Rivendell Mountain Works

Post it here if it's "Made In America"
heckdog

Rivendell Mountain Works

Postby heckdog » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:38 pm

http://rivendellmountainworks.com/

Talks about a cottage industry with a ton of history. Anyone have an original Jensen pack laying around they would like to unload :mrgreen: ? Any experiences with these or similar "retro" lightweight packs?

zelph

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:52 pm

I have no experience with them but it was sure interesting to read about the company. I'll keep an eye open for one of their products as I gaze through the net and thrift stores. Thanks for bringing this cottage industry to our attention. Rivendell Mountain works, it's good for me to type it out :D stick in my brain alittle better, I need all the help I can get :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

heckdog

Postby heckdog » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Yea I am currently using a medium Gregory G-Pack. The Grand Canyon is my main stomping ground. The terrain, animals and plant life is all unforgiving on pack material. I just hate having to baby my pack material. Rivendell packs are bench tested bomber and the medium is 405 c.i. bigger and 9oz lighter than the G-pack. Anyone looking for a very babied G-Pack in excellent shape????? :shock: :shock:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:56 pm

and the medium is 405 c.i. bigger and 9oz lighter than the G-pack

That's a major difference, nice. Christmas is not far away :)

How is the Condor population doing in the canyon? I was there the first year they introduced them. Majestic bird they are.

justmeagain

Postby justmeagain » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi all, first post here. I stumbled on this site googling Rivendell Mountain Works. I have a couple of orginal Rindell Jensens as well as a modern Giant Jensen by Eric Hardee (current owner). Properly sized, the Jensen is a whale of a nice pack. Eric's modern packs are every bit as good as the originals, quality is top notch. Loading the pack seems odd at first, but you get the hang of it quickly.

In the day, the Jensen pack was widely copied by many competitors, I have copies by six other firms and know of two other brands that copied the design as well. In the early 1970's Backpacker reviewed the Jensen pack along with other similar sized packs and stated, "This pack is a classic, the most comfortable one we tested."

I collect vintage gear and also have a Rivendell Bombshelter tent.
Me on the superior hiking trail with my giant jensen.

More information on Rivendell.
http://www.oregonphotos.com/Rivendell-1.html

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:46 pm

:D
Welcome to bplite and thanks for the additional information. The pack looks like it fits you well and you carry it well.

In the early 1970's Backpacker reviewed the Jensen pack along with other similar sized packs and stated, "This pack is a classic, the most comfortable one we tested."

Quite an endorsement. The additional information on your site is really helpful in seeing how well the packs are made. Thank You for your input and glad you stumble upon us. Hope you'll be able to stay for awhile and share some your experiences. Your photo shows fall collors, I hope that's not what it looks like up north as of today. 2 days ago the weather report was indicating freeze warnings for upper minnesota, your stomping grounds.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:54 pm

Your photo shows fall collors, I hope that's not what it looks like up north as of today. 2 days ago the weather report was indicating freeze warnings for upper minnesota, your stomping grounds.
Looks like it could be a large body of water with the glare of the sun on the left side. :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

justmeagain

Postby justmeagain » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:56 pm

The photo is several years old, taken in late September/early October. I was on the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota. The big body of water is Lake Superior.

I'll be using the pack again in a month in northern Michigan and can post photos if anyone is intersted in the trip.

The Oregon photos website is run by a fellow named Bruce Johnson. I've been helping Bruce for several years track down bits of information on old gear companies. Bruce has written two books, one of the history of Frostline Kits and the second on the history of Gerry. He has a third book on the history of Holubar in the works. The books are a fun trip down memory lane. It's been just wierd internet searches and the like that have linked up many people with connections to the outdoor industry from the 60's and 70's. The fact that the original Rivendell patterns still exist is amazing, especially as the pattern pieces have been sitting in someone's basement for 25 years.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:18 pm

I'll be using the pack again in a month in northern Michigan and can post photos if anyone is intersted in the trip.

We'd love to see the photos. I hope to get up there myself befor snow flies. Upper Peninsula, Keeweenaw copper mining district is where I'll be heading.

It was interesting to read aboutthe history of GERRY

justmeagain

Postby justmeagain » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:31 am

I'll be headed to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I've not been to the Copper Harbor area but hope to get there someday. The UP has some great areas, I've been to the Porkies several times as well. I'll post the pictures.

Return to “Made In America Gear”