Some thrift store info...

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
shingaling

Some thrift store info...

Postby shingaling » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:16 am

I don't want to use this space to whine too much about big business, but since so many of you haunt your local thrift store, I thought I might fill you in on how some of their inner workings...

For the last two years I've been working in a thrift store. It's the 'big dog' as far as thrift store chains go, and within the company itself, my store is one of the busiest locations. Here are some points of interest about the operation:

[*]You donate good stuff, right? WRONG! By the company's own statistics, 75% of your donation is "unsellable". It might be usable to someone, somewhere, but it's not exciting enough to sell. They don't want you to know that.

[*]Our store takes in 25 to 30,000 items a DAY (on-site donations, and at least 2 truckloads collected by the charity). We sort through about 20,000 items each day, putting 5,000 items on the sales floor (that "good" 25%). Some items that are usable but not considered "sellable" are put onto trailers and sent off to the Third World. (The thrift store loves to tell you that - they leave out the fact that it's SOLD to those countries) So almost all of the clothes donated will go to good use, along with a lot of shoes, assorted kitchen ware, purses, bags, toys etc. Our store alone sends out 2 trailers per week of goods for the Third World, and one trailer of overflow donations that go to some of the less-busy stores that don't get as many.

[*]The unsellable, unusable donations equal 6 TONS of garbage a day (just at our one store).
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

zelph

Re: Some thrift store info...

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Whoa!!!!!!amazing statistics. Thanks for the information. How much salable scrap metal, any idea?

Glad they are shipping to the 3rd world countries, good to know. Are the goods sold to cover shipping only or for a profit?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”