Found my Holy Grail..I can quit shoppin' now!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Found my Holy Grail..I can quit shoppin' now!

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:25 pm

NOT! :lol: :lol:

I had to head up north a couple towns and "order" more Eveedents for the bogus carpool ticket from the Washington State Patrol..Figured I better hit the thrift stores there while I was at it..SCORE! :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB:
I found my personal "Holy Grail"..the item I've dreamed of finding but assumed the chances of finding it were one in a million,especially since it's made in Camden,Maine at the opposite end of the US world from Seattle!
MOSS one man bivy tent..probably used only a couple times,if used more than once..very clean and the fabric doesn't stick and barely any polyurethane smell at all.Made in 1979(by the tag inside).
Unique design with a couple flaps over mesh on both sides,polyurethane pan floor and back end.Damage,the front has two tiny holes in the bug screen,the largest being a tear about 3/4"x1/16" and the other a round hole less than a 1/4"..other than that everything is in excellent condition.This only uses two anodized aluminum shockcorded poles,one full length along the top and one 1/2 bowed across the entry end.
This is a rare one..never have seen it before anywhere around here or on the net.I thought their "one man" tent was larger and a totally different shape.Inside is about 36" wide and about 8' overall..didn't really measure it.If you roll the fly up on both sides,you could stake it out with 3-4 stakes..otherwise I'd use 6 for the fly(3 on each side) and 6 for the tent(3 at each end).
Everything in the original stuff sack(along with the pole sack and stake sack)..weighs right on 3lbs.(2lbs 9oz without stuff sacks)

Am I going to use it?...NO!It's an heirloom! :shock: ..But I will be taking dimensions and making a copy for use... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Found my Holy Grail..I can quit shoppin' now!

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Am I going to use it?...NO!It's an heirloom!:lol:

:lol:

How tall is the front entrance?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:34 pm

I didn't measure it but probably only about 24-28"..maybe it's 42" across or so..???..I can't find any stats on it..but i think it's called the Moss Cricket(looks like one)..Got feelers out there to find out..
I didn't go in it..but the bigger cat made a mad dash and got in..I hoisted the back and kicked him out.. :evil:
I also picked up 5+ yards of yellow-gold(where the heck is all the yellow-gold coming from lately? :o ) polyurethane-coated- nylon(X 60"wide) for $2..hmm..my Goretex might be just the right size/color for the fly for one...black tulle for screen.. :roll: ..That would be cool colors for one..but not exactly "stealth"unless you're camping on the sun... :lol: .I picked up an old external frame "Camptrails" backpack also..only because it had another short thermarest inside...I figure I can use the "shoulder straps/hipbelt" portion for my own pack I'll be sewing up soon...maybe the strapping/clips also...another hmm...

My karma must feel it really owes me lately for that BS carpool ticket! :lol: It's been a good week!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:48 pm

:roll: Super nice find Cuz!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Dan..38" across the front and 23" high inside...It would definitely suck getting in and out of the tent over mud.. :roll:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:05 pm

that is quite possibley the coolest tent i've ever seen! :mrgreen:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 pm

No Daren..this one is tame compared to the other Moss tents..go here--->

http://www.lazily.net/

(keep trying until it let's you in..busy site in Japan)..then go to his "shelter" file..You can see individual models of Moss tents(not this one!)..click on the pictures... :shock: (Hey..how come we don't have a "drool" smiley?) :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

think it's called the Moss Cricket(

Only a cricket and your cat can crawl into it :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:55 pm

dan ...pm.. ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:03 am

Wow, this cat has a collection. Not only does he have the bordeBomb but he has all three pot support setups.http://www.lazily.net/camp/stove/borde.html I am so envious!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”