!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Re: JC Higgins Lantern

Postby zelph » Mon May 12, 2014 9:17 pm

That's downright unique!!!! It has a lot of coolness factored in :geek:

J.C. Higgins was "sears" if I recall :?

Great photos, thank you!

I think you've got one up on ridgerunner,,,don't think he has one of those :D That one is a rare one indeedy...excellent find!
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Your right Dan. I've bid on a few on eBay. I believe AGM made a similar lantern. Congrats on the nice find ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Smaller mantle sounds like a good plan. :)

What could be the advantage of designing a lantern like this one? :?

Will it work better in extreme cold weather because the rising heat will preheat the fuel.... :?

What are the lighting instructions?

The one listed on ebay shows a photo of the sears name on the bottom.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 14, 2014 11:34 am

Ahhhh Yes, no shadow under it when hung. A hanging lantern is it's primary use...duh!!! that went right over my head :lol:

steamjam

Re: JC Higgins Inverted Lantern

Postby steamjam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm

That's an old "Damp-Lamp". It was used by tunnel inspectors and road boys who went deep into dark and damp rail tunnels to repair rail. They would hang it from the old communications hangers, or from the ceiling and work right under it. They were used until the 1970s when battery technology improved enough to make electric lights work for longer lengths of time.

They called them "damp-lamps" because when you use it in a long tunnel, the heat the lamp gave off would cause water to start condensing all over everything in a short time.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:38 pm

What could be the advantage of designing a lantern like this one? :?

While you are carrying it..you could see that root in front of you before you trip over it..without tilting the lantern.. :roll:

Here's an interesting lantern I recently got at a thrift store($4)..Made in Italy..Pietzo lighting with the orange button on the back..never used.Somewhere I have the matching stoves(2 of them..one used,one not).They work well.The orange button slides sideways triggering the pietzo..lighting the stove(lantern?) and setting the amount of heat(light?) all in one motion..then slide to off..no muss..no fuss.I assume this "light"(heater?)..does the same thing..works on gas canisters..This lantern hasn't been used,still has the original mantle..probably 1970s..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:51 pm

If I remember right,I think the stove(or lantern) takes one of the puncture type canisters that can't be removed until it is empty..not as big of diameter as the big blue Gaz ones..maybe globetrotter size..Optimus made them and other companies.I have a couple dozen canisters of all sizes(collect them also..)

These are one of the stoves...Of course it's the the one on the right...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:34 pm

steamjam wrote:That's an old "Damp-Lamp". It was used by tunnel inspectors and road boys who went deep into dark and damp rail tunnels to repair rail. They would hang it from the old communications hangers, or from the ceiling and work right under it. They were used until the 1970s when battery technology improved enough to make electric lights work for longer lengths of time.

They called them "damp-lamps" because when you use it in a long tunnel, the heat the lamp gave off would cause water to start condensing all over everything in a short time.

totally interesting history of the lamp....whodda thunk it :o thank you!!!

Ever notice how water condenses on the side of a pot of cold water when you start to heat it up?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:28 pm

I think the oldest full canister I have is from an old Preppo(Prepo?) 2 burner butane stove from the early 50s..The stove had never been used but for some reason I think I threw it away. :roll: .I never could find anything out about the stove.It was a 2 burner I think..red in color like the canister.
Someone sold me a Gaz stove AND a 12 pack of canisters or cartridges...for $15 at a garage sale..I still have the case of full canisters and a bunch of the blue Gaz stoves..plus a few Globetrotters.They were nice compact butane stoves in their day with the pot being the cover...
Hmm..maybe it was a single burner..like this..
http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/p ... en-6212442
I might still have it buried in the "stove wasteland" in the garage somewhere... :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:09 am

I've not seen one of those, cuz. Does it use the old Gaz canisters?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”