Cuben material and backpacking

Post it here if it's "Made In America"
ConnieD

Cuben material and backpacking

Postby ConnieD » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm

I have been watching Z-packs. http://zpacks.com/materials.shtml

I think he has the most experience actually using cuben for packs and shelters and other gear because he gets outside for his product testing. He also sells the materials, which is helpful for DIY/MYOG.

There is also Hyperlite Mountain Gear. http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products.html

He has "a proprietary ripstop Cuben Fiber/nylon hybrid that makes our backpacks much more abrasion resistant" that is more than interesting. Read a discussion about it: http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/11/ ... packs.html

zelph

Re: Cuben material and backpacking

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:31 pm

The first link starts off with interesting info. Thanks connie for the insight into the use of cuben materials.

Materials used in ZPacks Gear

Most ZPacks gear is made from CTF³ Cuben Fiber Fabric. Cuben Fiber is constructed of a grid of white Dyneema® (or spectra) threads laminated to a thin transparent polyester membrane. The Dyneema® fiber is up to 15 times stronger than steel and up to 40% stronger than aramid fibers on a weight for weight basis. Dyneema® floats on water and is extremely durable and resistant to moisture, UV light and chemicals.

Cuben Fiber has an extremely high tensile strength, and very low stretch making it ideal for our tents, tarps, and backpacks. It is unfortunately very expensive compared to other materials.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:55 pm

It looks like Zpacks has the improved cuben material.

First, cuben was developed for racing sails for sailboats.

However, UL backpackers have created a new demand. It looks like that demand has "paid off".

Now, we have an improved material for our use.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 am

Has anyone here made, or purchased, a cuben tarp?

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Here is an informative video about sealing and taping seams on cuben.
http://sticksblog.com/2012/02/13/taping ... #more-3511

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:15 pm

It's too expensive and looks awkward to assemble with tape and glue. I'd like to find it used in some other industry. Maybe the price would be lower than the sailing community.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Here's an interesting concept for building a pack..You can buy one of these in yellow right now..or two in different sizes for $27 each(plus their $ differences for each size)..then build a system of only straps for compression,outside pockets,and a packframe(shoulder straps,hipbelt) and come up with something uberlight...

http://www.backcountrygear.com/granite- ... ack-1.html

Using these drysaks as a base unit... :roll: You should be able to make up a decent system that weighs maximum 8-12 ozs..say buy a 10 and an 18liter bags...Use the 10 on day hikes(with compression straps) and the 18L as the overnighter.You'd need to make it in such a way that allows the bag to be removable.Once you get to "camp" with the 18L,remove it..and you can unload some of it into the unrolled 10L for a summit or day pack..using the same strap "system".. :roll: ..(compress the two sides).
Something to contemplate..Sorry..that's the way my mind works! :lol: For $70 or so you can have a mult-system that has more uses than their $225 backpacks you'd need two of.. ;)
If you don't like the "clear"factor,spray paint it with camo...Or like me..roll a blue foam pad(or silver windshield one) inside and pack everything inside that... :roll:

Plus..the bags could be more stabilized with stick-on velcro to the cuben(CTF3) and sewn to the strapping...

ANYHOW..the whole theory would be that you wouldn't have to touch/tape the Cuben bag(other than maybe silicone on some velcro "attach" strips)..just construct/sew something around it..save some work and have a waterproof main pack..
Still thinking... maybe a couple 2" wide straps under and up the back side for shoulder straps..a system of three( well..two-3/4" one and the wider waist one) horizontal compression ones with webbing side pockets linking the bottom two and the back 2 gear straps having a web pocket on the bottom portion also to keep the cuben bag in place..with gear loops with a second strap over the first on the back vertical ones.The front shoulder straps could have a secondary 3/4 one also for gear loops.if you need a length adjustable area for the shoulder straps..go to 3/4" at the bottom portion of the shoulder straps with adjustable links.The bottom horizontal strap would be the waist one with the buckle and 3/4 compression across the back... :roll: ..are you lost yet? :o :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Gossamer Gear has the Removable Hip Belt I have been looking at, sold separately.
http://gossamergear.com/packs/pack-acce ... -belt.html

I have a Metolius Rope Ranger. I like those shoulder straps.

Metolius "contact" once told me they would sell the shoulder straps separately on special order.

Altogether, with the Granite Gear Uberlight CTF3 Dry Sack, or, one of their eVent Sil Ultra-Duty PackLiners would make a UL backpack.

I have also considered a Sea-To-Summit "Laundry Bag" for a waistbelt pack, I have, that is built to accept a waterproof roll-closure bag for canoe or kayak. I am thinking it would be rugged, and, not look like I have expensive gear (stealth).

I like to hike in national parks because theft is not really huge there.

However, there are places I feel I need to be more "average".

This is one of the things about cuben that throws me "off" - people know it is truly expensive.

The other thing is you can practically see thru it - to see all the cool gear you have.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:07 pm

This is one of the things about cuben that throws me "off" - people know it is truly expensive.

Most people don't recognize CTF3 as cuben ..only the ones interested in it...and they can usually afford it. :roll:

I was also thinking of maybe making a setup of using two 10Lbags side by side,but I would think a bear canister might only fit in the larger one;maybe not... :roll: The main thing ..no matter what you add..is to keep the overall pack weight under 1lb..
I was going to go ahead and order the two larger bags,when I thought they were $27 each..but then I noticed the additional dollars on those "sizes"..I'll wait for a closeout..

I don't see a price on the hipbelt..but around here I can get plenty of those for cheap ..from a thrift store backpack or hip type pack..or cut one off several I have.I have some fanny/torso packs i was going to convert but their weight already puts it over the top "1lb"..so I bagged that idea.My 15oz fanny/daypack now uses a simple waist belt that has never been uncomfortable..mainly because of the extreme drop in weight I carry on dayhikes at about 10lbs or less.More weight would probably change that.. a reason for a new system.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 pm

The other thing is you can practically see thru it - to see all the cool gear you have.

Just make sure the dirty laundry's out of sight 8-)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Made In America Gear”