Diesel powered hand warmer

Post it here if it's "Made In America"
Bfinnigan

Re: Diesel powered hand warmer

Postby Bfinnigan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:11 pm

I increased the heat sink/storage capsule so now the flame does not get hot enough to burn clean. At least with diesel so I may test kerosene and alcohol. So yes there is a soot build up but not enough to cause any problems. However the flame is very well isolated so it wouldn't ignite anything out side the cylinder. The wall cylinder is 1/8" thick at the bottom so it soaks up too much heat and the flame is not very big. The above pic is twice the actual size. Dig cams pick up infrared and convert it to light.

I do need to add a porthole to be able to consistently re-lite it inside the cylinder.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:14 pm

I have found that my wicks needed to be as short as possible to burn kerosene cleanly. My Ring Of Fire stove worked really well with a heineken pot, no soot at all. The only problem was........hard to light, because of the short wick....bummer!!!! If you keep your wick even with top of it's holder it should burn clean unless you get too much turbulence going over the flame. That might be the cause of your soot. You increased the amount of holes and also the amount of air rushing in to go up the chimney. Ancient oil lamps burned olive oil and rendered animal fat. Wicks had to be short for reduction of soot. Huts/tents were well ventilated, maybe they didn't mind the soot. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:12 am

zelph wrote:I have found that my wicks needed to be as short as possible to burn kerosene cleanly. My Ring Of Fire stove worked really well with a heineken pot, no soot at all. The only problem was........hard to light, because of the short wick....bummer!!!! If you keep your wick even with top of it's holder it should burn clean unless you get too much turbulence going over the flame. That might be the cause of your soot. You increased the amount of holes and also the amount of air rushing in to go up the chimney. Ancient oil lamps burned olive oil and rendered animal fat. Wicks had to be short for reduction of soot. Huts/tents were well ventilated, maybe they didn't mind the soot. ;)

that right zelph olive oil lamps that i have maybe 12 or so wick needs to short . On some old lamps there is tooth pick like on chain to push wick in or out to adjust flame as it burning
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 am

oops56 wrote:that right zelph olive oil lamps that i have maybe 12 or so wick needs to short . On some old lamps there is tooth pick like on chain to push wick in or out to adjust flame as it burning

Thanks oops for confirming the small wick for oil. I made a stove, I think it was the "vegetarian" stove that burned olive oil, worked good, I'll see if I can find it in the factory warehouse. You've made a few yourself, one was a combo alcohol and oil combined. The alcohol part burned first and then the oil one in the center kicked in for the simmer mode. That one was my favorite. :D

So you got about 12 or so olive oil lamps.............hmmmmm, good to have during a power outage up there in your neck of the woods :D

Found it!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&p=8&hilit=vegetarian+stove#p8

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 am

Are you sure that's not a hiking Menorah? :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 pm

I took the copper heat sink plug out and shortened it up to 1/4" before putting it back. Back before I bored out the core for the bismuth/cadmium I remembered it didn't smoke. The copper plug was too big and too close to the flame and it pulled too much heat away to get a hot flame efficient flame. So now it works great but I want to try a couple more mods on it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Bfinnigan wrote:I took the copper heat sink plug out and shortened it up to 1/4" before putting it back. Back before I bored out the core for the bismuth/cadmium I remembered it didn't smoke. The copper plug was too big and too close to the flame and it pulled too much heat away to get a hot flame efficient flame. So now it works great but I want to try a couple more mods on it.

I would think the hotter it gets the fuel, the better for no smoke. Hot with short wick even with rim of wick holder.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:40 am

I've played with different size diameter wicks. The larger you go, the dirtier it gets. In the case of the vegey stove, I had to use many small wicks to accomplish the amount of heat necessary to get the boil in a decent time.

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:48 pm

I need to draw up a blue print of it. There are two more mods I will make tonight before I head up to the mountains tomorrow.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Bfinnigan wrote:I need to draw up a blue print of it. There are two more mods I will make tonight before I head up to the mountains tomorrow.

Stay warm, take a couple of large Jon-e hand warmers with. Couple for your daughter also. :D

Nice project you got going here. I have to try some diesel fuel. Isn't it just refined kerosene with a few additives for engine wear?

Return to “Made In America Gear”