New 1man Tube Tent

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
seudo_411

New 1man Tube Tent

Postby seudo_411 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:32 pm

So I've been thinking about making a tent, I now know what its gonna look like, But I still need to find suitable material, Thought about using- rip stop nylon for the inside, covered with, a lighter weight water proof nylon.

I also found a kite shop selling 5mm carbon fiber tubes that are cut to any length (Max 3m)... they also carry shock cord that i was going to use for tying it down.

The design below is a simple two (maybe 3) hoop tent, Need input on the design, and material for it. I'm also considering using a tarp or polyvinyl ground sheet. that is in a sort of basin form.

Below is the tent plan, as well as the measurements. I basically lay on my bed and put my bags at the foot and used that.

Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

zelph

Re: New 1man Tube Tent

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Use waterproof Silnylon and eliminate the extra piece of nylon.

Use 2 pieces for arch supports(3 arches)

What kind of ends do they supply to strengthen the carbon tubes?

Nice project!!!!!Hope you can work out all the details.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Keep your eye opens at WallyWorld fabric section as sometimes you can find silnylon and other waterproof fabrics on the $1-$3 clearence rack. ;) Good luck with your project. :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:49 pm

you are much braver than i am. i will work with wood or metal all day. i know i can't make anything like that. :( its a good idea best of luck to you with the sewing.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Keep your eye opens at WallyWorld fabric section as sometimes you can find silnylon and other waterproof fabrics on the $1-$3 clearence rack. ;) Good luck with your project. :mrgreen:

I don't think there are any Walmarts in South Africa. Is there Seudo?????

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:05 am

I found a company in Cape Town, its about an hours drive, who makes racing sails. from CUBEN-FIBRE. And another that makes 330-600g per m2 Ripstop.

We have a builders warehouse, but i doubt they'll stock it. Oh and guys I'll play around with sub flash point alcohol, i'll work bare hands with razor sharp metal pieces, but alas I can't even tie a TIE, proper. :oops:

I do however have an aunt who is a supervisor at a underwear factory. and she said that the "girls" will do it if i buy them tea and cookies... :lol:

Which type of pole is more flexible, solid or hollow ,Carbon fiber or Fiberglass. I revamped the design last night will update the image a bit later.

Just a thought but i was thinking of using those narrow road bike inner tubes as beams, then i just carry a small pump, or co2 inflater. (3sec tent)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:02 am

My educated guess is that solid rod would be more flexible and I don't know why :lol:

Bike tubes would be too heavy :)

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 pm

zelph wrote:My educated guess is that solid rod would be more flexible and I don't know why :lol:

Bike tubes would be too heavy :)

i figured they'll be heavy, oh well just a thought, I would think of going with a mix of hollows and solid poles. As you'll see later I've changed the entrance to not only allow for an easier entrance, but also to give me a shielded area in which to cook.

I have to finnish up the pic, wanted to work on it this morning but had to go to school with my mom. :roll: , My God i had forgotten how bad hormonal teenage girls can be, ;) ...

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:28 pm

Good point Zelph ! What was I thinking. did not realize to whom I was conversing with. WallyWorld might have factories somewhere there making goods and paying the hired help pennies on the hour. :o :oops: More likely in third world countries. :roll:
we look forward to seeing the new design and my guess would be the solid fiberglas poles would be more flexible....I don't know why I think that either. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

Good point Zelph ! What was I thinking. did not realize to whom I was conversing with. WallyWorld might have factories somewhere there making goods and paying the hired help pennies on the hour. :o :oops: More likely in third world countries. :roll:
we look forward to seeing the new design and my guess would be the solid fiberglas poles would be more flexible....I don't know why I think that either. :lol:

He's way down under!!!! I wonder if that's more southern than where Tony lives in Dundee Land :mrgreen: The land of OZ

Return to “Shelter Skelter”