Mountain Hardwear

Post it here if it's "Made In America"
left52side

Mountain Hardwear

Postby left52side » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Ok so im not downing on mountain hardwear by any means and own several pieces of there products,but it has cameto my attention recently that they are owned by columbia sportswear corporation and there gear is manufactured overseas ???
It kind of raised an eyebrow of sorts from my end of the spectrum.
Has anyone else had experience with this in other manufacturers .
I sent A lengthy email to mountain hardwear just today and am awaiting A reply from them in the right direction.
I happened upon this information by being redirected from mountain hardwear email to columbia sportswear email concerning some product availability for my upcoming clean up trips.
It is discerning to me if they are affiliated with columbia sportswear.
Not that I mind columbia either but am aware it is not made in america.

Ridgerunner

Re: Mountain Hardwear

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Just like most backpack companies who have sourced their products overseas due to cheap labor.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:41 pm

I don't think I have anything from them. My wife has purchased "china" .....get what you pay for :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Columbia grew their reputation from declaring their items were "Made with pride right here in the Northwest"..In Oregon..then dumped that when it became obvious to them that they could make more $$ by outsourcing their products overseas and just redistributing them here..like just about every other US company.Very little today is made by Americans using American original products.
I think you just need to go with the flow and just double check the quality of the gear you NEED to buy from them..stitching,zippers,material..just don't chew on the lead paint on the zippers ;) ...It's hard to get 100% American products because all the materials supplied to American products are usually bought overseas anyway.
I build ukuleles..I can buy parts here at 10x the price I pay from China...or buy direct and get the same savings other AMERICAN BUILDERS/DEALERS, with FREE SHIPPING,and no customs charges..For instance..I can buy two guitar strap buttons to put on guitars in a shop here for $5..or... I just bought 48 of them(with screws and rubber washers) for $12 with free shipping.I buy the same tuners as a local US company buys for $6..that G----- sells here for $20+...
Until that cheap overseas supply outlet gets some kind of taxed equality on their imports,don't expect any company's products to be "100% American made".
On the other hand,Chinese ukuleles(probably put together by children) can be bought on ebay for 20-30% of what it costs an American builder to make one and still make a living..so American builders have to deal with that unfair competition.
I really don't see that changing any time soon..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

left52side

Postby left52side » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:08 am

Realityguy this is very well put,and honestly I have been saying the exact same thing for quite awhile.
I often have wondered where the material (cuben,sil,nylon etc...) and most of it is made and sourced,you guessed it overseas.
And although I still do by everything that I can from cottage companies and local I realize that there is no way of getting away from it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:57 am

I sent A lengthy email to mountain hardwear just today and am awaiting A reply from them in the right direction.
I happened upon this information by being redirected from mountain hardwear email to columbia sportswear email concerning some product availability for my upcoming clean up trips.

Have they responded to your email?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Made In America Gear”