Cutom built treking poles.

Post it here if it's "Made In America"
Bfinnigan

Cutom built treking poles.

Postby Bfinnigan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Three yeas ago I decided to start using treking poles and began shopping around. Even the expensive ones in the $250 range had too much plastic and very little wrist spring action. So I built my own out of 2011 aircraft aluminum. The upper section is coated with ceramic powder coating compliments of a friend who just got set up to do it.

The handles were machined from a solid 2" bar of 2011 T3 aluminum and have compression spring shock absorbers to protect your wrists. The springs allow for 1 1/2" of play/shock absorption. They also have a compass and thermometer embedded in them. The teflon impregnated nylon sleeves make the shock absorbers smoother and quieter.

All of the commercial poles have plastic baskets and handles. I wanted the set to be all aluminum to last for a while. The tips are hardened 4340 alloy steel and are threaded on so they can be replaced or changed to a different tip for varying surfaces.

Machined and heat treated carbon steel clamps and tension knobs. They allow the length to be adjusted. I originally used the big plastic knobs from the hardware store but they broke as soon I tried to tighten them down. So once again to get quality and performance I had to make them myself.

After looking at many pairs of commercial poles I was not impressed with the materials used. Even the high end Austrian made poles used a lot of plastic. So I decided to make a pair the way I wanted with materials that are more durable.

After many, many miles they still work and nothing has broke. The shock absorber handles have worked out great. Sometimes you can get high quality by paying big bucks and some times you just have to build it yourself.
Last edited by Bfinnigan on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Re: Cutom built treking poles.

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Very nice, very tactical looking :D Do the grips flex at all with the teflon impregnated nylon sleeves to ease up on wrist fatigue?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks. Yes, I have compression springs in both and they flex up and down by 1 1/2". Much more then any commercial ones I have looked at.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:48 pm

I used a set of spring-flexing ski poles for awhile until the handle fell off..I imagine yours are made better.. :lol:
I'm sticking with my lekis because of the shape of the modified handles allow me better usage in tent support...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:58 pm

Very rugged looking. You do great work! Do the handles get cold in cooler weather and do you have any problems with wear to the hands with metal handgrips as opposed to cork or other absorbing grips? I like the compass and thermometer idea...dual purpose. I have a L.L. Bean pole(made by Leki) that the knob on the end of the handle screws off to allow you to screw your camera on. People couldn't firgure out how I took pics of myself when hiking alone. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:47 pm

They do look nice..The handles I would think would get cold..have you had them out in the snow?What's the weight of each one?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:51 am

I have had them out in the snow several times but I am wearing gloves so I don't feel any coldness from them. ;) Even in the summer I use bicycle gloves that have gel pads which also act as shock absorbers. Yes, plastic would be lighter but I don't like plastic anything unless that is the only material that can be used. The aluminum is very smooth and the times I have used them w/o gloves I didn't have any wear or blisters. I have never weighed them but I am sure they weigh more then the typical treking pole. But the tubing is much higher quality and has thicker side walls so there is much more strength. They will be around and functional long after I'm dead.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 pm

How did you blacken the tension knobs? They look precision just like the entire set. If you massage like you machine, you must have patients waiting at your door when you arrive at work :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Made In America Gear”