Outback Oven Plus 10

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
ConnieD

Re: Outback Oven Plus 10

Postby ConnieD » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:11 pm

realityguy, :dinner:

Have you baked using the Outback Oven?

Did you get the thermometer with your outfit?

The individual components are available: http://www.backpackerspantry.com/invent ... ccessories

I have re-visited their website, recently. There is also a Backcountry Baking 101 booklet.

I already have the Outback Oven Ultralight and an additional "Pot Parka".

I know I would like to have the booklet.

Here is a description of Outback Oven experience: http://www.wildernesscooking.com/outback-oven-ul.htm

My first experience with the Outback Oven UL was with the packaged double fudge brownie mix. I added some walnut pieces. I couldn't believe backpacking food could taste that good! I actually still have the empty package from the foccacia mix. It meant a lot to me.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:23 pm

Haven't used it yet..Still sitting where I took the picture.. :lol: I'm SO not into hiking at the moment...even though it's averaging about 45-55 degrees day and night around here.I got sick(flu?) again(twice in one fricken winter! :o )..I wanna kill someone... :evil: I've been on a "circular quest" lately..You know..Trying to make ends meet between the money coming in and the bills.. ;) Seems the bills somehow get here faster.. :roll:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 pm

I "hibernate" until the next round of income and outcome - outcome from spending income.

I do a lot of my "hibernation" in the woods.

On the west coast, I walk on the beach: Life's a beach.

You might feel better, then again, 7 UP and saltines may be indicated for the flu.

I have been thinking again, and, you know how dangerous that is: well, MAYBE a "stove standard" for "simmer" may be "BAKE" on the Outback Oven thermometer. I know "simmer" is for a "simmer" sauce, which of course makes food taste good.

Maybe we need two "standards" for backpacker stoves:

1. hot, flame thrower and torch
2. simmer sauce, and/or BAKE.

Maybe three "standards" for backpacker stoves:

1. "boil 2 cups water FAST"
2. "simmer" sauce
3. and/or BAKE.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 pm

I "hibernate" until the next round of income and outcome -

I think out-go is more appropriate... ;)

Simmer and bake are pretty much the same in my stoves with a small diameter burner for that option but the heat factor is adjustable by the height of the pot above the stove.They produce minimal bubbles in the pot while they are burning..just a very small string of them coming up in simmer mode...I can use an "adjustable" pointed potstand that just pushes into the ground..depending on what type of "stove burn" I want.If I place the pot low over my stove,less than 1",it eliminates the simmer mode,super heats the stove, and burns with a full flame the diameter of a 6" pot,even if only the center well has fuel.I don't need to even add fuel in the outside well.If I want an adjustable burn by itself,I raise the pot to about 1-1/4"+ and it'll burn in both modes..do the boil for ten minutes(depending on fuel quantity in the outer well,then adjust itself for the simmer for 20-30 minutes.It all depends on what a person wants or needs for the meal..and how high the pot is placed above the stove.If I want just a long bake,I'll fill the center well to "showing fuel',raise the pot to 1-1/2" and it'll simmer for 40-50 minutes.
I'll bake like I usually bake(dry) but try the 'outback tent' option for maybe a larger meal or dessert or meal itself that needs to simmer in a 9" pan or so.The nice thing about the 'tent'..is that it folds and gets smaller for packing..something an optimus type bake setup doesn't do.I might try it also with a couple paper clips to make it a smaller diameter when needed..say folded unto itself to form a 6" diameter tent.
One more note..If a person wants a "simmer stove"..you could just make one about 1-1/2" high stuffed with fiberglass cloth and stainless mesh over the top..under a 1" hole" as the burner
area.
Take one of those 2" aluminum bottles I found(and zelph moved to the open forum from the PM I sent him)cut the bottom off at 1-1/2"..cut the top off at 1-1/2",fill it with rolled fiberglass cloth(edge up..then force the top portion down into the bottom.Depending on the pot height,you'll get a variable burning stove.Place it low(1/2 to 3/4") and it'll boil with a 6" flame spread(but evaporate and use fuel more rapidly)..place it high(1-1/2") and it'll simmer for a LONG time..as mine do.Having a separate unfixed-for-height potstand allows the adjustments.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

I don't know. I have problems picturing all that from words, except for the variable pot stand height.

I am looking at this from the standpoint of food preparation: a good "simmer" reduces the water without burning the food, as a good sauce is a "simmer sauce" from a reduction if the spices are not still "raw". Only slightly roasting spices in oil will help some "raw" spices, and then, proceed to make the recipe. But that is more about food preparation than temperature of the pot or the pan.

note: I roast spices in a little oil in the bottom of the pot or the pan starting out, before adding water.

It seems to me, a "simmer" is small bubbles. If you can have a "simmer sauce" the flavors are enhanced. The "rolling boil" is for the food preparation that needs it: for example, cocoa added to the boil has a cocoa flavor odor right away, and, as it rests off the flame, the cocoa has the cocoa flavor odor a second time when the cocoa powder is no longer "raw" and it is is ready to drink.

The "dry bake" and the "steam bake" may be different temperatures. I suspect the "steam bake" is the same as the "simmer" because the small bubbles of a reliable "simmer" hot water is making steam, that is to say, a "simmer" is not the first small bubbles and a little steam "smoke" rising off the water.

I suspect "simmer" only works well on the way back down from "boiling". On the oven range at home, I only get a reliable "simmer" on the way back down from "boil". It doesn't hold as well, if I try to come up to a "simmer".

I have two "inside out stoves" from the "bounce box". One is tall and one is short. I noticed they burn at a different rate. My thought was that one might make a good "simmer stove" and one might make a good "fast boil" stove. [Whatever happened to the "inside out" stove production, anyway?]

I found my Outback Oven UL kit. The thermometer is there.

I think I will listen for the pot to boil with the Outback Oven thermometer on the top of the pot lid. The lids with drain holes might allow me to use a metal thermometer. I could make a lid with one hole the size of the metal thermometer probe, because that much information might be useful.

I am very interested to know if "dry bake" and "steam bake" are the same.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:45 pm

In a dry bake,you'll get browning of the top of the muffin or crust or whatever..with steam you won't...With steam your dough will stay white and wet..unless the pot you are cooking in totally dries before you are finished cooking.Some people add gravel in the bottom to retain the heat and not burn the pan so bad.I use stainless for my outer pans when dry baking because they will take the excessive heat of doing so.
Try making one of the pudding ring setups with the piepan under it with the hole in it,and a lid with some small holes..heat goes up the center and cooks your "coffee ring" more on the top.
These show a good example of "top browning" using that setup.

Here's a couple more..the three together were done dry on the stainless counter at home over my alcohol stove.The one on the rock was done out hiking with a little water(1/2" or less) in the pan,probably the spice can stove(same one).Keep in mind the lid holds the moisture in so there are still water drops in the stainless pot.I think they are all blackberry muffins..or a combo of my yard berries(blackberries,tayberries,thimbleberries,and raspberries).

Sometime I am going to make some Char Siu Bow with the steam setup..They do bake them also..good either way.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:54 pm

I have never seen pudding rings for sale except by searching online.

I do like asian steamed buns. I see no reason why I wouldn't like steamed muffins.

Nevertheless, I am interested in achieving the difference for backpacking.

I am glad you mentioned stainless steel for "dry baking" but even a stainless steel pan can warp. I never tried the rocks in the bottom of the pan, I do not want the pan to warp. These backpacking pans are expensive.

I am not willing to sacrifice the famous and legendary Grease Pot, either.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:15 pm

I have a set of "decanters" in the stainless that give me three heights for baking.I can use curtain hook "racks" and stack pots/pans in the deeper one or two of the set.The "racks" clip on the top so I can pull the pans out by the racks and reverse which one is on top to cook them more evenly...I always use a third rack/potstand on the bottom about 1/2" high to hold the aluminum inner pot off the bottom odf the outer pot.I've done a lot o baking and the pots are holding up fine.I do use some real thin ones for outer pots also that "pop" ocassionally from the heat,but have never warped.Buy a cheap stainless pan and lid to experiment..Don't use your titanium.The do get off color and blue here and there.

The bear poop cookies were both baked at once stacked in a pot..one for dinner and one for breakfast.. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 pm

In that same album RG look at photo 30 of 36. The salt shaker reminds me of Skidsteers got2be stove container. Just fill the holes with jb weld and add a silicone washer to seal threads. Sorry for the drift :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Actually..the spice can stove got used a lot but the inner burner is hotter(and wider diameter) than needed for baking.I recommend 1-1/8" maximum diameter in the middle burner.On the Sheba,I made the inner burner out of a smaller bottle,using the bottom portion for the sides of the outer burner and the cone top with the smaller hole for the inner one,leaving about 1-4"-3/8" space between the two..which the flame hops anyway...
Most of the S&P shakers are too large a diameter or too tall.I still have a dozen or so of the tiny ones about 1" high I want to make a multiple burner out of like the "altoids can" one I made that had three burners.

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”