Handy Tool! Swedish Brush Axe

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Re: Handy Tool! Swedish Brush Axe

Postby zelph » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:51 am

Hey!!! off topic stuff here............................I think I know why you get such good deals up around Seattle.............it's a college/university town. I went up into Wisconsin several time this year to Madison(University of Wisc. at Madison)). I found a thrift store there with some quality items at low prices. I was there yesterday and watched them unload a truck full of items. I purchased 2 items, an electric scooter(razor) and a thermoelectric cooler/fridge made by Coleman. The cooler was $2.00 and the scooter was $5.00. So, if you live near a college town it may pay to visit the thrift stores there, look for the biggest one that may be contracted by the university to take away all the stuff that comes out of student dorms.

I plan to remove the cooling/heating element from the cooler to experiment with converting heat into electricity. I want the dc motor off the scooter

A happy side note: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr ... ost1031795
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:58 am

I thought you were going to mount the cooler as a seat on the cooler,and go "car-camping"....Actually..Bellingham's a college town and they have nothing but crap in those thrift stores...but..you idea could be a possibility.The stores AWAY from the college are better than the ones nearby..The ones close get stripped by the college kids..and that might be only a seasonal thing(school's out for summer!)..at the semester change..
Your items could be college things,for campus transportation and cold beer..

On the other hand..I bought three mountain bikes yesterday..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:36 am

This is what I've been up to(since we are still on thrift store buys):--->
Mini folding road bike!

I' ve modified this folder into a tiny road bike..skinnier bmx competition tires and rims,seat change(have to make a more kicked back post change yet,have it,maybe a better quality seat),handlebar change,added cailper brakes,removed the fenders..dropped about 7-8lbs.I'm on a quest for a 5-7 speed rear cassette/ derailure with 32 spokes to convert it to a 5speed..stuck with a bmx single speed right now.Everything i see close has 28 or 36 spokes.. :cry: .It rides fine..but I might go to a more hybrid style(straight bar) upright handlebars with an index shifter when I find the hub..I'm looking..

Cleaned these up..found some new pedals/seat for one for $3,fixed a flat with a new tube I bought at a thrift store for $2, changed out a seat,fixed a busted shifter for $15...
People around here don't seem to clean their bikes when they get dirty.. :lol: These have hardly been ridden!Indexed shimano shifters make shifting simple and exact.two have twist grips....
The wife wants the small one..and I'll probably keep one of the large ones..sell off a couple road bikes to make room. :roll:
:DB: :DB: :DB:

One more note..lately some of the roads to trailheads are being abandoned(more each day!) as they washout adding a couple miles to the hikes and making others not worthwhile.Due to the economy,they don't want to fix the things.These extra miles are making some of the best trails "more remote"..unless you use a mountain bike to ride from your car,stash it in the woods,and hike the trails..hence..I'll probably be keeping a set for the wife and me... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:26 pm

I think the people around there are goofy for letting such nice bikes go for such cheap prices. University students have rich mommies and daddies :D :o

That's a good thing to have to bike in to get to the trail head. Fewer people to pick the berries, more for you ;)

I would prefer a bmx handle bar on the folder :D

What did you think of the guy at WB getting the ti set for a buck?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:07 am

I don't follow WB..
I was looking at a straight bar handle bar,index shifter,and 6 speeds today..for $30 on a bike I was going to dismantle..all on an lightweight alloy rim..but everything was too wide to get it in there..I'll keep looking..

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:22 am

realityguy wrote:I don't follow WB..

I gave you the link in the first post of this page. Check it out!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:48 am

Okay..saw the link.I hit a church "gym" sale yestetrday and all I got was a Peak 1 in in an OR bag with wrench and matches..excellent condition for $5 and a Minolta 16MM camera for 10 cents... :roll: I gave them $6..and "Keep the change!".. :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:59 pm

How many time a day do you go thrifting?

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:06 pm

Sell on eBay, make money on postage. If you have a UPS "account" you pay a little less than the fee eBay calculates.

I met someone who said his "profit margin" on the inexpensive items he sells is the difference.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 pm

How many time a day do you go thrifting?

Only go once a day..probably hit 3-4 stores... and "socialize" for about 3-4 hours :lol: .... :mrgreen: .. Nice day today..Nice down bag,antique True-temper battleax hatchet,North Face "tarptent/fly" complete with stuff sack,lines, and nice aluminum pole set(If I don't pack the poles it weighs 1lb 4oz,and covers 5x9..not including the nice beaks at each end).Add a couple top tieouts at the upper peaks at each end would be a dynamite hammock tarp(or camp or setup without poles or trek poles) with beaks over the ends of the hammock ends!(pic below),a couple led flashlights,32 triple A batteries,and a brand new sealed package Garmin Etrex(but dated 2001).
I did get some other stuff:A nice expensive bike handlebar(straight alloy one for the folder),an Eliason Stair Gauge (huh?.....I knew what it was),a sealed quart of fiberglass resin(what the heck..$1!),and a bunch of other small stuff..
I filled a cart so bad I had to get a second one. :oops: . :lol: ..probably about $30 total...

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”