Indy Rob

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Indy Rob

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm

We ran into a nice yard sale this holiday weekend as a nice young man from Indy came to town, hoping to sell his worldly possessions to the incoming college kids before heading on a sight seeing journey around the country and maybe South America. He was parring down his camping gear to just the essentials. I gave him three different stoves from Zelph's Stoveworks to test out. I wish we had more time to visit and wished him well in his endeavors. I took off his hands an Eureka Sunrise 4-man tent for car camping, a slumberjack 3/4 length self inflating pad, a slumberjack bivouac and Stumpjumper picked up a nice Slumberjack four season sleeping bag system. He also gave me a couple other nice items. Here is a pic of the Eureka tent.
ImageImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Indy Rob

Postby zelph » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Nice tent, my favorite "brand" I have 2 "Headquarters" (6 person) :D

Is Indy Rob going to tent camp while sightseeing? He now has the best of stoves for his cooking needs :P
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Shame on me :oops: , I did not inquire about his shelter. He sold a nice Jansport pack as he had a nicer one. Of course, my interest was in his stove, which I believe was a pocket rocket and maybe a whisperlite. He mentioned that he had friends and relatives, scattered across the country, that he would be visiting. He pondered about being a minimalist, ultralighter, but also having those one or two luxury items. He plugged the site info into his phone so maybe he will stop by to visit and let us know what he thinks of the stoves :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Hope he stop by for a chat once in a while :D

What was his transportation, bike, car, thumbing his way across?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:01 am

He drove a pickup truck here to carry all his furniture, bicycles, etc. I'm not sure on his mode of transportation for his journey. I assumed it was by foot with all his gear in his pack.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Sounds like an adventuresome lad :D

How many tents you have now and which tent/tents will you get rid of now that you have a quality Eureka?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:52 pm

zelph wrote:Sounds like an adventuresome lad :D

How many tents you have now and which tent/tents will you get rid of now that you have a quality Eureka?

I would guess that the tent count has to be around twenty, give or take a few. Most are two man or solo tents. I only have a couple larger tent and just lightened the load by leaving a degrading REI large dome up for the winter. The sun sure does do a job on tent fabric over time :o I have three Eureka Timberline tents. So I am we'll aware of Eureka's quality ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:36 pm

I've given all my tents away and kept the best 2. I'll be taking both with me to Alabama this winter. One will be used as a "screen tent" :D The tents really have large screened windows that make for a very "airy" environment.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Here are a few pics of the Slumberjack Bivy Shelter that I got from Indy Rob.....

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:49 am

I used to be agile enough to get in one of those. :lol: Looks difficult to zip it up once you are inside, is there a 2' cord attached to the zipper to make it a little easier to pull on it :P

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”