Alcohol don't burn in cold weather.

zelph

Re: Alcohol don't burn in cold weather.

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:04 pm

russb wrote:I'd like to test out a starlyte sometime, but I think my next project is still the fancyfeast stove. I haven't gotten the mesh yet. Too busy camping and not enough time building. I'd rather be in the bush than the workshop though. My next trip is Jan 5th and the low temps average around 2F in the adirondacks at that time, I will bring the ion and see how it works. Of course I will not be relying on it, I will be carrying it only for test purposes.

Russ

Make a "Fancy Feast" I think that one is going to be a winner. That thing is rock solid, light weight and easy to make. You like wood burning, try making the Globe Stove, it works great. I got a couple of used starlytes layin around, gimme your address and I'll send one out for you to test at 2 degrees. When you get back, let us know how it worked out for you.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Nightwalker

Postby Nightwalker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:40 am

I carry a ~1 oz squeeze bottle in my pocket with alcohol in it and use it for the meal at hand. Especially in the wickatized stove that Skids sent me, it lights right up!

Skids: 54% efficiency with the right pot and screen! Cool, eh? 19 ml of alcohol to boil 2 cups of 48F water. That's the best that I've had with any stove yet. It was with the plumber's cloth stove that you inscribed on the bottom.

Thanks again, buddy!
Just Hike!

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:51 am

Nightwalker wrote:I carry a ~1 oz squeeze bottle in my pocket with alcohol in it and use it for the meal at hand. Especially in the wickatized stove that Skids sent me, it lights right up!

Skids: 54% efficiency with the right pot and screen! Cool, eh? 19 ml of alcohol to boil 2 cups of 48F water. That's the best that I've had with any stove yet. It was with the plumber's cloth stove that you inscribed on the bottom.

Thanks again, buddy!

Does it have a name? Which stove was it? What kind of pot did you use?

Nightwalker

Postby Nightwalker » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:07 pm

zelph wrote:Does it have a name? Which stove was it? What kind of pot did you use?

You'll have to ask Skids the name. I think that he might call it an Open-Style TTII. It has a small insert that you replace after filling.

I kind of cheated on the pot. It's a JetBoil GCS pot with the heat exchanger. The extra weight on the pot saves huge amounts of weight on the alcohol on a longish trip. 4 days is about the over/under point.
Just Hike!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:16 am

Nightwalker wrote:
zelph wrote:Does it have a name? Which stove was it? What kind of pot did you use?

You'll have to ask Skids the name. I think that he might call it an Open-Style TTII. It has a small insert that you replace after filling.

I kind of cheated on the pot. It's a JetBoil GCS pot with the heat exchanger. The extra weight on the pot saves huge amounts of weight on the alcohol on a longish trip. 4 days is about the over/under point.

Thanks for update. I really like the design of the heat exchanger. I'll have to go back and look for the thread I started and post your comment there about the fuel savings. Thanks Nightwalker.

Skids, whats the name of the stove???

russb

Postby russb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:28 pm

Here is the Starlyte at 6.8*F on Sunday January 20th in the Finger Lakes of NYS.

ImageImageImage

Thanks zelph for letting me test it out in the cold.

bmike

Postby bmike » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:23 am

russb wrote:Here is the Starlyte at 6.8*F on Sunday January 20th in the Finger Lakes of NYS.

ImageImageImage

nice. where abouts in the f lakes? i used to live in canandaigua...

russb

Postby russb » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:24 pm

bmike wrote:
russb wrote:Here is the Starlyte at 6.8*F on Sunday January 20th in the Finger Lakes of NYS.

ImageImageImage

Italy Hill State Forest, along the FLT.

bmike

Postby bmike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:05 pm

russb wrote:
bmike wrote:

ImageImageImage

Italy Hill State Forest, along the FLT.

nice.
used to hike, snowshoe and mtb in hi tor and stid hill area.

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:57 pm

zelph wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:

Thanks for update. I really like the design of the heat exchanger. I'll have to go back and look for the thread I started and post your comment there about the fuel savings. Thanks Nightwalker.

Skids, whats the name of the stove???

Sorry, just saw this thread.

I think NW is talking about the stove on the far right in this photo:

It's an open face(mostly) Turbo Tea-Lite and it's become my personal go-to stove.

This past weekend at Soruck, I boiled two cups on 15 ml for coffee. Temp was around 25 degrees F. I had witnesses. :mrgreen:

Glad you like it NightWalker!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Return to “Urban Legends and Myths Busted”