of good info on his site about tent construction.
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/DIY_RNCTents.htm

Thanks for that, I always thought of R Caffin being just a stove guy, but i see there is a lot of info, I need to sit down and read through it,

Return to “Shelter Skelter”