Road Kill

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
sudden

Road Kill

Postby sudden » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Once upon a time.... I used to be a hunter.....I had the eyes of a hawk... I could spot the flick of a deers ear from 200 yards away, in low light, in a blinding snowstorm, with one eye closed.

So the other day my nephew was driving down the highway at 60mph and I hollered STOP! I think that's a woodstove!

A mile later (after he stopped laughing) he finally came to a stop. I convinced him to go back so I could take a second look. Sure enough there were several pieces of metal scattered in the tall grass along the highway. It turned out to be a perfectly good chimney starter that must have fallen off a truck or the top of a car. I gathered all the parts and rebuilt it as he sped down the highway towards camp.

I still have the eyes of a hawk :lol:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Re: Road Kill

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:06 pm

I see pieces of stoves scattered along the country roads all the time :lol: Only once have I found the 24oz Foster and 240z. Heine cook pot material laying amongst the stove parts. :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 am

I still have the eyes of a hawk :lol:

Yes!!!!!!!! you still gottem.....................nice spotting there sudden. Next year you'll have an entry for the Stove Of The Month Club. :D Tell your nephew to slow down and you'll have your stove built in short order :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:50 am

I noticed in craigslist yesterday that someone had a free Sweet Home stove(like mine) and full chimney pack about 5 miles away..I almost emailed but don't know where I would put/store it.That's about a $600-700 package these days.. :o ...In my opinion,it's one of the most efficient(if not THE most efficient) stoves on the market..but is uncertified(certified in oregon a year before this state had certification),so you can't use it in new house construction or a new installation with a permit(I'm "grandfathered" on mine).
I don't need a spare..because my Sweet Home won't wear out in my lifetime.. :roll: I already have an extra 6" stainless chimney package I picked up at a garage sale here in the summer for $10.I'm already getting "what are you gonna do with that?" from the other half.I'll probably stick that chimney up on craigs here for $50 .. :lol: during the next cold spell..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:06 pm

I noticed in craigslist yesterday that someone had a free Sweet Home stove(like mine) and full chimney pack about 5 miles away..I almost emailed but don't know where I would put/store it.That's about a $600-700 package these days..

You better check your temperature, you are not feeling well. You coulda stashed it in your van :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:43 pm

After last week's cold spell into the low 20s or so..the chance of it still being there was slim to none. :roll:
When I respond to craigs ads..I add "Near 60 and NOT FLAKY!!!"on the subject line..You wouldn't believe how many times people have said they've passed up other unopened emails and went right to MINE!It works..especially if you are(and aren't)! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”