sudden

Re: Diesel powered hand warmer

Postby sudden » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Find someone with an oil burning furnace. It's diesel without the dye
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:32 pm

I heard truckers use plain old keroesene on the sneak but if caught by the State troopers they hang em. They use a dipper to get a sample. if it ain't dyed, they are in deep doodoo.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:54 pm

People that use backhoes and that can get diesel for their "offroad use" equipment..and use it in there "on the road" vehicles also..without paying the road taxes that add up to probably more than 50 percent of the "diesel fuel" costs..The only problem is it isn't refined as much and can have water in it and fouls up your vehicle..My cousin(west coaster) "supposedly" had a problem with that.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:36 pm

realityguy wrote:People that use backhoes and that can get diesel for their "offroad use" equipment..and use it in there "on the road" vehicles also..without paying the road taxes that add up to probably more than 50 percent of the "diesel fuel" costs..The only problem is it isn't refined as much and can have water in it and fouls up your vehicle..My cousin(west coaster) "supposedly" had a problem with that.. :roll:

That's where good old HEET in the Red and Yellow bottles come in handy. A bucks worth in each tank full ain't all that expensive compared to full price for diesel. Send a note to your west coast cuz!!!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:31 pm

He went back to a gas powered vehicle...after taking it in for repairs a couple times..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:48 pm

To further slow down the heat up time and store more heat I swaged two copper plugs down two of the chimneys. There is still enough room for good exhaust flow and now there is more mass to absorb some of the heat.

I also added a rotating collar to be able to light the burner while inside the tube.

Open.

Closed.

This also will work as a choke for the air intake w/o risking snuffing the flame out.

I took it up in the mountains yesterday and it worked great but had to be re-lit a couple times in the 20+ mph winds.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am

Nice that it all worked out so well. Nothing like proving it's self out in the field. Nice project, great job on the machining. Give that one to your daughter and make another for yourself. You needed something to keep you busy during the winter months :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing your project with us, very interesting one.

Your close-up photos are excellent!!!

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks! I get so much inspiration from a few different forums that I want to give some back and keep the cycle going. You don't need much machining equip to make a simplified version of it. In fact you can make one with just a drill press and hack saw. Buy some tubing that can hold four smaller tubes wedged inside. Ram some copper ground wire down the void in between the four smaller tubes. Leave 1 1/2" on one end without tubes. Find a chunk of round bar that will wedge up into the tube. Drill out a reservoir for the wick. Measure how far up the wick is and drill out some 1/8" air holes.

It worked great to warm up my daughters hands on the last trip out in the snow. After 30 seconds I had her blow out the flame and then put it in her pocket.

I should have got an action shot of it being used. Oh well .....Next time.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Use it often and you'll get a chance to show it in use. I made a nose warmer by using the business end of a hand warmer on a zippo lighter. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:21 pm

I gotta see that!

Return to “Made In America Gear”