Light weight hatchet I built

Post it here if it's "Made In America"
Bfinnigan

Light weight hatchet I built

Postby Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:12 pm

This was made in my shop so it's very much "Made in USA".

I needed a smaller lighter hatchet for BPing and kayaking. I try to build as much of my own tooling as I can. This one is forged and machined from 5160 steel with a teak handle. The pins are 3/16 brass. I wanted a head I could pound on for difficult woods or just use as a hammer. So I machined it from some John Deere control shaft which is also 5160.

We all beat on our axes and hatchets anyway so I just designed this one to handle it. The head is also beveled to pop the wood apart if the hatchet goes that deep.

I measured out the handle to fit my hand and is very comfortable to hang onto. Being 5160 carbon steel the edge is blazing sharp and will stay that way for a long time.

It's 10" long and the steel is 5/16" thick.

I stitched the sheath with 10oz leather and it has a 2" belt loop on the back.

I use an induction forge which gives me very pinpoint heating. This allowed me to harden the edge and hammer face but leave the center at a normalized spring temper. So the steel haft and center of the head have some tight spring flex.

Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

Ridgerunner

Re: Light weight hatchet I built

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Nicely done and the leatherwork looks good also. I imagine it might be a wee bit weighty for the UL hiker but perfect for the kayaker. ;) That is a sweet hatchet and dual purpose with the hammer head! We like dual purpose gear! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks. It's 22 oz which is less then most commercial hatchets weigh. It's also shorter with a thinner profile. Most back packing I do is inside the National Park so I would not bring it along there. But it's mostly for kayak/canoe camping where there is a bit more room for gear.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:49 pm

Super nice crafting there. Nice to have all the right tools to make what you need or just want to play :o

How did you attach the hammer head? How did you shape the curves?

How long you be forging?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Nice idea. I like the dual purpose design.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:05 pm

nice piece!
i am humbled!!
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:00 pm

zelph wrote:Super nice crafting there. Nice to have all the right tools to make what you need or just want to play :o

How did you attach the hammer head? How did you shape the curves?

How long you be forging?

Thanks. I used a metal band saw on some of it and two different sized hole saws for the radiuses that were too tight for the saw. Then it was a lot of belt grinding and hand filing. The steel was leaf spring steel that I heated up to orange to forge out the arc and soften the heat treat they have. even then it's tough stuff to work compared to mild steel you see at hardware stores.

I have been forging off and on for 15 years but got into it hardcore about six years ago.

The hammer head was machined separately then swaged on and internally pinned and then welded. The diagram may make more sense.

I used a hard facing welding stick since it can be hardened by heat treating. Then I ground the weld blob flush and heat treated the hammer head. I didn't want any external welds to clean up so I used a gynecological approach. :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:05 am

thank you for the explanation and all the work that you had to complete your project. Very well done!!!

I came across this today:

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:50 pm

He is a member on the Primal Fires forum and makes some great knives. I saw it this AM after he posted it. Very simple and very cool. And he did not have to sell one of his kids to afford it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:20 pm

I got an email notification from Survival.com/hoodlums forum that he posted the video. I'm a survivor :mrgreen: and a hoodlum :lol:

Return to “Made In America Gear”